Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images

Sew-on Dutch clips

Are there any guidelines for the safest stitching configuration for sewing Dutch clips to the ends of 1" Spider webbing 1.5. For example, box stitch length, box stitch plus cross stitching, cross stitching only, etc.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I would say use whatever you trust when stitching loops on the end of straps to make huggers...

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I would say box stich and a crossing the middle would be good that's what I have on a few straps been using them a few years now still holding strong
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I wouldn't use sewn-in clips on spider 1.5. I have cut the second one off after the first one slipped and severed its strap. All my spider straps now have some form of a soft shackle/evo loop variant. You will be much, much happier.

Edit: some explanation from a post last year

I have swapped my dutch clips out for evo loop soft links like those made by Myers or Autumn Ultralight. I did this primarily because I did not like fiddling with the clips to get them "just right" around the tree so that they hold but don't make a sharp bend on the metal clip. I use spider 1.5 (UHMWPE) straps which are super slippery and not stiff at all. Even on an easy hang with good trees the whole thing would settle in, drop down and twist on the tree turning a simple thing into an iterative process. This came to a head when I went to hang my rig off some 4" galvanized square tubing holding up a shed roof and the clip on my head end slipped, centered itself and sliced the strap on the edge of the Dutch titanium landing me on the ground.

The soft links are great and can be centered on the tree if you like as the angle no longer matters. Now I just wrap the tree, close the soft link as shown in the video and pull it tight around the tree, weight it a bit to set, tie my toggled MSH or beckett hitch to the hammock where desired and it stays in place with little or no settling when entering the hammock. No more adjusting needed.
    Last edited by gooless; 01-30-2022 at 05:56.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    OK, thanks for the input. I also contacted the techs at Dutchware, they are basically saying the same thing. Their recommendation was an offset double box like the one shown in their DYI info for making tie-outs on a tarp. They emphasized to just make sure the box is at least twice the length of webbing width. I ended up making a box slightly longer than that and put a wide zig zag stitch down the full length of the box. I am not that worried about the clips slipping since I usually have enough suspension length to do a couple of wraps around the tree before I do a becket hitch at the CL.

• + New Posts