Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

To 3/4 UQ or not, for that is the question

So, I currently have a HG 20 deg burrow UQ. Love it. I am considering getting something that’s for 40 deg and up weather though. I have been considering a 3/4 length phoenix. Most of the stuff you can find folks are like “ just put a sit pad down in the food box to keep your feet warm” - but does that REALLY work? Interested in first hand reviews of 3/4 length users and how you keep your toes warm. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The 3/4 takes up less space in your pack for 3 season camping. Cost less as well. Weighs less. Sit pad is dual purpose.
    I use a Thermarest sit pad under-inflated inside my top quilt. Feet always warm.
    You will get a lot of opinions but will never know for sure until you try it.
    Pads on footend at 9:57 in video below.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 01-15-2022 at 11:29.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For 40 deg and above I use 3/4 length and never a problem. I also use my CCF sit pad inside quilt for insulation.

I also have a 20 deg which actually works for me down to actual 20deg if the conditions are not too heinous, which is to say super windy or snowy.

And I have a 20deg Incubator for by-gawd winter conditions, and use it with a HG Palace tarp. Very warm combo.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've used torso-length pads for ground sleeping since the 1960's, used the same torso-length pads when I got my first hammock, and continued with the torso-length philosophy when I got an underquilt.

It works as advertised. I have a 20* Yeti, and I always carry a cut down (6-8 sections) Z-rest. If it's mild, the UQ is plenty. As the temperature drops, I slip the Z-rest under my legs and I'm good into the teens. The combination is a true 3-season setup, with less bulk than a full-length UQ, and the Z-rest offers flexibility (and is great for lunch naps, etc.).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    How do people keep the pad stable under your feet while you sleep? I got a Phoenix last spring, and haven’t used it much because I haven’t done much backpacking. I have the Arrowhead Equipment foam pad, but I’ve used it more for sitting at this point than sleeping.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    How do people keep the pad stable under your feet while you sleep? I got a Phoenix last spring, and haven’t used it much because I haven’t done much backpacking. I have the Arrowhead Equipment foam pad, but I’ve used it more for sitting at this point than sleeping.

Mine goes inside my top quilt. No condensation that way for me as well.
    Last edited by Shug; 01-15-2022 at 18:34.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yep, put it inside the footbox of the quilt.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use a 40/40 Phoenix/Burrow setup for all my Florida camping, and I've used it up in NC a few times. End of June, no issues. Mid October, my lower legs got cold a few nights (didn't bring a sit pad). Most nights were in the 50s, but those cold leg nights it had dropped into the 40s. I think it works well into the 50s, but once it approaches the upper 40s I need to supplement the footbox with a sit pad or some other extra insulation. So, I got a 20F Incubator for those cooler trips. Looking back, I probably should've gotten the 30F instead (less bulk)...as I don't think I'll be doing any real winter camping.

Also, it could depend on your height as well. I'm 6'1" and the Phoenix covers my shoulders to just past my knees. Shorter folks can get almost full coverage with the 3/4 length.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m just under 5’6” and the ¾ is fine for me. More than fine. Because my legs, in a diagonal lie, don’t push the sides out like they would a full length UQ. If I hit the temperature right, the footbox of the TQ is enough to keep that lower part cold. If not, a small insert (or just some outer clothes), used for extra insulation at the foot end, is enough. A ¾ length 40° rated UQ is a great addition for over night on those warmer months and sorter day hikes. But as always, YMMV.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-16-2022 at 18:54.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I have both 20° & 40° Burrow/Phoenix combos & have used a pad in the end of the Burrow and it definitely works keeping my feet warm. I've use a few different sit pads for the task, including the accordion back pad that came with my Zpacks Nero, a Thermarest Z Seat & on my recent trip, a Gossamer Gear SitLight (small) I bought to use with the Nero (perfect fit BTW) & they all fit in the end of the Burrow. The accordion versions work the best though, IMO. And at 10 oz., my HG 40° Phoenix disappears in my pack.

I think during any extended period of time spent colder than 20°, I think I'd probably use a full length underquilt.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 01-15-2022 at 19:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast