El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Recommendations for second choice.

I am planning to bike pack the Colorado trail this year in July. My first time. I am planning my final load outs and gear I have to buy now. I am trying to figure which way to slant decisions. Faster easier to haul/More weight better where you are.

I am not sure about the weather there and how much coverage there is for the most part. Being on a bike I can cover a few more miles looking for a good site at the end of the day compared to a hiker.

Assuming I can't take a Minifly or Thunderfly with me.
    Which would be your pick?
    Large and Heeavvvyyish (2.5lb with all lines, and nearly 6l in a stuff sack) winter / tornado weather tarp.<br>Or large coverage lightweight diamond tarp ( 13' long 9' wide smaller than a naglene in a bag) and UQ protector?

Thanks

Images
    I suppose that it all depends upon whether you wish to conquer or convalesce on this trip.

Linger a day or more in a scenic local?

Rains for 2-weeks?

Acclimated to the highest elevations?

For a storm proof "rest-full nights" three week tour, I might take a 13-foot square tarp with carbon poles for an A-frame with doors on each end. Use tennis balls with an X-cut to insert the poles (stormy weather will not rip the tarp) and there are many rocks to use as stakes. Tarp can be in snakeskin to wrap around bike frame for storage.

If your choice is to conquer, then the 13x9 diamond will do you fine, use the rocks for pillows, and crank on.

Although lighter options exist, the "standard" 11' Superfly is hard to beat. You can roll the doors out of the way if not needed. It has 4 side pull-outs that can be used with trees or trekking poles.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Why is the minifly/thunderfly out of the running if you can take another tarp? What is it that makes them no bueno? If it’s cost, I understand. But if your trip is in July, it seems that gives you time to save/earn more money. So why must you “buy now”? I’m not trying to get personal with your finances. “It just is” is a perfectly good answer. It’s only that, “I have to buy now for a trip in July.” seems a strange requirement.

July is a long ways away and I hear tell that climate is changing. Our next five days will be above 50° in December! So you may want to wait until closer to July to make that decision. Around here it would not be surprising if forest fires closed part of the PCT so someone’s summer trip might need to be rescheduled for later in the fall.

For me, a trail hike is NOT about speed. And I’ve been in situations were the only dry spot was in my hammock. I’m now a “big tarp” fan so I can enjoy a dry area outside of the hammock. I have small (minifly) and asymmetrical tarps for day hikes - more for sun blockage. Unless you are in a “lightest backpack” contest, the extra weight/bulk of the larger (larger than minifly) silpoly is only a few ounces. And you’ll be on a bike. I’m guessing you’ll carry much more weight in bike repair kit gear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Why is the minifly/thunderfly out of the running if you can take another tarp? What is it that makes them no bueno? If it’s cost, I understand. But if your trip is in July, it seems that gives you time to save/earn more money. So why must you “buy now”? I’m not trying to get personal with your finances. “It just is” is a perfectly good answer. It’s only that, “I have to buy now for a trip in July.” seems a strange requirement.

July is a long ways away and I hear tell that climate is changing. Our next five days will be above 50° in December! So you may want to wait until closer to July to make that decision. Around here it would not be surprising if forest fires closed part of the PCT so someone’s summer trip might need to be rescheduled for later in the fall.

For me, a trail hike is NOT about speed. And I’ve been in situations were the only dry spot was in my hammock. I’m now a “big tarp” fan so I can enjoy a dry area outside of the hammock. I have small (minifly) and asymmetrical tarps for day hikes - more for sun blockage. Unless you are in a “lightest backpack” contest, the extra weight/bulk of the larger (larger than minifly) silpoly is only a few ounces. And you’ll be on a bike. I’m guessing you’ll carry much more weight in bike repair kit gear.
    The honest-to-god reason is I had a wild thought after being reminded of Thomas Edison hiring people based on whether or not they salted their soup. I wanted to see how other people would weigh decision to help me kill the next couple months until I get to go. That's a lot of Base miles to put in indoors to be able to peddle over those mountains for 10 hours.

The reason I'm doing this now is because I've been planning this for more than a year and I'm down to where I need to make final decisions. After rethinking everything and playing with it for another two months.

I assume that a thunderfly or minifly is the proper tarp. It's what I actually intend to take.

