I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I lived in NYC (440 E. 78th St) Meg and I used to go camp at Fahnestock State Park. There are some walk in sites. Better for sure! Near the water. About 60 miles north from NYC. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/133/hunting.aspx
    Oh what I'd give for a Papaya King hot dog. And a Italian Village pizza slice. 1494 1st Ave
    That was my local go-to slice~~!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Oooh, I'll check it out. Is that the kind of place you have to pay to a reserve a campsite? I am painfully cheap and worried there will be nowhere to hang on a tent plot...

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfluffle View Post
    Oh, thank you! I'm gonna check that out for sure. I'm worried about going all the way to the Catskills when I have no practical idea of what I'm doing, lol. .........
    Suggestion: use a day hike closer to your home to test your gear and set-up process. Pick a 'quiet' park near your house, take a day hike and find a secluded spot to rig up your hammock, practice with your stove, and re-pack everything for the hike back to the car/subway/bus. There's camping at Floyd Bennett Field in-season and countless smaller parks you could practice in. If driving upstate is too much, there are parks in Nassau (in the spring) where you can reserve a campsite, drive in, do your thing and head home.

Also don't over think it too much (ok, winter camping requires some attention to detail). Pack (there's plenty of gear lists on this forum and Shug has videos on how to pack) > walk to campsite > Set up hammock (Shug's videos are the bible for this in my opinion) > acquire water if necessary > cook (plenty of videos on alcohol vs canister stoves) > sleep > cook > walk back to start. It will take a couple of trips to build a routine and some muscle memory. Then a few more to dial in your gear. This is an activity where the more reps you do, the more you find you don't need a lot of stuff and that it's not rocket surgery.

Silver,

Maybe join a local hiking group. You can watch for local hangs also. Make friends and trade for rides i.e. ride = you buying and making all the food and/or adult beverages.

Be frugal, not cheap. No matter what you do in this hobby or any hobby for that matter, you will usually have to shell out some cash. That said, good hammocking/ camping gear can be had for reasonable money. There are also many things that you can DIY. Look for gear that is multi purpose, cuts down on cost, weight and space.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oooh, I'll check it out. Is that the kind of place you have to pay to a reserve a campsite? I am painfully cheap and worried there will be nowhere to hang on a tent plot...
    There is always Central Park for a hammock test. Go deep into the woods. Maybe the Rambles. There were also trees in various spots on John Jay Park side.
    I left NYC in 1989 so things may be different now?~!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Ooh, the park advice is good. I'm actually in the Queens part of the city, so I should be able to find a park that won't mind me setting up on a tree for a little bit...

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Ooh, the park advice is good. I'm actually in the Queens part of the city, so I should be able to find a park that won't mind me setting up on a tree for a little bit...
    Cunningham Park. Plenty of trees.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    My favorite pastime honestly, is just watching all the gear videos and thru hiking stuff on youtube. I also wanna get into kayaking SO much good stuff, but also, if feels like all those people live right next door to a forest, and I don't even have a backyard :')
    Might want to add Mike Clelland to your list of YT backpacking videos. He has a whole series on ultralight (UL) backpacking and breaks down the basics for various subsystems like clothing, cooking etc. Here's a good starter for what he carries in his backpack. The backpacking videos are several years ago, but for the past few years he's gotten into UFOs, alien abduction, Sasquatch and the like, so if you first find the weird stuff, well, yeah that's him, too.

There's also an Ultra Lite Gear sub-forum right here on HF but you must be a donating member ($10/yr) for access to that and many other interesting non-hammock subforums.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    This video has a cat in it. 100/10. Good cat

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hey from NYC ~ Trying to become the kind of person who camps

If possible, at first, camp with a friend, who has at least some experience, camping, hammock camping. Maybe in late spring or early fall, you can go to a group hang, listed on Hammock Forums…
    There you will get a crash course in hammockology
    And meet lots of campers.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 01-24-2022 at 14:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast