Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammock camping with kids, dogs and spouses...

Hey'all,

This is my first post here. I have been reading through for over a year now, and really appreciate the wealth of information. I finally decided to put my hand up and ask.

I have been a northern Ontario canoe tripper since I was 5 years old, and spent countless nights in one of those odd uncomfortable contraptions with the poles and the mess of screens and fabric. I started hammock camping last spring. I picked up a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. I liked it so much after the first hang that I bough a Hennessy Expedition for my wife. A couple of weeks later, I bought the Hennessy leaf lounger, basically the explorer without a bug net, and installed it in my bedroom for the nights when my wife is on night shifts.

Needless to say, going back to tent camping just seems horrible. So I was hoping for some advice.

If I am camping alone, it's no problem. If I am camping with my wife, I picked up a set of spreader bars. I have used them once, and they aren't bad at all once you get used to it.
    Things get more complicated when I add in the kids and the dog. My eldest is 7, and I don't think he is quite ready to be in his own hammock away from me. If it was the whole family out together, I'd put kids and dogs in their own tent, but we are expecting our third kid this summer, so my wife won't be spending much time in the woods for a couple of seasons.

So I discovered the Pet Palace from Cave Creek. I was wondering if it might work as a kid/pet palace The 84 inch large version should easily accommodate gear, and a sleeping pad and dog, while I hang in comfort above. I have a large hex tarp that extends right to the ground when required, so it would enclose the screened in area as well as any tent fly. Not having seen the pet palace in person, I really don't know if this is reasonable, functional or safe to do. ??
    My other concern was how the Pet Palace would interface with my Hennessy. Is there any way to attach the tie-outs on the hammock once it's inside? Normally i'd clip them to the tarp, but now the tarp is on the other side of a screen.

I appreciate any thoughts. Up here in Canada it's a fairly expensive investment, so I want to make sure whatever I decide on is something I can use for years, and not just to get through one season.

Thanks,

Jake
    Last edited by jdschwass; 01-25-2022 at 08:32.

• + New Posts