Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Yes, it is heavy and I may just sew inside the zipper, and cut it out. Seam ripping 8 feet of zipper and exposing that much down does not sound like a good time.
    The reward for putting in that effort can be well worth it when you start with something that heavy, because the result is so much better. Putting the down into a light weight shell will give you a quilt that's much easier to fit to your hammock. I suggest making the synthetic kit from RBTR first, perhaps with a clew suspension, then evaluate that design, and use the down to create your own masterpiece.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Thanks everyone! I removed a down filled draft collar, and I think the plan is going to be to get the zipper out, reduce the head end to 48", and taper that to the 42" foot. I am going to try the clews suspension, using the grosgrain. Not sure if I will use the kam snaps, or split rings.
    Dumping the zipper, and a couple chunks of inner and outer fabric should slim it down some. The bag has two pounds of fill.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    OK, in reading the long clews thread, I see that there are two formulas. One is from Jellyfish, and it is basically quilt+suspension length is equal to 85% of your hammock length.
    leiavoia has a different formula: (HL-QL)x.425
    My hammock is 10', and the UQ is going to be right at 72" when finished.
    The jellyfish method gives me 15" for each clew.
    The leiavoia method gives me 20.4" for each one.
    That is a pretty big difference. Does anyone use either of these calculations?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    If you are doing a clew setup, you have to first select which shock material you are going to use. Those formulas get you in the ballpark, as long as you don't go too long, you can just attach a piece of cord to the end and adjust the length to customize it to your setup.

I went a bit further, took the number of cords I was going to use and measured the actual pull they had for each inch I stretched them. Then I took the weight of the quilt and calculated how many inches of stretch I needed to give me that much pull, I put that on each clew set giving me double the weight of the quilt in horizontal stretch (1 equivalent weight per set), when attached to the hammock attachment point. If you need a little less, just add a cord to release a little.

In your case with almost double the weight, plan accordingly ... being a bit shorter is better than be too long IMO, you can always add a length of cord to reduce the pull.

Brian

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I know it's been pointed out but, heavy heavy. Most common problem with the bag to quilt conversions IMO. Not sure Clew is the answer here due to that alone. I'm with Shug. Even with primary and secondary suspension, I think you'll need to support the sides from the SRL on this project.

Keep us posted with the results.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    After playing around with this, I think I am going to try and sew up an underquilt using catsplats calculator. I will just use the down from the bag, and see how it goes.
    I was going to shoot for the Feb hang up north, but I will take my time, and search the site for examples of DIY uq. I'm going to make a synthetic uq from a RBTR kit to get some practice in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12