WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far

Zipper mod alternatives?

I've got an old Hennessy Expedition 2.5 bottom entry hammock that I'd love to have converted to top entry. Is there anyone who does a mod like 2QZQ used to?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you have an REI store nearby, often they have contacts with local seampersons they recommend for gear repair. Also, though 2QZQ folded into DutchWare, they may still do all the modifications they used to do before. But think about this, the HH you have was designed for bottom entry. I’m guessing all kinds of stress factors were taken into account. Adding a zipper where there wasn’t one before, may subject that zipper to stresses that wouldn’t be there if the hammock expected to have a zipper from the get-go. On the other hand, 2QZQ was apparently successful with their Add-a-zipper mods. I’m just thinking with the shipping and custom work fees, you could probably buy a new/used zipper opening hammock - giving you a zipper hammock and an HH to share with a friend.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Good points CM. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

I've been in contact in the last week with dutchware, they intend to begin the 2qzq zipper mods by 2qzq in the next few months

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    I'm glad to read that, Tank. I've gotta admit, though, that Cougar has me reconsidering. The truth is I'm totally sold on my WBRR anyway. I just like the idea of a top entry GE (the bottom entry and fixed net of the HH makes me a little claustrophobic).

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    HomesteaderWB, I can appreciate the claustrophobic feeling … but, with the bottom entry, you know there is nothing keeping you from exiting. With a zipper, the zipper can get stuck. With a zipper, you usually have to have the zipper pull within reach and move it in a wide arc - usually means sitting up in the hammock. With a zipper, you have to repeat the process when you get back in. At night, the zipper opening, then re-closing (or even more re-closing and re-opening if want it closed while you are out), will make a sound you’ll swear can be heard for miles. Of course the sound of separating Velcro is not quiet either.

Isn’t the mind interesting. Would I feel more claustrophobic if I were in a closet that had a small hole opening that was always open, or a large opening that required additional action - like opening a door that may be locked.

I sleep in a WB sock at night - gives me privacy from neighbor’s windows and blocks an obnoxious street light (that is no longer required by city code but I can’t get them to turn it off, yet). To get in/out, I have to open that sock zipper in the wide arc I described above. But you know, if I’m tired enough, I just lay down and close my eyes and I’m off to sleep - until about 3 am.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    You do have some interesting insights, Cougar, thanks for sharing them. It is an odd thing. I never had a claustrophobic impulse in my entire life until I got older, and nothing in particular caused it as far as I know.

Do you sleep in a hammock every night? I have so many old injuries from my decades of judo and weightlifting, as well as motorcycle and car wrecks, fights, and hard physical labor that I can't sleep worth a d*&^#. Now that my faithful furry little friend is no longer with me I'm seriously considering going full time to a hammock.

(PS: Apologies if this is too off topic)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, a little “off topic” never bothers me. It adds flavor to the meal. I understand about surprise claustrophobia. I had a hit of it when I put on a full SCUBA weight wetsuit with attached hood. Where did THAT come from

I sleep outside the house about 3 days a week - it mostly depends on weather changes. I’m okay with cold. I tolerate hot. Big sudden changes in weather can knock me for a loop a little. Or … I don’t want to put the hammock on it’s hooks too early because then I have to use more body heat to warm it up. But if I wait too long - it’s dark, I’m tired, so I don’t do it - even though every morning I wake up outside, I’m happy. Maybe, at my age, I’m just happy to wake up

I understand those kinds of injuries. They last a while, don’t they. “If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.” etc.

In my situation, there’s a covered area in front of the house front door and it’s somewhat shielded from the street. So I hang there. It’s not completely “outside” because there is a roof of sorts - not open to the night sky above. Unfortunately, our city fathers let the developers (who moved back to CA with their profits) build houses with only a 4 ft offset from the property lines. So windows of one house look almost inside the neighbor’s house if aligned. In addition, though not required by city code, we have a big freeway style streetlight that shines like the sun at night. The city has a ordinance the prohibits a home owner from having an outside light that shines on a neighbor’s property, but that unneeded, unwanted, streetlight is exempt. Yes, the thoughts of “That’s why God made BeeBee guns” has come to mind. But I’m sure that some year I’ll get them to turn it off.

Anyway - that’s why I use a Sock with the hammock. A Sock - whether designed for a gathered end or Bridge hammock - turns the set up into sort of a suspended single wall tent.

The whole setup tests/builds character because when I have to pee at night, I get up, go back in the house - remember those neighbor’s windows - and then, and then, at 3 am, I get to go back outside. Usually it’s quick enough that the setup is still warm. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. We still have memories.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-16-2022 at 21:53.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteaderWB View Post
    You do have some interesting insights, Cougar, thanks for sharing them. It is an odd thing. I never had a claustrophobic impulse in my entire life until I got older, and nothing in particular caused it as far as I know.

Do you sleep in a hammock every night? I have so many old injuries from my decades of judo and weightlifting, as well as motorcycle and car wrecks, fights, and hard physical labor that I can't sleep worth a d*&^#. Now that my faithful furry little friend is no longer with me I'm seriously considering going full time to a hammock.

(PS: Apologies if this is too off topic)
    Hi HomesteaderWB. I too have many injuries from "colorful times" earlier in my life. I have a been a fulltime hammock sleeper for the last few years now, and it has been a change for the better. I sleep much better than when using a bed, or the ground for that matter.

Sorry about your furry little friend. They are members of our families, and parts of our lives, and it hurts when they are gone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Thanks for your condolences guys. Losing him has hit me harder than I expected, and I expected it to be bad. It's a part of life, I know, but sometimes life just plain sucks.

One of the last pictures I have of him is napping with me in an Arrowhead Kickback. He loved it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast