Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

New Dream Hammock Sparrow...First impressions and questions

My DH Sparrow finally came in. Double layer Overall, I'm very impressed. I have a SLD Trailwinder underquilt and add-on underquilt that gets down to 0 degrees. I have been out for the night with a low of 3 degrees and I was fine

Even though I went a bit wider than Randy suggested (it's 63")... There doesn't seem to be as much room inside as I thought there would be. When I go for the diagonal lay my feet are really jammed into The far side, and I'm not a tall guy at 5 ft 9.

Regarding the under quilt, I'm having a problem where the foot side of the quilt pops off the hammock. There are little clips that attached to the side line of the hammock and I guess when I stretch my feet out they just pop right off. Wondering if anybody has some advice on that one.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Blackdoghang, first, make sure the foot end of your UQ - the gather bungee - is not too tight. There are some YouTube videos around that show when the end is tight, and you push a bit sideways, as in a diagonal lie, with your feet, it can cause a gap. Loosening the end gather allows it to better form-fit what is happening down there. But you still want lift from the long suspension bungee. And you can help them by attaching a short line - bungee cord would work here too - to a clip by the foot end, bring it over your ridgeline, and clip the the other side. There are cheap mini/mico plastic Nite-eze carabiners what might work, or a mitten clip, or even just tie the line on. That extra support line over the ridgeline will help with a snug fit.

I mostly use an underquilt protector (UQP) because I am often swapping out different hammocks and underquilts. So I don’t have one set “dialed-in”. The UQP blocks wind aiming at the end of the UQ so I don’t have to be as critical with the fit. Because I set up alone, I can’t see the fit while I am in the hammock - but I can sure feel it, later at night, if I get it wrong.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, make sure the foot end of your hammock is significantly higher than head end, maybe 6-8 inches higher, in order to prevent sliding toward the foot end. Big difference.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I actually lengthened the RL using a whoopie style RL in my Sparrow (and in most hammocks). That also means my diagonal is more along the axis and less tangential. I use it every day for a movie/video watching couch and many nights. The current UQ is an XL Cedar Ridge Outdoors cottage vendor that I picked up of the FS forum (really am happy with it). Tweaking the RL may not be your thang, but that is my experiences and SOP nowadays. Being longer means that the bugnet does not fit, but I since it is a whoopie I can crank it to OEM specs and use it with the bugnet. However, in practice I have too many other hammocks that are my goto camping hammocks, e.g. Hammocktent Gamma UL and Cloud Chameleon.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Well I'm getting the hang of it. Hehe....��
    Underquilt fitting well. I do "tie it" up.at the gathered ends.

I really like the hammock. The zippers can be a little frustrating.
    They don't always effortlessly zip closed. I just got my son a Hennessy Expedition and those zippers are amazingly rugged!

• + New Posts