El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie

No more marlinspike

I have been trying a way to wrap a tree and hang my whoopies faster.
    No hardware needed, no chance of your whoopie slipping off.
    I tested with uhmwpe straps and didn't fall after a couple of uses.

https://youtu.be/7w1VMXd_uaY

Hope it makes somebodies life easier.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Huh interesting. Like a half hitch/beckett with the whoopi onto your strap.

I still can never settle on a suspension. Im 50/50 cinch buckles or whoopi slings it seems. Will have to give this a try sometime, if I cant get it to work I can usually find a stick that works as a toggle.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    reminds me a lot of the j-bend

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10
    Insulation
    Wookie/JRB shndoa
    Suspension
    trees.....duh
    Im working through a similar process now. Saving the adjustability of whoopies while streamlining hookup, and of course reducing weight. Frankly I think its just a stop along the way to ending up at dynaweave becket straight to hammock.

One of the interesting ideas Ive seen was using a CL doubled over on the adjustable end of the whoopie and becket to that. Jeff Myers video on youtube I believe. I was thinking it would be cool to splice a small continuous loop on there instead of the bead, if that was someones jam. When I tried it though I remember thinking, if I'm tying this knot anyway, and to a CL no less, why not get a longer strap and tie it straight to the hammock and be done with it. LOL

Its all quite fun though.

With the OPs system my concerns are for where the knot terminates at the sewn eye, if that apparatus capsizes back through there it seem like it could fail. Not a critisism, just an observation.
    Last edited by Runsalone; 01-26-2022 at 11:00.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Im working through a similar process now. Saving the adjustability of whoopies while streamlining hookup, and of course reducing weight. Frankly I think its just a stop along the way to ending up at dynaweave becket straight to hammock.

One of the interesting ideas Ive seen was using a CL doubled over on the adjustable end of the whoopie and becket to that. Jeff Myers video on youtube I believe. I was thinking it would be cool to splice a small continuous loop on there instead of the bead, if that was someones jam. When I tried it though I remember thinking, if I'm tying this knot anyway, and to a CL no less, why not get a longer strap and tie it straight to the hammock and be done with it. LOL

Its all quite fun though.

With the OPs system my concerns are for where the knot terminates at the sewn eye, if that apparatus capsizes back through there it seem like it could fail. Not a critisism, just an observation.
    Thanks for taking a moment to not only look at this but also think of ways it could go wrong

You have a point.

If you don't tighten the hitch it will slide right through when you add weight as well.

You can always add a slippery half hitch through the loop to keep it from being able to pull through if it concerns you. Have not found it necessary though as long as everything has been tightened before loading I have not had any issues.

I will say there is no chance of you having your whoopie bouncing off the knot like you will with a marlinspike in this.

The other advantage to it is of course still having your whoopies' adjustability versus going to a Beckett or J-bend straight to your continuous loop.

As far as I'm aware this is an original method to me which means it has some flaws for sure.

I'm not really aware of anything that doesn't need a bit of care to use.
    Being able to set it once test, and then ignore it until I take my hammock down, is slightly better to me then having to check to make sure that my whoopies haven't slid off the knot and onto the toggle if I jump up quick.

Surely I am not the only person that has gotten up piddled for a bit and then tried to sit back in their hammock and ended up on the ground?

I'm a big marlinspike whoopie fan. I spent a fair bit of time trying to keep that adjustability in different ways of attaching hammocks. I keep going back to it versus the Becket hitch / continuous Loops because it's so much of a pain in the butt to readjust your hang.

This is faster and easier for me.

I do not have to either carry a toggle anymore, use strap or sticks. And I'm still just using my whoopies, sliding my hammock up and down left and right as the urge takes me.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    When I tried it though I remember thinking, if I'm tying this knot anyway, and to a CL no less, why not get a longer strap and tie it straight to the hammock and be done with it. LOL
    Bingo. Keep it simple, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

You might like this:

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Ooh, I missed that video. Knots are not my strong point. I'll add that to the day's watch list while the Bomb cyclone/Nor' Easter/ Blizzard / Storm of the Century blows through my neighborhood. It was nice to see the new last night talk about something other than Covid.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lol the weather people really luv to hype it up — MILLIONS hit by BOMB CYCLONE!!!

I just got back from risking my life by walking the dog. Yes, a good day to play with knots.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Huh interesting. Like a half hitch/beckett with the whoopi onto your strap.

I still can never settle on a suspension. Im 50/50 cinch buckles or whoopi slings it seems. Will have to give this a try sometime, if I cant get it to work I can usually find a stick that works as a toggle.
    I'm split between whoopies and beckett hitch. I still carry the whoopies in case I come across a very long hang, but most of the time I have plenty of tree strap to do the beckett just fine.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I don't recall ever having to make a long hang.Seems that most of my hangs are spent dealing with being able to get an 11 foot tarp in between the trees.I love my 12 footer but no longer carry it for that reason.But all my experience is in the piney woods of Georgia and we are Thick with trees here.Sometimes there's just too many and having room for the tarp to tie out is also an inconvenience cause there can be a tree in the way.

Once I went with the Evo loop on the hammock for the CL I started using Meyer's blue suspension and becket hitch such that the hitch engages the knot on the Evo loop.As long as you remember to "set it" with a firm tug you'll be good to go as it is quite obvious whether or not you have engaged the knot on the Evo loop.It works for me.....

• + New Posts