Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps

Hey from NYC ~ Trying to become the kind of person who camps

Howdy y'all,

Long time lurker here, trying to follow up on a sort of New Years Resolution.

I go by Silver or Fluff on the interwebs. I've decided recently that I want to go from being the type of person who reads about camping stuff on the internet to a person who actually camps, so looking for any tips, tricks, and advice to make that a reality.

I got into hammock camping in my teens, after getting rained out on a sleepaway camp overnight and vowing to never end up in that situation again. Since I aged out of the sleepaway camp thing though, I haven't spent a single night under the stars...

Now that I have a steady adult income and also a pleasantly flexible work schedule, I'm looking into gearing up and heading out there. My current dilemma is that finding places to camp around nyc sucks. Any advice on the where's and hows would be suuper appreciated.

Thanks Ya'll!

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome.
    Lots of goid info and advice.
    If you can't find a thread or video with answers to your questions. Just ask.

It's been awhile since I was in your state. I think the best place near there I found for camping was... Canada. Great parks and wilderness just a bit away from the border.

1000 islands park I believe I am thinking of.

Have a good one.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    You will have to travel a bit to get away from the crowds. Upstate has some beautiful spots. Sadly they are being filled up with people escaping city life.
    This place is wonderful for information relating to camping. Look up hammock camping on youtube. You will run into videos from shugemery. Watch these, and you will become wiser in the ways of hammock camping.

Welcome Silverfluffle,

For me, this a great forum to read, watch videos and get advice from folks have experienced it. It makes it less painful learning the "hard way" for me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    The National Park Service has a good iOS app, and good websites. I used to have a good state park app (Pocket Ranger), but it seems to have died. Most state park systems have good websites, though. Closest I’ve lived to NYC is Jersey, and there are good places to camp in South Jersey, and over in Eastern PA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfluffle View Post
    Howdy y'all,

Long time lurker here, trying to follow up on a sort of New Years Resolution.

I go by Silver or Fluff on the interwebs. I've decided recently that I want to go from being the type of person who reads about camping stuff on the internet to a person who actually camps, so looking for any tips, tricks, and advice to make that a reality.

I got into hammock camping in my teens, after getting rained out on a sleepaway camp overnight and vowing to never end up in that situation again. Since I aged out of the sleepaway camp thing though, I haven't spent a single night under the stars...

Now that I have a steady adult income and also a pleasantly flexible work schedule, I'm looking into gearing up and heading out there. My current dilemma is that finding places to camp around nyc sucks. Any advice on the where's and hows would be suuper appreciated.

Thanks Ya'll!
    Welcome from up the road a bit, in Westchester county.

If you have a car there are lots more possibilities, but a fave with NYC folks is Harriman State Park, taking public transportation, either bus or train, to Tuxedo station or Harriman station along Rt 17. From there, access to a couple of hundred miles of trails is possible. Get the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps for starters. There are other bus access locations, such as Bear Mtn, Suffern, and more. There are also some more NYC people here on HF who have a lot more personal knowledge than I do about public transport to other locations. You can also get to the Catskills and Adirondacks.

Sometimes it can get crowded on weekends/holidays but you mentioned flexible schedule so if you can go M-F you've pretty much got it to yourself.

Harriman _Tuxedo_crop.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-22-2022 at 16:17.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Welcome from up the road a bit, in Westchester county.

If you have a car there are lots more possibilities, but a fave with NYC folks is Harriman State Park, taking public transportation, either bus or train, to Tuxedo station or Harriman station along Rt 17. From there, access to a couple of hundred miles of trails is possible. Get the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps for starters. There are other bus access locations, such as Bear Mtn, Suffern, NJ, and more. There are also some more NYC people here on HF who have a lot more personal knowledge than I do about public transport to other locations. You can also get to the Catskills and Adirondacks.

Sometimes it can get crowded on weekends/holidays but you mentioned flexible schedule so if you can go M-F you've pretty much got it to yourself.

Harriman _Tuxedo_crop.jpg
    Ooh, I'll have to check this out! Thank you. I have some friends with cars, but no car or license myself, so if i can't convince someone to do the round trip dropping me off I'll have to take the bus out to places ;;

Hammock
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Look up hammock camping on youtube. You will run into videos from shugemery. Watch these, and you will become wiser in the ways of hammock camping.
    My favorite pastime honestly, is just watching all the gear videos and thru hiking stuff on youtube. I also wanna get into kayaking SO much good stuff, but also, if feels like all those people live right next door to a forest, and I don't even have a backyard :')

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Welcome. Plenty of camping opportunities in Harriman, many of which can be accessed with short hikes. Harriman is rocky and it's 'uphill both ways!" so maybe take a day hike before loading up your camping gear and setting out overnight.
    Here is a thread that is running down in Trip Reports that is pretty specific to Harriman. There are also camping opportunities in the outer Boros, although I can't speak to hammocking; I think they are mostly tent sites. Also look at Ward Pound Ridge in Westchester.

For a bit longer drive you can get to the Hudson Valley and some of the Catskill trail systems. There's a few NYers here that are active. One last thing, the NY-NJ Trail Conference guides books are excellent for identifying loop hikes of all lengths. They also help support the people who maintain the trails; it's heroic work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Oh, thank you! I'm gonna check that out for sure. I'm worried about going all the way to the Catskills when I have no practical idea of what I'm doing, lol. But Harriman looks like a nice proving ground... I don't have a setup to keep me warm until March, but I'm gonna try to get over there for a day hike in the meantime.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast