Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Interesting new guyline tensioning trick
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Currently glowire with the above setup, just because it’s fun. Lawson is so pleasant to use it made me go hardware-less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    After all the endorsements for Glowire, with which I thoroughly concur, I would also note that if you want something non-reflective you can use Guywire, and if you want something a bit stronger there is Ironwire. They also handle very well, hold all knots superbly and resist tangling.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Which thickness glowire do you all use? You use it just for tarp suspension and guylines?

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    Which thickness glowire do you all use? You use it just for tarp suspension and guylines?
    2mm glo for the guys, 2mm iron for the crl for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I've been using 1.75 Lash it for a few years and it's held up super well. Prusiks don't always hold super well, but I used tensioner hardware anyway.

I recently picked up some 1.3mm dyneema, we'll see how that works.

Hammock
    DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I think it comes down to preference. Some lines are better at holding knots than others and line diameter or thickness seems to come down to hardware compatibility. In my entry into hammocking, I ended up buying different cordage and hardware in the beginning and in hindsight, that seems pretty wasteful. If I were starting all over, or helping a friend, I might ask,

"Do you want to tie knots or use hardware to secure your guylines?"

If you want to tie knots, find a diameter you will be comfortable handling and look for materials that are known to not stretch, and will hold/release knots well. I think this means a line with a polyester or poly blend jacket. Diameter of 1.5 and 2.5 mm seems fine to me. There are so many options to choose from. Some of them can also be used with hardware, in case you change your mind.

If you want to use hardware, pick your hardware first, then pick a compatible line.

* If your shelter comes with LineLoc 3s, the choice is easy. 2.5 mm Lawson Glowire and 2.7 mm MLD Guyline were designed for this hardware. Other diameters can be used, but your success may vary. Line lock hooks are similar and are a good option if you want to remove your tarp lines from your tarp.

* If you want to use Dutch bling (tarpworms, hookworms, or ringworms) or Nama Claws, your will want to use 1.75 mm Zing-It or Lash-It. Nama Claws should be able to handle "1.2 mm up to 1.8 mm". I think the Dutchware Ringworms are the easiest to use of the metal options, especially when your hands are cold and wet.

* If you want to use Slide Locks, I think you can use any common tarp guy line between 1 mm and 3 mm. These act like cinch buckles. I have tested these successfully with 1.3 mm Dutch cord, 1.75 mm Zing-It, 2 mm Glowire, and 2.5 mm Glowire.

If you can't decide? My opinion is to get Lawson 2.5 mm Glowire. This will work most common plastic hardware, such as slide locks or line loc 3s, and it holds knots well.

My setup changed over time.
    * I started with Zing-It with hookworms, but I wanted something reflective and easier to handle in the cold rain.
    * Then I tried out hardware that would be easier to use, LineLoc 3s and Line Lock hooks, paired with 2.5 mm Glowire. This worked, but felt so bulky and overkill on my DCF tarp.
    * The to reduce bulk, I am now using Slide Locks, which enable me to use thinner lines such as 1.3 mm Reflective Dutch cord. The slide locks are simple, lightweight (1.8 g), secure from slipping, and easy to adjust. An added benefit is that if these thinner lines become a bad decision, I can upgrade to thicker lines without changing the hardware.

What I've learned in my testing:
    + Line loc type hardware needs properly sized line or it will slip.
    + I like Slide Locks. These seem to be versatile as far as line diameters are concerned.
    + I like reflective lines. My friends trip on my lines.
    + I like to have unnecessary shock cord loops on my DCF tarp for the times when people trip on my reflective lines.
    + I like my adjustments done near the tarp guy outs, so that I can adjust from inside, when it is raining.
    + I like to go lightweight, but I need to be careful about stupid light. I don't want to risk getting wet and putting myself in danger.
    - I don't like trying to remember knots. I just don't backpack enough. I can barely remember the becket hitch. haha
    - I don't like that I need so much more line when using Bar Tensioners and Clam Cleats.
    - I don't like reflect-it. Tangle city. Too abrasive on my fingers.
    - I don't like tarp worms and hook worms anymore. They were way too hard to adjust in the cold rain. I think ringworms are a good option if I go back to Zing-It.
    - I don't like the marlinspike hitch on the stake option. I don't have the luxury of one-and-done stake placement, so I require adjustability. Where I backpack, there are so many rocks in the soil that I have to hunt for a good spot and proper stake angle. I will use this if my hardware device fails though. It is dead simple.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by FinneganMcBrisket; 02-25-2022 at 16:25.

Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    Lawson Glowire for all my guy lines because they don’t tangle, easy to knot and very reflective.
    +1

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12