WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MacIntosh is an ambitious destination but doable in one day if you set out early enough. I've done it but many years ago. Love your trip reports to Tom Thompson, I've been on that lake many times, again that was a few year back.

Dale

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    MacIntosh is an ambitious destination but doable in one day if you set out early enough. I've done it but many years ago. Love your trip reports to Tom Thompson, I've been on that lake many times, again that was a few year back.

Dale
    Hi Dale, does that mean you're thinking of tagging along? Sounds like you're ready for a return visit to McIntosh. Besides, I consider anyone who's camped on that beautiful lake as a long lost relation and it'd be nice to meet you.

I've done McIntosh more times than I can remember, sometime trips easier than others, but it's just about perfectly positioned for a good day's paddle in my opinion.

When I was younger, considerably stronger and a fair bit more reckless, my buddies and I would think nothing of heading out from Toronto at midday on a Friday afternoon and paddle our three-man canoe for a few solid hours only to pull up on McIntosh with the glow of the sunset hanging over the horizon. Should be a good five hour trip for a typical motivated paddler.

Good times.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hi Dale, does that mean you're thinking of tagging along? Sounds like you're ready for a return visit to McIntosh. Besides, I consider anyone who's camped on that beautiful lake as a long lost relation and it'd be nice to meet you.

I've done McIntosh more times than I can remember, sometime trips easier than others, but it's just about perfectly positioned for a good day's paddle in my opinion.

When I was younger, considerably stronger and a fair bit more reckless, my buddies and I would think nothing of heading out from Toronto at midday on a Friday afternoon and paddle our three-man canoe for a few solid hours only to pull up on McIntosh with the glow of the sunset hanging over the horizon. Should be a good five hour trip for a typical motivated paddler.

Good times.
    I've been known to be persuaded quite easily in the past. Before the whole Virus thing struck, I hung out with a bunch of internet scoundrels that would car camp on the Grand on the May 24 and Whitefish campground in APP on the first weekend of October. We would do day trips but none of them were what I would consider canoe tripping. I have a feeling I could convince my wife to join in on this if she can get the time off of school. She uses an HH Exp Asym.

Dale

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've been known to be persuaded quite easily in the past. Before the whole Virus thing struck, I hung out with a bunch of internet scoundrels that would car camp on the Grand on the May 24 and Whitefish campground in APP on the first weekend of October. We would do day trips but none of them were what I would consider canoe tripping. I have a feeling I could convince my wife to join in on this if she can get the time off of school. She uses an HH Exp Asym.

Dale
    Excellent!

It's a given that a "scattering" will be different from out normal 9 person per site group trips, but I'm sure that there'll be plenty of time for visiting.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm in! not a LTV. (Lake Trout Virgin)

Permit acquired
    Last edited by LuvmyBonnet; 02-09-2022 at 17:47.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Images
    Is the plan to stay on MacIntosh the entire trip?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet View Post
    Is the plan to stay on MacIntosh the entire trip?
    Hi Quiet!

For the most part I was thinking of base-camping out of McIntosh and doing day trips to the surrounding lakes as the mood takes us. Granted six nights on one lake might get weary, but as you know, we're always open to options. There's been talk of perhaps starting the trip with a loop through Burnt Island (or even Big Trout) to cover some new ground.

Personally, I'd just like to sit on the front porch of Chicamoula and enjoy a glorious sunset with some friends again.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, the wife has green-lit this trip for me if I want to go, she won't be able to go so I will probably look at renting a Swift solo canoe. Just wondering what sites people are shooting for? I'm thinking I would shoot for May 16th to 19th as that would suit my job best. Do I register myself for 3 nights interior on MacIntosh? It's been a few years since I have done an interior trip to APP, so some guidance would be appreciated.

Dale

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Well, the wife has green-lit this trip for me if I want to go, she won't be able to go so I will probably look at renting a Swift solo canoe. Just wondering what sites people are shooting for? I'm thinking I would shoot for May 16th to 19th as that would suit my job best. Do I register myself for 3 nights interior on MacIntosh? It's been a few years since I have done an interior trip to APP, so some guidance would be appreciated.

Dale
    Hi Dale, great news.

Just register on MacIntosh and we can work out the "whos & wheres" when we get up there. We did a similar trip on Rosebary and there were groups of three or four dotted around the lake with people moving around a bit.

---

Just as an aside, I think I'll be giving myself a Covid-19 rapid antigen test (the "scratch the brain with a q-tip up the nose" one) the night before I head up. Not necessary, but probably appreciated. We're not out of the woods just yet imho.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hi Dale, great news.

Just register on MacIntosh and we can work out the "whos & wheres" when we get up there. We did a similar trip on Rosebary and there were groups of three or four dotted around the lake with people moving around a bit.

---

Just as an aside, I think I'll be giving myself a Covid-19 rapid antigen test (the "scratch the brain with a q-tip up the nose" one) the night before I head up. Not necessary, but probably appreciated. We're not out of the woods just yet imho.
    I hear you on the Covid Test, sounds like a good idea. I think I might just make that May 15th to 19th.

Edited to add, I have my reservation booked May 15th for 4 nights. Can't wait to hang out with you all!!!

Dale
    Last edited by Dale; 02-22-2022 at 16:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast