Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps

Suspension decision on a bag to underquilt.

I picked up a bag (actually very nice, over 3" of loft opened up) and U am ready to add suspension. The foot end of the bag is 42" wide, and the head end is 54 inches wide, and the length is 72 inches.
    Having no experience at this, would I be better off using a clew suspension, or the four corners and cinch cords? I kind of want to leave the zipper in, and use it for double duty.
    Any help with this would be great. I have supplies available to do both, I am looking for direction to get the best fit.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Personally I would sew channels on alongside the zippers and on the short side to do a four corner, cinch cord.

I've never used the clew design, although it looks nice.
    I just think channels with shock cord removed would be less in the way when you're still using it as a bag.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    TBH it's nice to know the bag dimensions, but it is pretty difficult to discuss suspension without also knowing the bag weight and the type of hammock you are using it with.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    TBH it's nice to know the bag dimensions, but it is pretty difficult to discuss suspension without also knowing the bag weight and the type of hammock you are using it with.
    Bag weight would be 4 pounds 6 ounces (2kg), and it is going on a 10 foot gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I spend the day thinking about this for you.
    I just can't get over the thought that having to sew buttons on to the neck end of your bag for you to use the clew system will just be very inconvenient when you want to use it as a bag.

I'm assuming you have a square or mummy bag that will completely unzip.

On all of my sleeping bags there's more than enough space on the rolled scene to sew in a channel without having to puncture the part of the bag that holds the insulation.
    Well on my mummy bag part of the clew attachments would be over my head. when I lay down they would be tucked up under my chin on the other end of the short side for the head. That would just bother me a lot, I am wasy to bother. I use in El Dorado rather than xlc because I don't like things in or near my hammock when I'm sleeping.

The other option I can think of would be to use the removable buttons that I use for suspenders on dress pants that don't have buttons in the waistband.
    This would give you temporary removable attachments. Allow you to use the clues system, but still remove all the buttons when you want to use it as a sleeping bag.

Using those would punch holes in your bag, you would be able to use the rolled seem outside the insulation.
    If you've had trouble with getting your underquilt properly set before this might be the way to go.
    I've read all the threads here on the clew system because just seems like a good easy way to get everything up without those saggy bits needing to be cinched together.

I just can't get over the thought of there being buttons rubbing under my chin when I use it as a bag. Or the pain in the butt adding and removing suspender buttons whenever you want to switch.

A trick I use to be able to remove and insert shock cord repeatedly. Is to thread a loop of fishing line through the channel and around the outside. Whenever you want to run shock cord through you just twist a couple loops of the fishing line around it then pull the fishing line in its circle. It threads the shock cord through. Being tied in the loop that never comes out. And as long as you only have about a half an inch to an inch extra line you will never notice it.

There you go brother, there's my thoughts on the subject and worth exactly what you paid.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    The reason I feel weights and hammock type are important, is that this bag will be slung under the hammock and gravity will want to pull it down and sag in the middle ... this would be worse with a bridge hammock, which we don't have here. Sagging in that middle area leaves room for cold to get in and chill that whole butt area if it isn't supported properly.

Regardless of which suspension you choose, it's important to realize you need to beef it up considerably from what you will read about quilt suspensions. You have a 4+ pound bag and most quilts of that loft run around ~1.5 pounds, using 850 down. So the suspension cords will need to be beefed up a bit to carry that load and give the capacity to snug it up properly, consider going up just 1 size to get a bit more pull.

The traditional suspension will require channels on all four sides, each fitted with shock cord of a suitable size, likely 1/8" in this case. You will need to get enough tension in the side suspension to lift the bag sufficient to keep it snug against you when you get in the bag with no gaps.

The Clew suspension is my favourite and there are quite a few flavours posted on this site ... I prefer light and simple so I just add a strip of 1/2" grosgrain with a few 1/4" loops sewn on like this

IMG_3022.jpg

Make up the clew with small shock cord using 1/2" split rings (cheap and light)

IMG_3028.jpg

Finally sew that strip on the end of the quilt and attach via those slit rings

IMG_3104.jpg

An alternate to the corded clew that may be better suited for you is a spandex version of the Clew, posted here

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...or-Underquilts

Hopefully some food for thought

Brian

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    The reason I feel weights and hammock type are important, is that this bag will be slung under the hammock and gravity will want to pull it down and sag in the middle ... this would be worse with a bridge hammock, which we don't have here. Sagging in that middle area leaves room for cold to get in and chill that whole butt area if it isn't supported properly.

Regardless of which suspension you choose, it's important to realize you need to beef it up considerably from what you will read about quilt suspensions. You have a 4+ pound bag and most quilts of that loft run around ~1.5 pounds, using 850 down. So the suspension cords will need to be beefed up a bit to carry that load and give the capacity to snug it up properly, consider going up just 1 size to get a bit more pull.

The traditional suspension will require channels on all four sides, each fitted with shock cord of a suitable size, likely 1/8" in this case. You will need to get enough tension in the side suspension to lift the bag sufficient to keep it snug against you when you get in the bag with no gaps.

The Clew suspension is my favourite and there are quite a few flavours posted on this site ... I prefer light and simple so I just add a strip of 1/2" grosgrain with a few 1/4" loops sewn on like this

IMG_3022.jpg

Make up the clew with small shock cord using 1/2" split rings (cheap and light)

IMG_3028.jpg

Finally sew that strip on the end of the quilt and attach via those slit rings

IMG_3104.jpg

An alternate to the corded clew that may be better suited for you is a spandex version of the Clew, posted here

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...or-Underquilts

Hopefully some food for thought

Brian
    Thanks for showing that loop design.
    I missed seeing that in my searches.

That solves the trouble of hard buttons.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Bag weight would be 4 pounds 6 ounces (2kg), and it is going on a 10 foot gathered end hammock.
    That is pretty dang heavy for a UQ. It will want to sag and accordion for sure.
    You will need a beefy suspension for sure. Lines over your hammock ridgeline would help. The UQ needs to be right up against you from beneath to be effective.
    Might be better to try and make a pod if it is big enough.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    I have been thinking about this today, and first, thanks to everyone who responded. I will probably end up making this a dedicated underquilt. I have more bags, what I don't have is underquilts. It is pretty old, but still has great loft, though the materials are very heavy compared to today.
    I have a 30* synthetic kit from RBTR that I am going to put together as well.
    That will give us two underquilts we can use in the summer, and should keep the wife nice and warm. I can stack them, and be able to get out hopefully down to zero with them when she has no interest in camping.
    It's a test mule, and the down may end up in a shell that doesn't weigh two pounds.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That is pretty dang heavy for a UQ. It will want to sag and accordion for sure.
    You will need a beefy suspension for sure. Lines over your hammock ridgeline would help. The UQ needs to be right up against you from beneath to be effective.
    Might be better to try and make a pod if it is big enough.
    Shug

Thanks for the video Shug. Yes, it is heavy and I may just sew inside the zipper, and cut it out. Seam ripping 8 feet of zipper and exposing that much down does not sound like a good time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast