Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Help! I need feedback and input on my capstone project!

Hi! I'm Jon, a senior Industrial Design student and for my senior capstone, I want to redesign the hammock to make it smaller to carry or as a piece of apparel that unfolds into a hammock. I just want to get some thoughts and feedback. This survey will take around 3-5 min. Thank you so much for your time!!

https://forms.gle/FVaG6gjtbxYUR6VUA

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    Being an engineer by trade myself, I need to ask
    1) what is your metric for smaller? It will be hard to beat the designs like Dutch's cloud fabric.
    2) are only looking at the hammock or full system with insulation and weather protection? Again, see point 1 about what is the target metric.

You'll need to look at the innovative designs already on the market and argue what improvements your design would address.

While you await responses to your survey, I think you will find answers to most of your questions throughout the history of posts on this forum.

Best of luck with your project.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my opinion, the bulk of the hammock is not really a problem. You can make a hammock with a tiny packing volume if you make it short, narrow and from the lightest fabric that still holds your weight. But making it comfortable as well is going to be a challenge. Also, there are quite a few designs that are going to be difficult to beat, e.g. this one.

If I wanted to focus on decreasing packing volume, I would look into new designs for hammock insulation. Or possibly a hammock with integrated insulation.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcavallaro View Post
    Hi! I'm Jon, a senior Industrial Design student and for my senior capstone, I want to redesign the hammock to make it smaller to carry or as a piece of apparel that unfolds into a hammock. I just want to get some thoughts and feedback. This survey will take around 3-5 min. Thank you so much for your time!!

https://forms.gle/FVaG6gjtbxYUR6VUA
    First, I completed your survey.

However, I don't know if you're aware but there are already hammocks available (Dutchware Cloud .71) that weigh under 6oz (155 grams) including structural ridgeline and continuous loops, which combined with a pair of UHMWPE straps can have you 'airborne' for a weight penalty of less than 8oz total, and the whole kaboodle smooshes down to about the size of a softball.

I suspect this is going to be rather difficult to improve upon, so perhaps it would be best to focus on the apparel aspect or integrating it into a backpack or hydration pack?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I did the survey. Looking forward to hearing more about the results and direction you go with this. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Images
    Having just spent 6-years towards a BA in English from University of Texas San Antonio, we also encountered these surveys.

Surveys are part and parcel of the assignments that require responses from interested parties (in the OP's case, hammock users) as proof of concept to support the design parameters in the proposal package which must be developed for presentation to the phantom company.

For the tech writing portion, the assignment usually entails a 60-75 page proposal package for improvement of an existing hammock design.

@cmoulder - your suggestions will assist the student engineer in modifying his survey in order to provide the proof of concept for the assignment.

As my interest are primarily industrial strength (think Military Aluminum Mast Sections - 40 pounds in weight), rather than ultralight, I have no real life experiences in the ultralight world.

Any insights for jcavallaro would include lightest weight hammock and tarp and packable suspension, with titanium stakes of the diminutive form factor in order to push his proposal over the top.

Any and all comments will help out, and in that spirit I will link to a dyneema hammock experiment on Backpacking Light. A heavier hybrid dyneema is now available which could be used.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/32956/

One possible option: Not very compact
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...ct9hk-18-wov-6
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 01-26-2022 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by jcavallaro View Post
    Completed your survey. Good luck with the project. For further research, I'd suggest browsing the DIY section of Hammock Forums where many talented folks have documented their own projects, often with photos and/or drawings of same.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    I don't find it onerous to carry a hammock currently, the only area where I seem to lose space in my pack is for my insulation layers, which are bulky, bulky hippos.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Something to keep you warm at 0*f and packs the size of a softball would make you richer than elon musk. My ample derriere is not suited for ultralight fabrics and tiny profile hammocks, but would love staying warm with the least amount of bulk possible.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I filled out the survey
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast