SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Recommendations in SC/GA

Not really an outing, but I'm going to be driving from Philadelphia to Fort Myers Florida (helping inlaws move stuff back from there) and looking for someplace about midway to spend a night each way. Are there any state parks or campgrounds (that would be open in late February) that aren't too far from I-95?

The in-laws are willing to pay for me to stay in a hotel, but I know my hammock and quilts don't have bedbugs

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    In NC check out Merchants Mill Pond and or Medoc Mt State Parks. There are places to hang hammocks in the family camp sites at both parks.

Most of the "bed bugs" people claim to see at hotels are roaches. You can not always trust the reviews on hotels as I found one lady (?) posted the exact same bad review ( copy and past ) on every hotel along one section of I 95 in SC.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Honestly, I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never found bedbugs. That being said, I hate staying in hotels, especially for a single night. I never sleep well the first night, so I know I'd sleep better in my hammock. Having driven I 95 in that area too many times in my life, I'm sure there are plenty of places I could stealth camp, but would prefer an established location, even if it means paying a bit for a campsite or permit.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check them out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    You can try Santee S.P. in SC, mile marker 99 at Santee Lake. Palmetto State Hangers have had some group hangs there. A few miles off the interstate. And there is Ft MacAllister S.P. at Richmond Hill GA, south of Savannah, mile marker 90, then GA 144 east/south. Again a few miles off the interstate. We have camped with a Scout Jamboree there and there will be no shortage of trees. But you might need some longer straps for the size of the trees.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I didn't stay here, but I did check it out while on a day trip: Givhans Ferry State Park in Ridgeville SC. It's about 20 minutes from I-95. It's geared towards RVs and trailers, but there are a few "primitive-ish" sites for tents and hammocks only. Two night stay minimum though, so it might be a little spendy (looks like $25 a night, eesh)...I don't recall it being that high, but it was also 3 years ago.

https://southcarolinaparks.com/givha...y/camping#jump

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It looks like all SC state parks have a two-night minimum, so they're effectively out. Factoring in the times that parks' gates close (most between 5-7 PM), I can make it to lower NC in that time, at least on the way down.

I'm looking at Lumber River State Park now, specifically the Princess Ann campground. Seems to check all the boxes (not far off I-95, cheap [$12/night], allows one-night stay and gates are open until 7:00 PM). It looks like most sites have a huge sand (ick) tent pad with a few trees on the perimeter, so it shouldn't be difficult to find a suitable pair to hang from.

Any particular rules in NC for hammocks (e.g.: 2" straps, etc.)?

Now, on the way back, it looks like Ft. MacAllister in GA is going to be the best bet. It's a bit pricier ($33/night), but that seems to be the standard rate in GA.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    The Chalk Banks section of Lumber River State Park is very little used, and several of the campsites have hammock posts that have been put in as local Eagle Projects. My scouts and I camp there fairly regularly, and just use trees — no special rules, besides using tree straps; expect to chat with a ranger at some point. Only downside is that they don’t have plumbing or electricity, so you may have a bit of a walk to the one (well-maintained) pit toilet in the camping area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Any particular rules in NC for hammocks (e.g.: 2" straps, etc.)?

Any NC SP that allows camping also allows hammocks. Straps are fine. The only thing they will get mad about is if they catch you driving nails into the trees or cutting any of the trees and or brush. However not all of the SP campsites have trees suitable for hanging your hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    The Chalk Banks section of Lumber River State Park is very little used, and several of the campsites have hammock posts that have been put in as local Eagle Projects. My scouts and I camp there fairly regularly, and just use trees — no special rules, besides using tree straps; expect to chat with a ranger at some point. Only downside is that they don’t have plumbing or electricity, so you may have a bit of a walk to the one (well-maintained) pit toilet in the camping area.
    I already booked at the Princess Ann site (it seems a bit closer to the highway, so - in theory - should be easier to get to). I got the site directly across from the latrines and next to the water source.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Any NC SP that allows camping also allows hammocks. Straps are fine. The only thing they will get mad about is if they catch you driving nails into the trees or cutting any of the trees and or brush. However not all of the SP campsites have trees suitable for hanging your hammock.
    Yeah, I can see them having an issue with nails - I don't typically (ever) use them. I also scoured the site photos to try locating one with suitable trees.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Have fun at Princess Ann — I’ve never actually stayed at that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast