Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain

What's Old is New - Another Sleeping Bag Underquilt

Good morning and Happy Friday!

I was walking through the local thrift shop the other day and ran across an inexpensive sleeping bag in really great condition and thought "This could make a really nice, easy underquilt project." So I took it home and got out the gear tools and went to work. When I cut it (yep, I really cut it) I tapered the head and leg/feet areas. At the head it measures 52 inches wide, then opens to 56 inches at the shoulder and torso, and then tapers again to 48 inches at the feet. The finished length is 68 inches. I am a side sleeper and tend to move a lot during the night, so I made it a little wonky to keep coverage while I change positions. Some grosgrain edges, shock cord and line locks later, and voila! Truth in advertising: My wife did the sewing. I am still learning my way around the thread injector. I still need to finish the shock cord ends, but not a bad little project for a Thursday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Very nice! I just bought a down REI 6' bag on ebay, and I am going to try the "clews" modification that just surfaced. The seller measured the loft at 3.5". I figure a wash in Gearaid Revivex, and a ride in the drier with a couple tennis shoes should give me the base for a decent underquilt.

country Russia, region Samara, town Tolyatti
    Hammock
    beloved first one that I made mysel
    Tarp
    he is not yet
    Insulation
    fatty layer =)
    Suspension
    3 meter slings
    Images
    Какая замечательная идея! Видел нечто похожее в одной статье, но там спальник разрезали таким образом что бы получилась труба. Эту трубу надевали на спальник, привязав за концы гамака шнурами.У меня возник вопрос: на фото видно что спальник короткий, так ли это относительно вашего роста?
    --------------translate------------
    What a wonderful idea!I saw something similar in one article, but there the sleeping bag was cut in such a way that a pipe would turn out. This pipe was put on a sleeping bag, tied to the ends of the hammock with cords.I had a question: in the photo you can see that the sleeping bag is short, is this true in relation to your height?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    It is a little shorter than my height. I use a pillow for my head and wear a stocking cap at night so I do not need the coverage for my head.

Best to you!
    There is a skinny healthy guy inside me screaming to get out, but I can usually shut him up with a dozen Boston Creams from Dunkin Donuts.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Very nice! I just bought a down REI 6' bag on ebay, and I am going to try the "clews" modification that just surfaced. The seller measured the loft at 3.5". I figure a wash in Gearaid Revivex, and a ride in the drier with a couple tennis shoes should give me the base for a decent underquilt.
    Did you finish your project? How did it turn out?

Best to you!
    There is a skinny healthy guy inside me screaming to get out, but I can usually shut him up with a dozen Boston Creams from Dunkin Donuts.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
    Did you finish your project? How did it turn out?

Best to you!

I think I am going to sew a new cover for it. The fabric is much thicker, and heavier than modern fabrics, I am doing a second synthetic, just got my insulation, Then I will tackle making one with the down.
    I want to get more experience with the machine before tackling that project.
    I have a plan to make some synthetic booties with the extra insulation and fabric, and doing a 3 season synthetic top quilt.
    RBTR is out of the fabric I want, not sure how often they get stock.

• + New Posts