El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’m sure the community here can absorb a lot of camping/gear talk.

When kayaking, I have a folding “four leg” chair. If hiking, a simple tripod chair is light-ish, and straps easily to the side of your pack (or rolled in a sleeping pad if you go that route). Or just use your hammock for a chair. But I like the option of not having to sit on the ground and not having to do everything in my hammock. For example, maybe you want to sit in your tripod chair, eat your camp meal, and watch the sun go down - away from your hammock setup. Or you may prefer to have food prep and such not so close to your hammock.

Also, Comfort really counts; it shouldn’t be discounted. No matter how hard the day was, hiking or paddling, ending it in cotton jammies, with very light sleeping socks, and maybe a night cap - either the kind you wear or the kind you drink (or both) - erases the hardships of the day.

I’m a ham radio operator, chess player, and solve cryptograms for a hobby. I know all about social isolation in discussion groups

You are in good company in HammockForums.
    Thanks.
    I take my hammock chair on any ride more than two or three hours since I got it. Great piece of kit.
    I use it for a gear hammock too. Didn't really see the need for it until I tried it.

Unless I am with the famly I tend to either cold camp or make a tiny companion fire. Either way I have been ok without a folding chair for the last few trips.

You might consider one for when you are broadcasting off a Mountain top. Kick back like a lazy boy.

I spend a fair bit of my days homeschooling my kids. 6-4-1.75
    Cycling, tying ropes, watching people boil water, reading SciFi or studying something is how I fill the rest of the average day. Generally more than one at a time.

Sometimes I even work a bit. I am a systems and business consultant.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I LOVED my OES Macat Standard, one of the smaller tarps out there. Over the years of owning it, I learnt how to pitch it and where to pitch it, and it covered me in the worst of the worst storms (think hanging sideways in the wind), and I stayed dry.

I just rode my bike across Canada, and had an OES Macat Standard during a good rainstorm and was quite fine, even in porch mode. Unfortunately, I lost my tarp, along with my Dutch bling, due to inexperience in strapping things to a bike (more of a bush wanderer than a biker), and had to buy a tarp on the fly (no pun intended). I ended up with a 9 x 10 tarp from MEC, and used it as an asym. It's heavy and bright yellow, and very long (didn't fit between some trees so well, not like my Macat), and tended to sag. Using it as an a-frame worked a couple times in between closer trees, if I didn't hang my hammock correctly.

I'm about to replace my tarp, and the only thing I found during my trip was, it would have been nice to have at least one door(ish) thing, for the times when I was at an actual campground, not for the weather. This has lead me to consider the Minifly(11ft). Although longer than the Macat Standard by a foot, I think it should fit better than the asym tarp contraption I made it across most of the country with 76 out of the 80 days I was out.

I'll be heading out again in a few weeks, so I have some decisions to make.

Hope this helped!

IMG_2405.jpg
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 04-16-2022 at 20:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12