Chameleon
    Tarp
    Rei 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk Straps

Three guys just hanging out in Ontario.

After watching Shug's latest post, I thought I would share an outing two friends and I did back on the 22nd/23rd of January. We live in Almonte, just outside of Ottawa, and the birthplace of James Naismith, inventor of basketball. We are all former Scouters and did a fair bit of winter camping and love hammock camping.

We chose a spot in the woods at the edge of a farmer's property. It was only a kilometer hike, but there was over 40cm (16 inches) of fresh snow to break trail through, so the walk was worth it. Temperature-wise, the thermometer read just above -15°C (5°F) the entire day and night which suited me just fine, given that the night before and the night after it got down to -28°C (-18°F)! I just don't know how Shug handles that.

For the gearheads, I went out with a Dutchware Chameleon + GT tree straps, HG 0 degree Econ Burrow UQ + homemade Costco UQ, Chinook -15°C sleeping bag, and an REI tarp. All worked well, although I think it's time to upgrade the tarp. My friend KK had the WB Ridgerunner plus minifly, while TC had (I think) Enlightened Equipment gear.

The high point was dinner. We all brought our own meals. I channeled Corporal's corner and with my cast iron skillet made a fried steak/bacon/potatoes skillet covered in shredded cheddar. I was determined to consume it all (leave no trace right? ), but it was and effort. TC meanwhile baked a loaf of garlic-rosemary bread over the campfire and shared with us as well (BLOAT!). KK meanwhile went the Mountainhouse route.

The sleep itself was comfy enough, EXCEPT HAVING TO GET OUT TO PEE FOUR TIMES! Next time I may just have to bring a pee bottle, but I fear that could go horribly wrong.

Finally my biggest disappointment. I was all set to emulate Shug in the morning. I had my canister stove, pack of hot chocolate and a Smores pop-tart, and the perfect fat log beside the hammock to use as a stand. Every started fine, except I had brought by mistake a partly empty fuel canister, which ran out before the water warmed up. Dreams crushed.

Well, no regrets. Got up and boiled water over the campfire, had hot chocolate, pop tart, and oatmeal with powdered peanut butter added. "Enjoyed" my first winter outdoor constitutional (last night's dinner had it's impact). and spent the morning around the campfire before packing up for home. Same time next year? Definitely.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Lololol "reading a newspaper" at 5F. With all of y'all posting winter reports that really never dawned on me. Yikes.

Sounds like a good time otherwise.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Rei 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk Straps
    Yep! Found a bent over cedar tree that made a suitable throne. Had to break off some twigs first. There was one little twig stump that made things a little ticklish, if you catch my drift. you tend to finish fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Lololol "reading a newspaper" at 5F. With all of y'all posting winter reports that really never dawned on me. Yikes.

Sounds like a good time otherwise.
    I bet even Shug doesn't lol-a-gag at the compost pit with those temps

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I bet even Shug doesn't lol-a-gag at the compost pit with those temps
    Oh....but I do lollygag as I do. Do.
    Best part of the day and strangely warm.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Nothing more heartbreaking than running out of fuel just before tasty-time. Glad you found an alternative!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    A nice, mouthwatering meal indeed. Congrats on your winter outing. Always good with a few pals!

• + New Posts