Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

Hanging with Winter Storm Izzy

I had planned to go to the Whites last weekend but with a potential windchill of -30°F our initial plan fell apart and our group resolve splintered. And with a storm planning to dump a lot of snow up there on Monday, I had little desire to drive home through that.

So I stayed closer to home and decided to subject myself to wind and rain in order to truly test the Winterdream tarp. Overall it was a great success despite a few mistakes. Early in the storm it snowed which slooshed off easily enough but at some point I fell asleep while that snow turned to sleet. Suddenly there was no more slooshing - only sagging! I woke up to my tarp right over my face which was...not desirable. Due to some poorly strung pullouts the slush had began to accumulate and weigh the tarp down. It was easy enough to push off from underneath but I had to go out into the elements to pull the toggles tighter against the ridgeline. Wasn't easy with the weight of the tarp but I pulled them apart enough to get the level almost to where it was.

After that stressful event I settled back in for a few more comfortable hours. The wind was really whipping at times but I remained warm and dry. So overall I consider this a great success of the tarp. Learned some more valuable lessons and now I am confident that if hung properly this tarp will definitely protect me from the elements. Viva la doors with snaps!

Here's a video of my night. Any suggestions, comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Thanks for sharing! I definitely count it a success when you get a chance to test out your gear against trying conditions and find what's working and what can use some further tuning.

I recently picked up a winter tarp with door snaps — I almost went without and would certainly be fine without them but I love having them.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thank you for sharing.

Once I had gotten a tarp with doors I felt like an idiot for thinking they were too big and heavy to be worth buying before.

I could not follow the link to your YouTube video. Just letting you know in case it's a problem with YouTube and not my phone.

Glad to see people out enjoying themselves

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I definitely count it a success when you get a chance to test out your gear against trying conditions and find what's working and what can use some further tuning.
    It's true, I feel good after that test.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Once I had gotten a tarp with doors I felt like an idiot for thinking they were too big and heavy to be worth buying before.
    Before the Winterdream I was using a Hennessey Hex Fly tarp. The Winterdream made of silpoly is still lighter than the Hex Fly, doors and all!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Great minds think alike. I also used the storm to test how my 12' tarp with doors handled wind and wintry mix.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    It's true, I feel good after that test.

Before the Winterdream I was using a Hennessey Hex Fly tarp. The Winterdream made of silpoly is still lighter than the Hex Fly, doors and all!
    I keep thinking about that Winter Dream. You've got me thinking a little bit harder.

Hard to justify buying instead of making something to my wife when I already have one.

I would bet I can get by making a dyneema tarp easier than I can buy a new one, even though it'll be more expensive.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Great minds think alike. I also used the storm to test how my 12' tarp with doors handled wind and wintry mix.
    That thing is nifty. Is that a repurposed swingset or did you build that specifically for your hammock?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    That thing is nifty. Is that a repurposed swingset or did you build that specifically for your hammock?
    It's just a regular old swingset, swings clip on and off easily enough to try out new gear when I like. I'd rather hang from trees that I have in another part of the yard that are a little easier to get foot end height where I like it, but ice storms in GA with 30 mph gusts made me a little bit more wary of limbs .

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great in the field test & review! Nice recovery on the tarp at 3am too... those unexpected hiccups on a trip, keep you on your toes.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Enjoyed the breakdown of what you thought went wrong with tarp setup. Would’ve watched a full video of that.

We had the rare 6-8in snow overnight here recently. Couldn’t get out to camp but still had fun sleeping in the yard seeing what works and what doesn’t with the setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts