Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Fill weight

I've been comparing underquilts fill rating per oz to different vendors. I'm looking for feedback to see if individual customers can report any noticeable differences between perceived warmth ratings from different underquilt manufacturers. I'd want to guess that the vendors who use more oz fill weight would typically feel warmer when compared to others, but then again, I've never seen any consistent complaints about any vendor when it comes to warmth and comfortability. I'm only comparing fill weight here, not total finished weights. Here goes ---

Warbonnet Wooki XL with 950 fill power = 8.52oz fill weight
    Warbonnet Wooki XL with 850 fill power = 9.84oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear premium incubator with 850 fill power = 12.11oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear premium incubator with 950 fill power = 11.02oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear economy incubator with 800 fill power = 13.2oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 800 fill power = 14.42oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 850 fill power = 13.64oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 950 fill power = 12.34oz fill weight

All info came from the technical spec sheets from the vendors' websites.
    They're all roughly similar at about 76 or 77 inches long and about 44 inches wide.
    The warbonnet wooki XL seems to be the lightest weight underquilt when comparing all 20 degree quilts.

What say ye? Which UQ is the warmest?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Wooki is lay-specific and overall has less material, volume and coverage, so not exactly an apples-apples comparison.

From personal experience, I have a 20deg Incubator (premium) and it keeps me warm at its rated temp and a bit lower... I've had it down to 18°F with no problems. I've only seen a Zeppelin and boy-oh-boy it is poooo-fayyy!

I have a UGQ Bandit 40deg and it is very well made, as are the HG quilts in my gear quiver. I have no Warbonnet stuff but I've never read a bad word about their construction.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I realize that there is subjectivity involved, but it would seem to me that if they are all 20* quilts, they should all feel equally warm. Am I missing something?

I only have one full length 20* UQ (a HG Premium Incubator 850 fill with 1oz overfill) and I've taken it down to it's rating. I also have a partial 20* UQ (a Warbonnet Yeti 850 fill with no overfill) which I've also taken down to it's rating. They are two very different UQs with very different purposes, very different fill weights, very different loft, and very different feel/comfort, but both are equally warm to me.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I've been comparing underquilts fill rating per oz to different vendors. I'm looking for feedback to see if individual customers can report any noticeable differences between perceived warmth ratings from different underquilt manufacturers. I'd want to guess that the vendors who use more oz fill weight would typically feel warmer when compared to others, but then again, I've never seen any consistent complaints about any vendor when it comes to warmth and comfortability. I'm only comparing fill weight here, not total finished weights. Here goes ---

Warbonnet Wooki XL with 950 fill power = 8.52oz fill weight
    Warbonnet Wooki XL with 850 fill power = 9.84oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear premium incubator with 850 fill power = 12.11oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear premium incubator with 950 fill power = 11.02oz fill weight
    Hammock Gear economy incubator with 800 fill power = 13.2oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 800 fill power = 14.42oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 850 fill power = 13.64oz fill weight
    UGQ Zeppelin with 950 fill power = 12.34oz fill weight

All info came from the technical spec sheets from the vendors' websites.
    They're all roughly similar at about 76 or 77 inches long and about 44 inches wide.
    The warbonnet wooki XL seems to be the lightest weight underquilt when comparing all 20 degree quilts.

What say ye? Which UQ is the warmest?
    I have or have had all 3. There is a significant difference in the size of the insulated portion between the 3. I suspect that is what drives the difference in amount of fill more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Lots of variation in sizes of widths and lengths. Total fill weights will run accordingly. All these vendors are good to their ratings and the quilts do a great job insulating specific coverage areas.

I'm no longer a partial UQ fan. I've successfully managed full comfort Hammock UL status with full length asym bottom insulation. Neither bulk nor weight penalty ended up being a major obstacle. Finding a pack with enough pockets and room on the outside of the pack body to store everything and I mean everything that can get wet, made it easy to find room inside for hammock, insulation and clothes that cannot.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts