1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket

Yeti vs Phoenix. Care to weigh in?

Background: Currently hang w/ a XLC BB, 0deg Wooki and old 30deg quilt. With additional clothing as insulation or venting this combo works really well for a wide span of temps. Very comfy down to 20deg so far, and probably lower. I'm 6'2"

Objectives:
    -buy a 3 season UQ for short backpacking trips in my area (Western NC)
    -own the minimum number of quilts just in general
    -longterm goal of being able to do 2 week section hikes of AT, so weight-conscious
    -Also for the AT reason, relatively settled on 3/4 UQ since also having a partial pad seems like a good idea, although I don't carry one currently. Love the Wooki and have some anxiety about 3/4 UQs not being as comfortable, so I could be convinced otherwise...

Questions:
    -30 or 40 degree? That kind of comes down to what UQ do I want to carry in March and October. I'm leaning toward 30 deg to be able to go lighter the majority of the year but still undecided https://www.go-north-carolina.com/We...tains/Weather/

-Phoenix or Yeti?*** I like the idea of Phoenix since it is apparently 6 inches longer and 4 inches wider in the middle without much weight difference. HG says dimensions are when held taught. Does anyone know if Yeti dimensions are "taut" dimensions?

- The links below report a 30 deg Yeti with 950fp and 10d being 13.1 oz without stuff sack (4.4 oz of which is fill weight) 30 deg Phoenix with 950fp and 10d being 12.58 oz (I assume) without stuff sack, 5.92 oz of fill weight. Huh? Bigger quilt more down and less weight? Is there something I'm missing?

*** I don't see an option to order 7d or 950fp Revolt on EE anymore. I emailed about it and they didn't respond

Reference:
    https://hammockgear.com/content/Specs/PPhoenix.pdf
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...uilt-Specs.pdf

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'm 6'1" and have 20F and 40F Phoenix UQs that I've used with a WB Eldorado (basically the BB XLC, minus the shelf on the bug net). I've never used a Yeti, but it appears to have a similar suspension as the Phoenix.

One of the issues I have with the shock cord suspension is that the Eldorado doesn't have any exterior pack hooks for holding the suspension in place. For me, the issue is the UQ coming off my outside shoulder. On my DW hammocks, there are several pack hooks on the head and foot ends. I usually just need to hook up on the head end and it stays in place. The Phoenix does work with the Eldorado, it's just that sometimes it pops off my shoulder...I think it's mostly due to me trying to side sleep. I did buy some pack hooks to sew on, but never did. The Eldorado is now my loaner hammock.

One other reason I went with the Phoenix: I wasn't sure on my lay direction. Turns out, I'm a flopper so I now have a Chameleon with a symmetrical bug net.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Between the Phoenix and Yeti, I would probably go with the Phoenix, due to it being just a little longer. That said, if one of your goals is to minimize the number of UQs you have, I would highly recommend going with a 20°. This will give you the widest range of use, and can easily be vented in warmer weather and supplemented when it's below 20°. The total weight will increase a little, but I don't think it's all that noticeable. I have a 20° Loco Libre Saver Series- which is 56" long and uses 800fp down, and my pack has never felt heavy because of it.

I also carry a Thermarest Lite sit pad, so that goes in the footbox of my top quilt. I'm 6'1", and the UQ goes from my shoulders down to my lower calf. The sit pad keeps my feet warm, and my pillow keeps my head warm. I've used this setup all the way down to 20° and have never been cold. But I'm also a warm sleeper.

Images
    I'm sure opinions will be all over the place. Not only about whether you should use Warbonnet or Hammock gear, but how long the shorter under Quilts should be and whether you should use any shorter under quilt, or not. I can't give you any advice about the Hammock Gear, though by all accounts they are excellent, as are WB and also JRB. But while I have plenty of good experience with the latter two, I have none with the HG. Just ran out of money and storage room before I could ever get around to testing those.

My stepson and I have some pretty good experience with the Warbonnet Yeti, but not the one you are asking about, the down version. Since about 2007 or so, I have been the proud owner of the original but short-lived version of the Yeti a synthetic, Climashield version which had removable layers of insulation. We have used it with just one layer (roughly 10 ounces worth of weight total, about 2.5- 3 oz of insulation) in the mid 40s, toasty warm, and with additional layers of CS into the 20s. Again, very warm. Never a problem with using it, very consistent. But I have no experience with the down version of the Yeti. But, a highly respected member here (sadly deceased), Cannibal, a self professed extremely warm sleeper, took both the original synthetic version and the newer version (down, when they had trouble getting supplied with Climashield) down to well below their ratings. Here is a picture of him testing on a very cold Denver Christmas, lower single digits, no tarp. You should be able to see where his breath is melting the snow on the bug net. He was still warmly sawing logs when his Dad got up and took this picture. One caveat: that version had a removable "pillow case" of Sil-nylon (Vapor barrier) which completely surrounded the under quilt and which would have added warmth to the UQ as well as preventing his body vapor from condensing in the down insulation, and also served as a wind and snow block. IOW, it would have most certainly added a significant amount of warmth. Particularly by keeping the wind out. As well as this vapor barrier functions. I don't think that is available anymore. But I'm not sure.

I have also used the JRB UQs, both short and full length, with equal success. Always keeping me toasty down to at least the rated temperature. Superb gear, but again, sadly no experience with HG.

Some have mentioned the longer length being a factor in favor of the HG. Which would also apply to the JRB. This is true, but if I'm trying to save bulk and weight, and I'm going to need some sort of pad or pack under my legs anyway, I don't really find that to be much of an issue. The yeti – I think – covers from about the base of my neck down to a few inches below my buttocks. So I need a pad (often, but not always) to cover the distance from my heels to a few inches below my butt. With the JRB, and I assume the HG, I would need a somewhat smaller foot pad. Unless I was using my pack as a foot pad, in which case it will not matter how close to my feet my quilt went.

"- The links below report a 30 deg Yeti with 950fp and 10d being 13.1 oz without stuff sack (4.4 oz of which is fill weight) 30 deg Phoenix with 950fp and 10d being 12.58 oz (I assume) without stuff sack, 5.92 oz of fill weight. Huh? Bigger quilt more down and less weight? Is there something I'm missing?".

Good question! I don't know the answer for that one. Different suspensions? Otherwise, the only way I know to have a quilt that is both bigger and with even more equal quality down, all other things being equal (are they?) is for it to be heavier. Good luck and have fun deciding! I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by possum daddy View Post
    Background: Currently hang w/ a XLC BB, 0deg Wooki and old 30deg quilt. With additional clothing as insulation or venting this combo works really well for a wide span of temps. Very comfy down to 20deg so far, and probably lower. I'm 6'2"

Objectives:
    -buy a 3 season UQ for short backpacking trips in my area (Western NC)
    -own the minimum number of quilts just in general
    -longterm goal of being able to do 2 week section hikes of AT, so weight-conscious
    -Also for the AT reason, relatively settled on 3/4 UQ since also having a partial pad seems like a good idea, although I don't carry one currently. Love the Wooki and have some anxiety about 3/4 UQs not being as comfortable, so I could be convinced otherwise...

Questions:
    -30 or 40 degree? That kind of comes down to what UQ do I want to carry in March and October. I'm leaning toward 30 deg to be able to go lighter the majority of the year but still undecided https://www.go-north-carolina.com/We...tains/Weather/

-Phoenix or Yeti?*** I like the idea of Phoenix since it is apparently 6 inches longer and 4 inches wider in the middle without much weight difference. HG says dimensions are when held taught. Does anyone know if Yeti dimensions are "taut" dimensions?

- The links below report a 30 deg Yeti with 950fp and 10d being 13.1 oz without stuff sack (4.4 oz of which is fill weight) 30 deg Phoenix with 950fp and 10d being 12.58 oz (I assume) without stuff sack, 5.92 oz of fill weight. Huh? Bigger quilt more down and less weight? Is there something I'm missing?

*** I don't see an option to order 7d or 950fp Revolt on EE anymore. I emailed about it and they didn't respond

Reference:
    https://hammockgear.com/content/Specs/PPhoenix.pdf
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...uilt-Specs.pdf

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    The 30 degree Yeti with 950 fill and 10D fabric weighs 8.67 oz according to Warbonnet’s spec sheet.

Yes the Yeti is narrower, but it is an asymmetrical underquilt. I’ve used my 20 degree for a couple of years, and haven’t had any issues with the quilt not staying put. Have also never been cold, even on an 18 degree night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by baldknobber View Post
    The 30 degree Yeti with 950 fill and 10D fabric weighs 8.67 oz according to Warbonnet’s spec sheet.
    I read it that way too, but in another thread someone alleged the listed “item weight” didn’t include the fill weight. My mistake. I confirmed that "item weight" is total weight of suspension and quilt and does not include stuff sack.

I do just fine with the asym lay in the Wooki, but thought the extra length of the phoenix might be a game changer for my height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by possum daddy; 02-02-2022 at 12:42.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Be careful with vendor spec charts. They are estimates. There are variations when the quilts are actually produced that can result in a significant differences. This can be particularly disconcerting when you are counting ounces to reduce weight.

For example ...

My 20* 850-fill Yeti in 20D fabric weighs 13.4 oz.
    The Warbonnet spec sheet shows that configuration to be 11.75 oz.
    The margin of error on the spec weight in this case is over 14%.

I only mention this so that you aren't relying too heavily on the vendor-provided spec weights when you factor them in to your decision-making.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Good point. I'll probably end up choosing by functional differences instead of freaking over a few oz. For example I know I'm fine with asym, but I don't know enough about partial UQ to know if the suspensions are substantially different.

Images
    Good point. I'll probably end up choosing by functional differences instead of freaking over a few oz. For example I know I'm fine with asym, but I don't know enough about partial UQ to know if the suspensions are substantially different.
    I don't think the Yeti suspension is significantly different from other UQs. Or at least the one on my very old one is similar to the JRB Greylock which I think is similar the HG. An exception is some full length(or my convertible model) JRBs which do not have a "perimeter" or "surround" suspension(but, the JRB Greylock does.). I can't speak to things about suspension strength or thickness. I am only speaking of design. All are pretty similar with that surround design. With varying secondary suspension designs, or, no secondary suspension for the Yeti. Or at least they didn't have that in the past. Easy DIY though, if desired. ....................................... But, there might be some minor differences in suspension strength/thickness or secondary suspension design which could vary weight slightly.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    As a general rule, suspensions on full length and partial length UQs are basically the same.
    However, there is a distinction between these two partials. The Phoenix comes with a secondary suspension whereas the Yeti does not. The Yeti does have little D-rings at the corners, though, so you could add one easily enough if you wanted to.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast