Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    After reading that line in the newspaper’s xc skiing incident, “… a bad experience is worth more than good advice.” I thought of starting a new thread with that topic line. Because the posts may not necessarily be about hammocks, it might have to go in the (donation) RoundTable sub-forum.

But with respect to hands … one time on Mt. Hood, in my foolish youth, it started misting. It wasn’t “rain” so I didn’t want to stop and pull rain gear out and put it on. As we climbed higher, it began “misting” harder. Finally, after my outer garments were pretty wet, I figure it was time to put on my rain gear. All I had to do was unzip a compartment and pull it out. But when I took my hand out of the mitten to garb the metal zipper (this was long ago), the muscles in my hand wouldn’t work. I could only move the zipper a short distance before I could no longer grab it. I had to put the hand back in the mitten and rewarm it. What would have taken 20 seconds earlier, now took about 15 minutes. When I got home, I added cord pulls on all my zippers so I can pull them with my teeth. I also now have my raingear on the ready if it even hints of moisture.

If you are going to be out in 0°, try doing all your setup/takedown while wearing your winter mittens or gloves. If you bare your hand to the cold, you may not be able to tie your shoes.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-31-2022 at 21:47.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Thank you, everyone, for all your advice. I've done a lot of winter camping/backpacking in temps lower than what I would be experiencing this time around. The only difference is that I've always set up my tent instead of my hammock and have been able to keep myself warm and comfortable. I actually really enjoy the extra challenges of winter camping. I'm ready to ditch the tent altogether. 20 degrees is the lowest I've taken my hammock down to using my 20 degree quilts, travel sock, hat, gloves and down booties. I was ok. I would have been super cozy if I didn't get cool from below. That's my biggest concern.

It looks as though my trip is getting pushed to a different date. I'm in the Northeast. We just got 20 inches of snow last weekend and now they're talking about another storm this week. Temps are now supposed to drop to -4. I'm just going to set up in my yard and see if my system works and make changes if need be.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That’s a wonderful idea. I feel much better knowing this isn’t your first (cold weather) rodeo. Fingers crossed that your UQ stacking will do the job for you. Let us know how ti turns out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    When all else fails: VBs, VBs, VBs. (or perhaps, if it even looks like things will fail, or before things ever had a chance to fail)

And for sure well before things have failed: head warmth, head warmth, head warmth. For many people, more than they ever thought they would need. I am amazed at how often some friends decide to replace a 20F mummy bag with a hood at least as thick as the rest of the draft free bag, and often also a thick neck collar, with a 20F TQ + fleece cap. And then expect to be as warm at 20F as they were in the mummy bag. The brain temp counts big time when it comes to how much warm blood it will allow to be shunted to other parts of the body, like hands and feet. The brain tends to hog warm blood flow. It tends to say "Me first".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    We all decided to stick with our original plans and go camping. I am thrilled to say that, despite temps that got as low as -4, I got a solid 6-7 hours of comfortable sleep. I actually slept later in the morning than I do at home in my own bed. I stacked my 20* and 40* underquilts and used my 0* bag and 20* topquilt. Balaclava, gloves, smartwool base layers, down booties and a couple strategically placed hand warmers. I'm a side sleeper and noticed my left hip was a little cooler than the rest of my body but nothing bad enough to keep me awake. I thought about grabbing my sitpad and putting it under my hip but I was already too comfortable in down heaven to want to grab it. Next time, I'll just automatically add it. More than likely, my outside quilt was not adjusted properly and was slightly compressing the one above it. Thank god for pulk sleds. It was nice not having to play pack tetris. Now that I know I can successfully take my hammock winter camping, I'm ready to head back out.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    hikergirl13,

Great to hear of your success! My first winter hammock trip was in New England, near Mt. Monadnock, which was a great learning experience for sure. Hope you continue to have more winter adventures and look forward to your trip reports.

Best to you!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikergirl13 View Post
    We all decided to stick with our original plans and go camping. I am thrilled to say that, despite temps that got as low as -4, I got a solid 6-7 hours of comfortable sleep. I actually slept later in the morning than I do at home in my own bed. I stacked my 20* and 40* underquilts and used my 0* bag and 20* topquilt. Balaclava, gloves, smartwool base layers, down booties and a couple strategically placed hand warmers. I'm a side sleeper and noticed my left hip was a little cooler than the rest of my body but nothing bad enough to keep me awake. I thought about grabbing my sitpad and putting it under my hip but I was already too comfortable in down heaven to want to grab it. Next time, I'll just automatically add it. More than likely, my outside quilt was not adjusted properly and was slightly compressing the one above it. Thank god for pulk sleds. It was nice not having to play pack tetris. Now that I know I can successfully take my hammock winter camping, I'm ready to head back out.
    There ya' go~~!!!
    Good on you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    And again. Well done!
    Signature suspended

Images
    Great to hear of your success! Yes, a pulk really makes taking enough insulation and other winter gear a reasonable endeavor.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Hikergirl, that's fantastic! Way to go! A pulk is on my short list of winter camping stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12