Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images

Sewing doors on to a tarp..

I've been contemplating putting doors on to a tarp I have. In executing this I've wondered how best without making it into a major project but still well done. Should you just hem the doors beforehand and sew them to the tarp or take the stitching out of the tarp before sewing it to the door's material then hem them both together? Open to suggestions. Easiest would be to just order a tarp with doors but the need for things me to do to chill and also practice my sewing for bigger more ambitious sewing projects I'm thinking about. Plus, I have the material on hand. I've had a bit of practice making things like fixing the tarp I currently use (new side replaced after being torn), multiple bags/storage sacks, bridge hammock and a custom sunshade to mount over a customer's deck (see honey the sewing machine isn't just saving money on gear it's paying for itself).

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I added my doors what worked was making patterns out of stiff paper first. Then I just sewed them into existing seam after cutting and hemming.
    They have morphed over time. I added velcro at one point.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Instead of sewing on doors, you could try your hand at making some Grizz Beaks. They are basically doors that aren't permanently attached. Gives you the flexibility to leave them at home when you don't need or want them and still use your tarp in its original fashion.

There are plenty of threads that discuss Grizz Beaks, but I recommend that you try this thread first:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=Grizz+Beaks

It has quite a bit of information and includes links to other threads as well as instructions on how to build them.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Thanks Shug. Awesome, just what I needed to hear. Does the Velcro really hold together with a stiff wind? I was thinking of using snaps but mainly because I'd get to buy a new tool. I already have Velcro on hand from other projects.
    Popcornfool, those sound fine but I was looking for a permanent set of doors since my go to tarp is without doors and this is an extra tarp I had to get after the go to tarp was ripped and no time or the fabric to fix it. It'll be used mainly in winter when snow is being called for. My hands don't do well in the cold so the less fussing around mittemless is a Priority. Since starting to winter camp I've managed to already get Frostbite breaking down camp and that was being careful with wearing the gloves. Eventually I'll make something similar to the Thunderfly or just buy one.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Popcornfool your idea does have me thinking about a future Thunderfly type tarp which I would use in milder weather.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbe View Post
    Thanks Shug. Awesome, just what I needed to hear. Does the Velcro really hold together with a stiff wind? I was thinking of using snaps but mainly because I'd get to buy a new tool. I already have Velcro on hand from other projects.
    Popcornfool, those sound fine but I was looking for a permanent set of doors since my go to tarp is without doors and this is an extra tarp I had to get after the go to tarp was ripped and no time or the fabric to fix it. It'll be used mainly in winter when snow is being called for. My hands don't do well in the cold so the less fussing around mittemless is a Priority. Since starting to winter camp I've managed to already get Frostbite breaking down camp and that was being careful with wearing the gloves. Eventually I'll make something similar to the Thunderfly or just buy one.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Popcornfool your idea does have me thinking about a future Thunderfly type tarp which I would use in milder weather.
    I've never had the wind blow it apart. Takes a bit up practice to seal it up after getting back inside of the tarp. That is why I added the grosgrain fabric loops.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    the grizzbeak option is great.

I have one for my ultralight hex tarp. Easy to set up as long as you have the extra stakes in your kit.

Other option is to start from scratch and create a tarp with doors. Attached is plan for a winter tarp using the ripstop 1.1 silpoly XL

Green Giant Tarp Plans.jpg
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter_Ken View Post
    the grizzbeak option is great.

I have one for my ultralight hex tarp. Easy to set up as long as you have the extra stakes in your kit.

Other option is to start from scratch and create a tarp with doors. Attached is plan for a winter tarp using the ripstop 1.1 silpoly XL

Green Giant Tarp Plans.jpg
    Thats awesome Scouter_Ken Thanks for showing it. I had planned on making a tarp if I can get enough remanent pieces of material from RSBTR or Dutch. A winter tarp and a Mountainfly styled tarp is what I'd also like not only for wind and snow protection but also privacy. I'm still thinking about the Grizbeak option in order to have more options with the tarp I normally use.

• + New Posts