Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest Guyline Recommendation

I've been using Zing-it for many years. Lately, I've been using a product manufactured under license by one of our more prominent cottage vendors. I really like both of them; however, I do tend to experience a lot of knots and tangling. What's the current recommendation/latest trend in guy lines? Thanks in advance.

I am about to switch my zing-it guylines out, and here is what I am planning: 6' of Glowire, with an inline tarp tensioner out of 1/8" shock cord tied in the middle. I'll continue to attach to my stakes with a marlin spike hitch, and tie it to my tarp with an adjustable grip hitch for any adjusting needed from underneath.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
    I am about to switch my zing-it guylines out, and here is what I am planning: 6' of Glowire, with an inline tarp tensioner out of 1/8" shock cord tied in the middle. I'll continue to attach to my stakes with a marlin spike hitch, and tie it to my tarp with an adjustable grip hitch for any adjusting needed from underneath.
    This is pretty much my exact setup, save for the additional grip hitch. I switched to Glowire (from Zing-It) last year and love it. Not that Zing-It was bad or didn't work. I just prefer how Glowire handles, and the amount of reflection at night is phenomenal!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another Lawson fan here & also use Glowire for my tie outs... an added performance benefit is Lawson cordage products hold a knot really, really well!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Lawson Glowire for all my guy lines because they don’t tangle, easy to knot and very reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    This is pretty much my exact setup, save for the additional grip hitch. I switched to Glowire (from Zing-It) last year and love it. Not that Zing-It was bad or didn't work. I just prefer how Glowire handles, and the amount of reflection at night is phenomenal!
    I can't think of a reason not to do the adjustable grip hitch. I need a knot here anyway so why not one with some utility.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
    I can't think of a reason not to do the adjustable grip hitch. I need a knot here anyway so why not one with some utility.
    It's definitely a good idea, and doesn't add any additional weight. I may end up doing this myself.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use Zing-it because it's what I had laying around after another project. Before that, it was Glowire run through braided mason line prussiks. Before that 100% mason line for years.

I still use the same mason line prussiks with the Zing-it. No problems, no tangles(using the *cmoulder fold) no tensioners, no stretch > DCF. Simple and light no fancy knots or hardware.

Don't sell mason line short on tarps. It will fail in most cases before your tarp, the D-rings and even the Tie-outs. Zing-it. Not so much. Some complain of tangles, but with a little practice you can fold a tarp so it doesn't.

Repair tape is light, but extra cordage doesn't weight much either and I'd rather replace a tie-out or put a knot in a CRL, than repair a tear to my tarp anytime. The weather usually can't be counted on to stop for you to make repairs. Once again cordage repair/replacement much easier.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Zing-it. Not so much. Some complain of tangles, but with a little practice you can fold a tarp so it doesn't.
    Maybe I'm just gifted, but I've never had a knot or tangle in my Zing-it for the last ten years. I just roll my guylines into the tarp and snakeskins.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am a fan of mason line. Been using it for years and so far (x fingers) I have not had issues with it tangling up. I use a figure 8 to wrap it up and a hair band to hold it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast