Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    new to it
    Insulation
    snuggler
    Suspension
    daisy chain

where to place ropes for tarp

question from a new guy to the hammock camping I bought the east hills outdoors jungle explorer hammock with bug net my question is do you set the rope for your tarp bellow your suspension straps or above it

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Welcome to HF!

The tarp ridgeline will attach on the tree lower than your hammock suspension. The farther away your trees are the higher you will also need to place the Hammock suspension on the trunk. If you are short you can use a hiking pole or stick push to straps higher if need be.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 01-16-2022 at 23:34.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersoutdoors View Post
    question from a new guy to the hammock camping I bought the east hills outdoors jungle explorer hammock with bug net my question is do you set the rope for your tarp bellow your suspension straps or above it
    I saw your other thread and posted you a link to Shug's tarp playlist on YouTube.
    He is the herald of hammocks.

I hope that's not a faux pas posting a link to his content by the way, if it is I apologize.

And here's the first picture of my hammock tied to a tree that I found on my phone where you can see the tarp and hammocks.

Welcome.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Definitely below it. And the smaller the tarp, the closer you want it to be to the hammock for better rain/wind protection.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Why is it important to put the tarp ropes below the suspension ropes? (Not an argument, I’ll just remember better if I know why.). Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATPringles View Post
    Why is it important to put the tarp ropes below the suspension ropes? (Not an argument, I’ll just remember better if I know why.). Thanks.
    As in the photo above, for me it is to get the tarp as low as possible for better protection from the elements.

Depending on the distance between trees, the hammock suspension will be higher for trees farther apart, and lower for trees closer together. On the other hand, your preferred tarp height probably will not change more than a few inches. So unless the trees are really close together and you like to pitch your tarp very high, the tarp ridge line will practically always be lower than the hammock attachment points at the trees.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    On the photo below I have two hammocks and two tarps on one tree.
    The tarps are pitched high for good wrather.

If you zoom in to look at the lines going to the tarps. There's a demonstration of how I pitch a split and continuous Ridgeline to allow for tight pitches and adjustments.

The Black rope leading off to the left is a split Ridgeline. It passes behind the tree and is secured back to the tie outs on the tarp. This creates an open triangle.

The hammock it covers is the suspension lowest on the tree. When I want it lowered I will slide the ropes down the tree until the hammock tie out starts to push on my hammock suspension. Then once I get in my hammock it'll take the strain off that tarp, my tarp will be in line with the Ridgeline of my hammock instead of catty corner.

Having that open V but you have the suspension let me finish points higher on the tree down in between the two ropes to remain centered.

The hammock and perfect are very difficult to see from this angle is the suspension highest on the tree and the rib wrote leading away from you.
    That is a continuous Ridgeline that runs the full length from tree to tree and my tarp hangs underneath it.

Rather than tie back to the hammock itself I use a Trucker's Hitch on either end to provide the same open V shape of the appropriate size to allow me to go down until I make contact with my hammock suspension.

If you're using an asymmetrical tarp. I've had better luck actually wrapping the tree with the rope to pull to an opposite side from which my hammock suspension is coming.

我宁愿在山上。
    Last edited by rmcrow2; 01-17-2022 at 09:28. Reason: Spelin

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersoutdoors View Post
    You'll find, with experience, that either way works. Generally, above your hammock suspension in summer when it's hot and the weather is nice, below in winter when it's cold and usually windy or in rainy weather. Like most things related to hammocks, there's no one size fits all.

It would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of Derek Hansen's book "The Ultimate Hang". It's a wealth of knowledge I wish would have been available when I was starting out.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a note that this thread is running parallel with one with the same topic in the General Hammock forum.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Along with an eerily similar post on f@#$&**k

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast