Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain

It's February, so for Valentine's I went to...Dutch, and...

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I thought I would share some love for several of the vendors here on the forum. I have recently picked up a number of items from several folks and am excited to show off their great products!

First up is the TATO Gear Stand I just got in the mail today from Dutch/TATO Gear. First impression: WOW!

Things I like:
    1. It's EASY: Two tripods, one center pole, stake it down, hang your hammock.
    2. It's TALL: I hung my new 12 ft. SLD Trail Lair on it with no issues. The first photo shows the Trail Lair with the tripods at maximum height. Plenty of room underneath. I then lowered each tripod leg two positions, and it still gave me 6 to 8 inches of clearance for an UQ/UQP.
    3. It's WIDE: Even with a 12 ft. hammock the tripods don't really get in the way of accessing the hammock. My Trail Lair is a DL with Wide material, so I can really get a pretty deep diagonal lay. As a side sleeper who moves and adjusts positions, I can stay clear of the tripods and still squiggle and squirm and use all of the width of the hammock as necessary for comfort.
    4. Tarp OPTIONS: I can lay the tarp over the center bar, attach it just under the center bar, attach it to my suspension, or event use my hammock ridgeline for various heights/angles/ setups.
    5. It's CONSISTENT: I think this is the secret sauce for any of the stands. Once you dial in your specific comfort settings for the hammock itself, that part of the process becomes "Set it and Forget it." You are adjusting the legs or angles for the terrain, but the hangle and height function in concert the set distance apart and your comfort.

Things to consider:
    1. It's HEAVY: No-brainer here, but this is not going over the mountain. It is sturdy, but comes at a cost in weight. I am a car camper, or better yet, a "glammocker." I don't mind loading the minivan with lots of extra creature comforts.
    2. It's TIPSY: I can see why it might "kite" or sail with a hammock attached. I did not stake it down (artificial turf in my backyard) and it rocked a bit during setup. It comes with 4 stakes. It may have already been discussed on the Forum why, but I would like to have all the legs staked down. Super double extra safe nuclear option.
    3. It's WIDE: It takes up a good bit of room, so if you are glammocking and the site you have is pretty small, this might dominate the space.

Overall, I am excited to put it to use. I will update with a field report next month.

Best to you!

IMG_2402.jpgIMG_2404.jpgIMG_2403.jpgIMG_2405.jpgIMG_2407.jpgIMG_2408.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Boston Fan, I’ve been waiting for them to come in but I still don’t see them on Dutch’s web site. Would you please edit to add a link to its product page on Dutch’s site?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Boston Fan, I’ve been waiting for them to come in but I still don’t see them on Dutch’s web site. Would you please edit to add a link to its product page on Dutch’s site?
    Cougarmeat,

I signed up to the email list and when I got the update from Dutch I bought it within the hour. They go super quick. I will add the link for the email notification for everyone.

Best to you!

Boston Fan

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
    Cougarmeat,

I signed up to the email list and when I got the update from Dutch I bought it within the hour. They go super quick. I will add the link for the email notification for everyone.

Best to you!

Boston Fan
    Ok, so I don't see the email signup anymore. Very interesting. I would reach out to Dutch and see if he has a update on when they will be available and/or if there is a signup list.

Hey Boston,

Congrats on your hammock stand. I am in the market for a stand, but I am 99 percent sure, I am going to get the Tensa 4. My primary use will be for car camping and Driftboat Camping. Here in the High Desert river country, there are pretty much only Junipers to hang from. I like Junipers but they are not conducive for hanging. Lots of sticky, pokey, sharp limbs massed together, at the base.

When I have my hammock hung, to kill the "sail effect", I take three pieces of cordage and wrap it around my entire hammock setup ( UQP, Underquilt, Topquilt and Hammock. I tie the three pieces off to the ridgeline. It basically ends up looking like a sausage, tied in three places, with the top of the overhand knots, ontop of the ridgeline. You could also skip tying it to the ridgeline by just rolling up the suasage and tying it off on top of the topquilt. Both ways work and both ways kill the "sail effect". My cordage is old cotton shoelaces that double as drip lines on the suspension.

I also package my hammock setup the above mentioned way, when I will be out of camp and am concerned about theft. I remove the package from the suspension and stuff the whole shebang into a stuff sack, that goes into the truck. When I get back to camp, I just take the hammock ends and reattach each, to the suspension. I then unite the three knots, and climb into bed.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Hey Boston,

Congrats on your hammock stand. I am in the market for a stand, but I am 99 percent sure, I am going to get the Tensa 4. My primary use will be for car camping and Driftboat Camping. Here in the High Desert river country, there are pretty much only Junipers to hang from. I like Junipers but they are not conducive for hanging. Lots of sticky, pokey, sharp limbs massed together, at the base.

When I have my hammock hung, to kill the "sail effect", I take three pieces of cordage and wrap it around my entire hammock setup ( UQP, Underquilt, Topquilt and Hammock. I tie the three pieces off to the ridgeline. It basically ends up looking like a sausage, tied in three places, with the top of the overhand knots, ontop of the ridgeline. You could also skip tying it to the ridgeline by just rolling up the suasage and tying it off on top of the topquilt. Both ways work and both ways kill the "sail effect". My cordage is old cotton shoelaces that double as drip lines on the suspension.

I also package my hammock setup the above mentioned way, when I will be out of camp and am concerned about theft. I remove the package from the suspension and stuff the whole shebang into a stuff sack, that goes into the truck. When I get back to camp, I just take the hammock ends and reattach each, to the suspension. I then unite the three knots, and climb into bed.

Have fun.

Bob
    Thanks Bob!

I am hoping my tarp will address most of the sailing concerns but your advice on bundling is greatly appreciated. I have my eye on an SLD Catchall sack as well. Are you looking at the Tensa4 or thinking the Solo?

Best to you!

Boston,

Im going to go with the Tensa 4.

The Catchall sack will do just fine i imagine.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Boston,

Im going to go with the Tensa 4.

The Catchall sack will do just fine i imagine.
    Bob,

Please take some photos when you get your new stand/setup. Always good to see how others are getting things dialed in. Junipers are No Bueno for hanging for sure. Just goes to show that there is a lot of variety in the PNW.

Best to you!
    There is a skinny healthy guy inside me screaming to get out, but I can usually shut him up with a dozen Boston Creams from Dunkin Donuts.

• + New Posts