Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    20220223_182215.jpg

Went over to my local park and did a test hang. It was super windy (23mph), and I'm wondering what I can do to avoid the wind tunnel effect that I managed to perfect XD. Tarp is the Proventure Hex tarp, with included non continuous Ridgeline and tie outs.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hey from NYC ~ Trying to become the kind of person who camps

It is what it is

But some use internal poles that make an arch to hold tarp against the wind.

Those are good.

Some use mid tarp pullouts.

I usually just tie tarp down lower and hope for the best.

Your rig already looks better than mine on any given day!

Good luck

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfluffle View Post
    20220223_182215.jpg

Went over to my local park and did a test hang. It was super windy (23mph), and I'm wondering what I can do to avoid the wind tunnel effect that I managed to perfect XD. Tarp is the Proventure Hex tarp, with included non continuous Ridgeline and tie outs.
    Some people use larger tarps with doors or have some supplemental doors that can be snapped onto the tarp ends, etc. I've sometimes use a rain poncho rigged up to block wind. I also noticed in your photo that the tarp is pitched fairly high above the hammock, and for best protection it is preferred to pitch the tarp RL right down to the hammock. Gotta bend over to get in, but it's worth it for better protection from the elements.

However my usual strategy is to set up hammock/tarp 90° to the wind, which creates a sheltered spot. In this pic, the wind was similar to what you described in your situation, but you can see that the hammock is shielded nicely. On the windward side, the side panel pullout helps keep the tarp from pressing into the hammock... not 100% of the time but very helpful.

If I know it's going to be very windy and cold I'll carry the HG Palace tarp which has far more side coverage than the basic hex, and doors on both ends. It really makes a difference for overall warmth.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    It is what it is

But some use internal poles that make an arch to hold tarp against the wind.

Those are good.

Some use mid tarp pullouts.

I usually just tie tarp down lower and hope for the best.

Your rig already looks better than mine on any given day!

Good luck
    Ooh, I'll look into those. This particular tarp doesn't have any mid tarp tie out parts built in, but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Some people use larger tarps with doors or have some supplemental doors that can be snapped onto the tarp ends, etc. I've sometimes use a rain poncho rigged up to block wind. I also noticed in your photo that the tarp is pitched fairly high above the hammock, and for best protection it is preferred to pitch the tarp RL right down to the hammock. Gotta bend over to get in, but it's worth it for better protection from the elements.

However my usual strategy is to set up hammock/tarp 90° to the wind, which creates a sheltered spot. In this pic, the wind was similar to what you described in your situation, but you can see that the hammock is shielded nicely. On the windward side, the side panel pullout helps keep the tarp from pressing into the hammock... not 100% of the time but very helpful.

If I know it's going to be very windy and cold I'll carry the HG Palace tarp which has far more side coverage than the basic hex, and doors on both ends. It really makes a difference for overall warmth.
    Thanks for the answer! Looking at your setup, I see how my tarp could be much lower. I just put my tarp ridgeline above where my hammock suspension was on my trees. Next time I will experiment with putting them much lower...

I found myself wishing my tarp had doors just as soon as I realized how windy it was XD. But it was at least noticeably warmer under the tarp, even with the wind blowing through my little wind tunnel. this hex tarp is what I've got for now, so I'll just be more mindful of the direction of the wind next time I pick my trees :P. Gonna toy with a continuous ridgeline next time, as well as rewatching some videos and figuring out how to properly tensions everything up. I made the wonderful(ly stupid) decision to just throw all my stuff into a bag and figure it out outside... at dusk... It was my first time even unfolding this tarp... Some people just gotta learn the hard way, and I'm some people. I'm just really glad that I picked the local park instead of going on an expedition~

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yours is IMO the best way to approach it.

Early in my learning phase I did many short trips to my local park just to play around with stuff and learn how to pitch it correctly and quickly. Don't want surprises in inconvenient places and conditions! Even for the first few "real" overnighters, best to plan for an easy bailout.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Shug, Ive always loved your videos and now I learn you’re a true NY’er! I def need to read up on hammock spots near Northern NJ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Here's sort of a mini guide to camping Harriman http://www.myharriman.com/the-lean-t...harriman-park/ It's a great starting point. Be aware that Harriman has some flat trails and some steep trails. Walking in from Johnsontown road to Dutch Doctor shelter is 2 miles and pretty flat. It's a pleasant, easy walk.Parking on 106 where it crosses the rampano dunderberg trail gives you much shorter walks to either Tom Jones or Bald Rocks shelters, but they are lung bustingly steep. All 3 are good hikes and great camping areas. it just depends what you want.

Also, the Harriman Park trail map is available on Avenza for very little $, and other apps, too. I carry physical maps, too because I have fallen into a river. Last: Please hang a bear bag or bring a bear canister. Please do it right. There are bears in the woods around here. It's extremely unlikely you'll even see a bear and YOU are at no risk from them, but the whole "a fed bear becomes a dead bear" does apply.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Here's sort of a mini guide to camping Harriman http://www.myharriman.com/the-lean-t...harriman-park/ It's a great starting point. Be aware that Harriman has some flat trails and some steep trails. Walking in from Johnsontown road to Dutch Doctor shelter is 2 miles and pretty flat. It's a pleasant, easy walk.Parking on 106 where it crosses the rampano dunderberg trail gives you much shorter walks to either Tom Jones or Bald Rocks shelters, but they are lung bustingly steep. All 3 are good hikes and great camping areas. it just depends what you want.

Also, the Harriman Park trail map is available on Avenza for very little $, and other apps, too. I carry physical maps, too because I have fallen into a river. Last: Please hang a bear bag or bring a bear canister. Please do it right. There are bears in the woods around here. It's extremely unlikely you'll even see a bear and YOU are at no risk from them, but the whole "a fed bear becomes a dead bear" does apply.
    Harriman SP management has put up bear cables at most (probably ALL, eventually) shelters by now. I haven't been to Tom Jones so I don't know about it, specifically, but there are cables at Fingerboard, Bald Rocks, Big Hill, Brien Memorial and probably a few others. I don't think they've been put up at Stockbridge yet... at least I haven't seen them. Hmm... I think Dutch Doctor might have them as well, but don't quote me on that.

Also, I don't know if Tom Jones shelter has been remodeled lately, but it was truly in horrible shape the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

Bears are out already. I've not seen one yet this year, but last week I saw scat on the trail. There was a mega bumper crop last fall of acorns, beech nuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts, etc and the deer and other animals are feasting on them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123