Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    10
    I really appreciate the feedback.
    Having a bug net is pretty critical for the dog because the insects would otherwise carry him off. The weight savings of the pup tent is nice, because the dog can carry his own stuff. I also enjoy waking up in a hammock and looking out at the lake, or sunrise, or both. Hiding behind the mesh of my hammock inside the mesh of a pet palace seems kinda silly.

    I also saw the Alcott Pup tent, which would be a great cheap option if I could find one in Canada. Purchasing through their web site and shipping cross boarder made them almost as expensive as the pup tent.
    Sounds like I should do some dog booty shopping too!

    Cheer.

  2. #12
    Senior Member jeff-oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US- Ohio
    Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Posts
    1,005
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdschwass View Post
    I have been a northern Ontario canoe tripper since I was 5 years old, My eldest is 7, and I don't think he is quite ready to be in his own hammock away from me.
    Jake,

    Welcome and glad you posted. I too have been a Northern, Ontario canoe tripper. Cannot wait to get back up there. Where do you go? I am very familiar with the area N. of Wawa: Missanabie/Skully/Dog/Wabtong/Oba/KB and many of the smaller bush lakes. Also there is an active tripping group here that post trips in the Outings area.

    FWIW, I had my daughter hanging at 7. At first she just needed to be near, I would share a common tree going to two other trees. Quickly she moved to her own trees, now she does not want to be anywhere near a snoring Chewbacca at night.

    Keep getting those kinds out, you are a great dad and they will remember it always, even if they complain about forcing them on trips when they are teens.

  3. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Jake,

    Welcome and glad you posted. I too have been a Northern, Ontario canoe tripper. Cannot wait to get back up there. Where do you go? I am very familiar with the area N. of Wawa: Missanabie/Skully/Dog/Wabtong/Oba/KB and many of the smaller bush lakes. Also there is an active tripping group here that post trips in the Outings area.

    FWIW, I had my daughter hanging at 7. At first she just needed to be near, I would share a common tree going to two other trees. Quickly she moved to her own trees, now she does not want to be anywhere near a snoring Chewbacca at night.

    Keep getting those kinds out, you are a great dad and they will remember it always, even if they complain about forcing them on trips when they are teens.
    Hey- I started off tripping around Killarney, Temagami, etc... things started to get more populated over the last 20 years, so I have been tripping a lot through the Elliot Lake region, up as far as Northern Lights Lake (North of Thunder Bay) and in the greater Timmins area. That hardest part is finding places to go that don't involve river travel that would put the kids at risk.

    Unfortunately for my kids, they also get to hang near Chewbacca. My dad always told us as kids that it kept the bears away... kept us from complaining so much!

    It's -19 C here this morning... that's -2 F I think... so waiting for things to warm up a bit before I get out camping here on the farm. I haven't yet invested in any gear for less than 20F.
    25 acres of my farm is bush, so lots of great places to test out gear and kids once the weather is more humane.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Muskogee, OK
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Posts
    92
    I started to write a whole story, but it started becoming a book, so I'm setting it aside for now (perhaps a future thread!). I have 4 kids, currently ages 11-19, and they all absolutely love hammock camping, and have from the first time they slept in one. So much that my 2 daughters have both slept in hammocks full time for about 2 years. The only one who has an issue with it is my wife, who just doesn't sleep well outside no matter what.

    My advice is to just get them out, and start slowly investing as you can. It's expensive for sure, but you're probably car camping for now, and cheap Amazon hammocks will work for young ones to get started. Kids also tend to sleep warm, so insulating them is a little easier. Start with inexpensive stuff that will work, and slowly upgrade as funds are available. Look for the deals on synthetic sleeping bags, and cheap synthetic foam pads work fine when they're small. Your kids will grow into better gear, as you know what they actually need. Try to find areas where everyone can be fairly close for their comfort. If you can enclose them in a tarp, they tend to feel safer than if they're in the open. I usually set up the hammock for the youngest right above my own, which does have hazards, but they do feel a little better, and mama does too!

    As far as the Pet Palace, I have no experience with it. I've taken a number of dogs; most of the time I bring a tie-out for them and position it so they can pick where they want to sleep, usually right under my hammock. The dog we have now does not have much of a wanderlust, and when we're out in the woods, he wants to stay close to protect us, so I just let him free, and he wanders to everybody's hammock and spends some time under each one! Personally, I don't see much use for a tent just for the dog; I'd just tie him to a tree that allows him to roam between the kids' hammocks!

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Humneso View Post
    I started to write a whole story, but it started becoming a book, so I'm setting it aside for now (perhaps a future thread!). I have 4 kids, currently ages 11-19, and they all absolutely love hammock camping, and have from the first time they slept in one. So much that my 2 daughters have both slept in hammocks full time for about 2 years. The only one who has an issue with it is my wife, who just doesn't sleep well outside no matter what.
    Thanks for sharing. At this point I am pretty heavily invested in gear, both for hammock camping and tents. The nice thing is that I can give my kids some pretty nice tenting stuff to use, because I have no interest in sleeping on the ground anymore!
    But we are not car camping at all. We are in remote wilderness locations portaging multiple lakes per day. The shortest trip I have had my son on was 7 days, but typically we are outside of all communication for 8 to 10 days. Only this year I decided to invest in sat communication; 2 years ago I had to carry a friend 3 miles out of the woods with a broken leg. At that point we were lucky we were close to an access road to get her to an ambulance.

    I guess location is everything when it comes to dogs. I can't imagine leaving my dog out without protection from insects. The clouds of blackflies and/ore mosquitos outside of my hammock screen is enough to drive a man mad... but being out there without the screen, I can't imagine!

    I am going to get the kid in my wife's hammock in the next couple of weeks, thinking about setting up in the basement. I think he will catch on pretty quick. If I go with a pup tent, then I can just rig the hammocks up with spreader bars... no need to be far from each other, and dog is protected. It seems like the best plan so far.

    Thanks again.
    My advice is to just get them out, and start slowly investing as you can. It's expensive for sure, but you're probably car camping for now, and cheap Amazon hammocks will work for young ones to get started. Kids also tend to sleep warm, so insulating them is a little easier. Start with inexpensive stuff that will work, and slowly upgrade as funds are available. Look for the deals on synthetic sleeping bags, and cheap synthetic foam pads work fine when they're small. Your kids will grow into better gear, as you know what they actually need. Try to find areas where everyone can be fairly close for their comfort. If you can enclose them in a tarp, they tend to feel safer than if they're in the open. I usually set up the hammock for the youngest right above my own, which does have hazards, but they do feel a little better, and mama does too!

    As far as the Pet Palace, I have no experience with it. I've taken a number of dogs; most of the time I bring a tie-out for them and position it so they can pick where they want to sleep, usually right under my hammock. The dog we have now does not have much of a wanderlust, and when we're out in the woods, he wants to stay close to protect us, so I just let him free, and he wanders to everybody's hammock and spends some time under each one! Personally, I don't see much use for a tent just for the dog; I'd just tie him to a tree that allows him to roam between the kids' hammocks!

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Muskogee, OK
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Posts
    92
    Gotcha! I guess I know in some part of my mind that the bugs are absolutely horrendous up there, but it's been a while since I've been there, so it's easy to forget.
    And in that kind of wilderness situation, yes, weight does matter, so it's just back to expensive...
    That's pretty impressive to have your kids out in that environment! I have one that thrives in that kind of thing, and another that's getting there. But my oldest and youngest just don't enjoy it nearly as much - a 12-15 mile loop over a weekend is about all they'll do with me! They still love car camping, but I don't like all those people...

  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    10
    I agree. As I mentioned previously, my goal is to not see another person. Though I do enjoy car camping during road trips, which has a different purpose, therefore people are alright.
    When my boy was 3, he liked some parts of it, but also didn't appreciate the little things. Being almost 7, he is catching 7 lb lake trout, collecting firewood, and carrying his own gear. He gets it, and can be a big help.
    My daughter is more of a princess, but she is only turning 4 in April. This year would be her first trip, but I am considering pushing it off until next year so that my wife can be there with us. By our August trip, kid #3 will only be 2 weeks old. I say start'em young, but that's pushing it.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by jdschwass View Post
    I really appreciate the feedback.
    Having a bug net is pretty critical for the dog because the insects would otherwise carry him off. The weight savings of the pup tent is nice, because the dog can carry his own stuff. I also enjoy waking up in a hammock and looking out at the lake, or sunrise, or both. Hiding behind the mesh of my hammock inside the mesh of a pet palace seems kinda silly.

    I also saw the Alcott Pup tent, which would be a great cheap option if I could find one in Canada. Purchasing through their web site and shipping cross boarder made them almost as expensive as the pup tent.
    Sounds like I should do some dog booty shopping too!

    Cheer.
    A sewing machine can be had very reasonably used, and with some practice, you can make some gear that will surprise you.
    Sewing is like driving. There are those who drive at an elite level, but most of us do a perfectly capable job driving ourselves where we need to go. Same with sewing. There are those who can make incredible creations, but most of us, with practice can sew well enough to make perfectly serviceable gear with some practice.

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    A sewing machine can be had very reasonably used, and with some practice, you can make some gear that will surprise you.
    Sewing is like driving. There are those who drive at an elite level, but most of us do a perfectly capable job driving ourselves where we need to go. Same with sewing. There are those who can make incredible creations, but most of us, with practice can sew well enough to make perfectly serviceable gear with some practice.
    Actually funny you should mention that... I do have an old sewing machine that I have dabbled with. But I was talking to my dad about it today, and he says to me "we have all our old tents saved up in the basement, why don't you just chop those up and sew them together into something" I may just have to try it. Worst case is I waste several hours trying to figure out how to spool a bobbin and give up Thanks!

  10. #20
    Member Eclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Posts
    86
    Beware of the sewing machine! It will cause a complete dissatisfaction with all off-the-rack items. You will want only bespoke items: clothing, packs, hammocks, etc. - all customized to meet your specific needs. Pockets here. Stuff sacks there. Hammock chairs, water bottle carriers, sling bags. You will be shopping remnants on Dutchs site before you know it, and your project list will grow by leaps and bounds. Haha!

  • + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Hammock camping with dogs - What do you do?
      By Prime in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-18-2014, 11:01
    2. Hammock Camping with kids
      By Aztom in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-17-2013, 10:08
    3. kids and hammock camping
      By draugen in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 05-30-2012, 08:34
    4. Hammock camping with 2 kids
      By copperhead in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 10-03-2010, 10:14

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •