Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Thank you for the great explanation. I have no issues with the sides being slick with no quilting, as long as it keeps me warm. I had considered trying to find one of those tools they use to put the thin connectors between a pair of gloves or socks, and add one or two if needed. You have made me feel better about not needing anything.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm late to the party, but the quilt looks great!

Apex is perfect for these warmer-rated quilts which don't weigh a whole lot more than down and are still quite compact. And both Apex and Argon are great materials for wet weather and/or high humidity.

There are Argon 67 and 49 which would yield a slightly lighter finished product. Although I don't sew I'm guessing folks who do would say those lighter materials are harder to handle.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are Argon 67 and 49 which would yield a slightly lighter finished product. Although I don't sew I'm guessing folks who do would say those lighter materials are harder to handle.
    I considered both Argon 49 and Argon 67, but those fabrics are a quite a bit more expensive for the weight savings. I always seem to find myself debating cost per grams saved. And the lighter weight stuff is more difficult to sew.

In the end, I found the Argon 90 fabrics I used as remnants on sale in Dutch's closeouts section. I just couldn't resist the sale price. Plus, I think the two fabrics match up nicely and I love the woodland camo print. You can't get Argon 49 or Argon 67 in woodland camo, only solid colors.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Excellent top quilt! I am about to embark on a project -- synthetic top quilt and underquilt -- so I really and truly appreciate your tips. Awesome, thank you.
    I have sewn my own: Backpack, hammock, bugnet, tarp, "Costco" top quilt with faux baffles, and Costco underquilt with "clew" suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made a top quilt using Argon 90 but instead of using Apex Climashield, I used ‘UP’ from Dutch and it turned out pretty nice. It behaves pretty much like down does.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielauren View Post
    Excellent top quilt! I am about to embark on a project -- synthetic top quilt and underquilt -- so I really and truly appreciate your tips. Awesome, thank you.
    You're welcome! I searched for and found a lot ideas, videos, etc. on this forum and the web as I was preparing to make my TQ and many of those sites had tips or suggestions buried in them, but I didn't see anything where a lot of tips were collected together. I won't pretend that my suggestions are all-encompassing or even particularly insightful, but hopefully they help a little for those thinking about doing something similar.

I was also hoping to create a thread where others could add their own suggestions and tips. There are a lot of folks out there with much more DIY experience than me who have a lot of valuable thoughts to share.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It's been a while since I tried it, but I seem to recall that you can sew a layer of Apex to fabric without snagging if you put the fabric on top. The insulation doesn't snag on the transport dogs, but it would snag on the presser foot if it faced up. When I had to sew multiple layers with insulation on the top and the bottom (as in making darts), I used a strip of newspaper on top of the insulation and sewed through it and all the layers below. The newspaper pulls right off the finished seam, tearing on the stitch holes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123