But knowing what someone that has done this before would take out of the second list options, lets me know a little bit more about what they are considering important.

If they've gone through in July and they were fine with a mini fly but if they had their druthers and didn't have to carry the weight they would been a lot happier with a 14ft Ridgeline winter tarp palace with a hot stove. Then I would start thinking the weather is severe whenever it starts to thunder.

If everyone said I would take the diamond fly.
    Then I would assume that whenever the temperature shift happens at night the winds are not too strong, that the rest of the weather is generally considered mild by people that have experience.

Everything is always relative to every person. Rather than try and ask ten thousand individual recommendations as to what was your experience, were you happy?

You go too much down that rabbit hole and you end up with "I'm a hot sleeper / I'm a cold sleeper. Plan for at least 30 degrees but if you are a cold sleeper at 40 dress for 10."

So since I can't sit down and talk with anybody in person.

I started thinking about the two places that all of the rest of my planning is set from.

Underquilt and top quilt rating for temp, and then what kind of storm protection I bring.

If you tell me what temp I expect to be in and what kind of weather I plan for. Given the length I can tell you almost exactly what kind of base layer, beanie, extra calorie load , that would be just about right for whatever situation I expect to find myself in.

So if I can boil my planning down to these two decisions as starting points. Why not try and use other people's decisions as a good starting point for my own.

@Phantom Grappler is someone I would judge is a fairly conservative person. If he gave me recommendations and I told him that I was worried about my weight limit. I would assume he would probably end up just a little bit heavier than I would be and probably with a slightly larger safety margin. For food, insulation, needed repair tools.

If he told me he did it in July and with a Dutchware asym, tarp and his biggest complaint was having to tote that **** thing when he never really needed it. I might say the hell with a bug net even.

Basically I'm looking for useless information as a foundation for futile speculation. To get on with the wastefication of time I spend in indoor spination. ( It will give me something to think about when I'm sitting on my bike exercising in the garage.)

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    I suppose that it all depends upon whether you wish to conquer or convalesce on this trip.

Linger a day or more in a scenic local?

Rains for 2-weeks?

Acclimated to the highest elevations?

For a storm proof "rest-full nights" three week tour, I might take a 13-foot square tarp with carbon poles for an A-frame with doors on each end. Use tennis balls with an X-cut to insert the poles (stormy weather will not rip the tarp) and there are many rocks to use as stakes. Tarp can be in snakeskin to wrap around bike frame for storage.

If your choice is to conquer, then the 13x9 diamond will do you fine, use the rocks for pillows, and crank on.
    You, I think are a bit more concerned with safety than I am and less concerned with luxury.

Would you prefer for yourself if you had to carry the weight the extra storm protection?
    For a moderately Quick Step Along the wife's at home with the kids trip.

I personally pack my fears, and storms and cold are not often among them. Mechanicals and the lack of food are however. And not having a book to read. I will leave a mountain to go and find a book to read if I'm there for more than one day.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Recommendations for second choice.

Maybe a shakedown trip before your journey. If you are bike packing many miles per day, then weight and bulk are big factors.

You might be able to see some of your proposed gear before purchase. Maybe not.

Long distance bike packers can give good advice.

With good quality gear, you can always sell it, and get more, without losing too much of initial purchase.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 01-14-2022 at 21:19.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I understand - discussion keeps the momentum. I have a ThunderFly and MiniFly. Both are great. I have hammocks with bug nets and without. If I know there won’t be mosquitoes, I’ll still take the HUG net just in case - only takes one buzzing mosaquitoe to ruin a night’s sleep. If I don’t know or am sure there will be flying critters, I’ll take a netted hammock. If I see the weather report for the area (not a weather report for the local town) is mild to light shower, the MiniFly is fine. I’ll be dry but my dry area real estate will be miniumal. If there is any question, I’ll take the Thunderfly and if I were on a Bike I’d take the ThunderFly (or larger) so I could fit everything under the tarp.

I’ll always take a tarp. Someone once said (I think it was me), “More things fall from the sky besides rain."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I understand - discussion keeps the momentum. I have a ThunderFly and MiniFly. Both are great. I have hammocks with bug nets and without. If I know there won’t be mosquitoes, I’ll still take the HUG net just in case - only takes one buzzing mosaquitoe to ruin a night’s sleep. If I don’t know or am sure there will be flying critters, I’ll take a netted hammock. If I see the weather report for the area (not a weather report for the local town) is mild to light shower, the MiniFly is fine. I’ll be dry but my dry area real estate will be miniumal. If there is any question, I’ll take the Thunderfly and if I were on a Bike I’d take the ThunderFly (or larger) so I could fit everything under the tarp.

I’ll always take a tarp. Someone once said (I think it was me), “More things fall from the sky besides rain."
    Unless I get a dynamo my gear, - 1, is set, and dependable. I am getting a new thunderfly.

The only difference from what I take usually is having to take a canister stove instead of an alcohol.

Except for new bib shorts, and a new puffy jacket.
    I'm probably going to take pretty much the same kit I was camping in last spring fir when got below freezing and storms were fierce.

Synthetic insulation 40 top and bottom comfy rated with an insulated UQ and a bag liner. That takes me to high twenties in mid and base layers comfortably with gusty wet winds.

My nasty wet can't stay dry, but it might be 80 and sunny gear. Early April in the Ozarks kit.

Clothing chosen for cold wet weather nights 50 - 80 days.

Suture kit in first aid works for tires, two tubes. Pump, oil, rag, patch, spoke, tools, brake pads.

Prescription sunglasses double as back up eyes.

Bear bag/clothes/extra line, hygeine, power, poop, cook, medical, gear repair kits. Two medium totem cams. Tarp, stakes, bed, pillow.

Luxury

I like to shower so i take a head that fits a hydration bladder. Norelco one blade so my helmet straps don't drive me crazy. Chair/gear hammock. Kindle, Phone, camera, paperback, garmin.

Sleep/camp base, mid, puffy, rain clothes. Trail runners, head lamp.
    2 sets riding gear with shared rain gear. One riding base top. Riding shoes. Head and tail lights. Bottles, water bag.

Sun protection. Water filter. Chapstick chamois cream.

Although I could use a better recipe for sweet potato pancakes with salmon in it. Dehydrated chives leave mine lacking.

Really, unless it is an overnighter I carry the same things, just different bags and bikes. Assuming I'm not car camping of course.

I might change tarp. I will change clothes for different weather and temps. I only have hot weather down gear so I use that when appropriate. Reg UQP or colder weather TQ/UQ.

Besides that, most everything is always the same for just me. I change how much food and water I bring but use the same kit.

When I have my boy with me I use different gear. Fun educational for him. Good time to play with Dutch oven baking or getting the technique right for waving that titanium frying pan on top of your solo stove so you can actually evenly cook a pancake every time.

I play with new ways of doing things, knots, cooking, gear, mainly on quick two-day one night sudden trips. If I really like a piece of gear and it works several times I might put it in my multi day kit.

I made a couple changes to my main gear last year. That was a big deal to me. Normally I am replacing gear that had been lost or damaged in the last round of disasters.

I do like to play and experiment, I love to learn new things. I am constantly trying new ways of doing things.

But trusted gear and techniques are what I like for multiple day trips now. I tell stories of "Adventures" but avoid them for nights. I prefer to suffer in the day and be comfortable at night.

Non joking, I am moderately beat up and like a simple restful camp. Couple years ago I was **** near crippled and in constant pain. I can go out again, but if I don't rest and recover in camp I can't do anything the next day. The longer I'm out the more important it is.

No one around here will talk with me about camping or bicycles anymore.

So I just have to bother y'all.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m sure the community here can absorb a lot of camping/gear talk.

When kayaking, I have a folding “four leg” chair. If hiking, a simple tripod chair is light-ish, and straps easily to the side of your pack (or rolled in a sleeping pad if you go that route). Or just use your hammock for a chair. But I like the option of not having to sit on the ground and not having to do everything in my hammock. For example, maybe you want to sit in your tripod chair, eat your camp meal, and watch the sun go down - away from your hammock setup. Or you may prefer to have food prep and such not so close to your hammock.

Also, Comfort really counts; it shouldn’t be discounted. No matter how hard the day was, hiking or paddling, ending it in cotton jammies, with very light sleeping socks, and maybe a night cap - either the kind you wear or the kind you drink (or both) - erases the hardships of the day.

I’m a ham radio operator, chess player, and solve cryptograms for a hobby. I know all about social isolation in discussion groups

You are in good company in HammockForums.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast