WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by possum daddy View Post
    I read it that way too, but in another thread someone alleged the listed “item weight” didn’t include the fill weight. I’ll just email and ask… doesn’t seem right

I do just fine with the asym lay in the Wooki, but thought the extra length of the phoenix might be a game changer for my height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 20 degree Yeti with 850 fill and 1 oz overfill and 10D fabric weighs 11.53 oz.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Adding pack hooks to a Black Bird and or Eldorado is easy and only takes a few minutes.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by baldknobber View Post
    My 20 degree Yeti with 850 fill and 1 oz overfill and 10D fabric weighs 11.53 oz.
    Perfect thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a 20deg Yeti and have used it several times. See some of my comments and questions here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...meleon-hammock

It is quite light and compact. As someone above noted, it does not have a secondary suspension, and I have found that it has a tendency to shift around under me at night - usually riding up and leaving my thighs to start getting cold. Mine also does not have the pack hooks someone else mentioned, but I was planning to just sew some loops on to add a secondary suspension. Last spring, I used it a couple times down into the upper 20s without any issues. It was a bit chilly at times, but adding the secondary suspension would probably fix those issues. I just recently tried pushing the limits of it in temperatures down to 16deg, with single digit wind chills. My feet were absolutely frigid. I might have better luck with a real sit pad, as opposed to a piece of reflectix, but I ended up putting hand warmers inside each sock to make it through the night okay.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is pretty easy to add a secondary suspension to a partial UQ like the Yeti and it really helps to keep it from accordion-ing in on you.
    Carry Forth~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    That said, if one of your goals is to minimize the number of UQs you have, I would highly recommend going with a 20°. This will give you the widest range of use, and can easily be vented in warmer weather and supplemented when it's below 20°. The total weight will increase a little, but I don't think it's all that noticeable.
    Thanks for the response. I considered 20d, but I currently use the 0deg full length year round and will be keeping it. I was thinking 30 or 40 might be a good compromise between bulk/warmth when I'm not carrying the 0deg. I imagine still using the 0deg when low 30s are expected.

I currently don't use a sit pad, spoiling myself with a light camp chair. I wish I could try a 3/4 UQ with my reflectix cozy and chair material in the footbox. Seems like a torso length pad makes more sense with a short quilt like a Yeti, but I'm imagining torso pad + Yeti being less comfortable compared to sit pad + Phoenix.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the response. I considered 20d, but I currently use the 0deg full length year round and will be keeping it. I was thinking 30 or 40 might be a good compromise between bulk/warmth when I'm not carrying the 0deg. I imagine still using the 0deg when low 30s are expected.

I currently don't use a sit pad, spoiling myself with a light camp chair. I wish I could try a 3/4 UQ with my reflectix cozy and chair material in the footbox. Seems like a torso length pad makes more sense with a short quilt like a Yeti, but I'm imagining torso pad + Yeti being less comfortable compared to sit pad + Phoenix.
    My goto is my 40F Phoenix/40F Burrow combo, because I primarily camp in Florida where the 20F gear is only needed for about 2 weeks out of the year.

I've used this a set a few times up in NC (South Mountains, Uwharrie) during fall. When it got down into the upper 40s, I found that my legs and feet get cold...and I since I carry a chair, I didn't bring a sit pad. So those nights, I ended up in the fetal position to help keep my legs over the Phoenix. For me, the 40/40 set is good for 50F and above if I don't supplement the footbox. I'm asking too much of the Burrow's footbox when I use the Phoenix near its rated temp.

So, with a 30F top quilt and a 30F underquilt...I would probably use it into the 40s (without the sit pad). I know many on the forum recommend a 10F buffer on their gear vs the expected temps. I'm finding that to be the case, especially if you want to be comfortable.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Helpful thanks!

I might be talking myself into a full length because I'll be bringing a chair the majority of the time (shorter trips), and bringing a sit pad for one purpose seems annoying to me

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Helpful thanks!

I might be talking myself into a full length because I'll be bringing a chair the majority of the time (shorter trips), and bringing a sit pad for one purpose seems annoying to me
    Maybe look at a custom 30F Wooki? $240 for the 850fp...$290 for the 950fp.

If I could start over knowing what I know now, I'd go with the HG Premium 40F/40F Phoenix/Burrow set for 50F+ temps, along with a 30F Incubator to swap in for down to mid 30F trips and wear thermals to sleep.

All my stuff is the HG Econ line, so it's a bit heavier and bulkier than the Premium line. I thought hard about pulling the trigger over the holidays with the discount and go down to just those three quilts, then sell off the stuff I've collected but honestly, it does come in handy as loaner gear. I have enough hammocks, quilts and tarps for me and 2 other people. But, I do think I'm done buying stuff, other than replacing worn out gear.

Unless WB comes out with a DCF Thunderfly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12