Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tato Spud View Post
    Perhaps we have witnessed the start of a new cottage vendor?
    I don't think so! LOL!!

The quilt didn't take but about 4-5 hours total (including all the measuring, measuring again, cutting, threading the machine, pinning pinning, pinning, pinning, etc.) and my cursing moments were surprisingly few. But I've got too many other personal projects lined up and waiting to go (i.e. another storage sack, two more hammocks, a hex tarp, another ridgeline organizer, another peak shelf, another water bottle holder, etc.). It's hard enough to find enough time to make my own stuff for my own selfish pleasure. There's no way I would have the time to do it for someone else.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Images
    Looks good- bet you're eager for warmer weather so you can try it out. Another way to do a foot box is to make it square with rounded corners. I did this on my down top quilt and find it very comfortable.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Very nice. You do great work. I am in process of doing an underquilt with 5.50z Apex.
    How "billowy" is the quilt with no darts, and spread out? That is my main concern in making it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Very nice. You do great work. I am in process of doing an underquilt with 5.50z Apex.
    How "billowy" is the quilt with no darts, and spread out? That is my main concern in making it.
    Billowy? Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the quilt was not unmanageable at all. The layers lay very flat together so they were easy to pin and cut. No waves or bulges or anything like that. And it was very easy to move around the layers to do the sewing once they were pinned together. Even the pinning wasn't particularly daunting. I just used a lot of them. But glad I did because I think they helped keep things together neatly as I worked.

Of course 5.5 APEX will be thicker than 2.5 APEX so not sure how that will impact things. Perhaps someone who has worked with both can address that.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    btw ... I just remembered one more tip that really helped me out ...

The Argon 90 came to me folded and I had been storing it in a fabric box since September. Over time, it had developed some wrinkles and creases (only natural). I figured they wouldn't matter much because the quilt was bound to get wrinkly eventually anyway. But I found that the wrinkles/creases really screwed with my measurements, they were harder to mark on, and they made pinning the layers together neatly much more difficult.

It really helped to iron the fabric before I started all that measuring, marking, pinning and cutting. I was concerned that I might burn the fabric, so initially I used a pillow case between the iron and the fabric. But I found that I could iron the fabric directly using very low heat. The iron didn't need to be very hot, the Argon 90 held up nicely, and the creases and wrinkles melted away very quickly.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Late to the thread, but that TQ looks great. Really nice job on that. An Apex TQ is my next project.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Billowy? Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the quilt was not unmanageable at all. The layers lay very flat together so they were easy to pin and cut. No waves or bulges or anything like that. And it was very easy to move around the layers to do the sewing once they were pinned together. Even the pinning wasn't particularly daunting. I just used a lot of them. But glad I did because I think they helped keep things together neatly as I worked.

Of course 5.5 APEX will be thicker than 2.5 APEX so not sure how that will impact things. Perhaps someone who has worked with both can address that.
    I just realized that you might have been referring to the apparent "billow" in the middle of the quilt in the photographs. That's misleading. That billow doesn't really exist. I simply didn't smooth the quilt down when I took the picture.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    OK. In making the underquilt, it will be inner-apex-outer and it is held together only by the outside seams. Just worried about the 3 layers playing well together, and not separating.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    OK. In making the underquilt, it will be inner-apex-outer and it is held together only by the outside seams. Just worried about the 3 layers playing well together, and not separating.
    I sewed through all three layers only by the outside seams and they seem to hold together pretty solidly. No shifting or separating.

I found a couple of instructions where folks had added additional methods of securing the layers. One person used short segments of yarn to secure the APEX to the outer layers, one short piece of yarn at a time across the entire body of the quilt. That had to be extremely time-consuming. I believe it is overkill and unnecessary added weight. Plus I think it looks horrible. But that's just me. They liked the look. Another person stitched a "baffle" pattern like on a down quilt. But his primary purpose wasn't to reinforce the connection between the three layers; he just liked the look better than the smooth look you see on most synthetic quilts.

From what I've seen, most folks (including the cottage vendors) just sew the layers together at the outer seam and I haven't seen anyone complain about the layers separating. But there's nothing preventing you from adding some additional stitching across the body of the quilt for added security if you want. And maybe you can get creative with the stitching pattern too. My only reluctance would be the reduction in insulating capacity innate to a sewn-thru quilt. It's probably not as much of an impact as a sewn-thru down quilt, but I'd think you'd still be reducing the insulating quality of APEX as well since it gets compressed at the stitching. Just something to consider.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    If you are worried about the separating prior to or during the sewing, the solution is pin, pin, pin, pin, pin, pin, pin, pin ....
    The more pins, the more secure. I probably used many more pins than I needed to, but I don't regret it at all. They really helped keep things together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast