Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Bridge Hammock - single or double layer

I know there's been a recent post about double layer for GE hammocks. But I'm considering trying a bridge hammock and am wondering whether to get a single or double layer. I've read through a bunch of older posts and it seems like some folks like using a pad to reduce shoulder squeeze. Other than that I don't see where I might need a double layer since I plan to us a UQ and I'm 5'10" (well maybe 5'9" these days) 170 lbs so a single layer is fine as far as weight limit. My question would be for anyone with a bridge hammock, if you have a single layer, do you wish you had gotten a double layer for the pad, and if you have a double layer, do you actually use it for a pad?

I have a double layer and tried a blue pad between the layers instead of using an underquilt. It worked very well.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started with a double layer - which I still have - but never had occasion, when camping, to use a pad. I’d try it out at home when I’d purposely put on a UQ too light for the temperatures. I’m 5’6” and 180 lb with wide shoulders. The RR is snug but I don’t feel squeezed; more like embraced. I bought a SL RR last year and it is stretchier. Not bad, just different. And of course less weight and less bulk.

The Lynx fits so well, my only criterial would be if you like a firm or softer lie. The shoulder squeeze is not an issue for me. If you had to take the RR to ground, a pad under (not inside) the RR will not be moving around.

Having used both - unless you have a real preference for soft vs firm - I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. If you give points for less weight and bulk, that’s different. I mostly kayak camp so those are non-issues for me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks cougarmeat and DrPhun. I mostly bike camp so don't worry too much about a few extra ounces if it makes me more comfortable. I think my shoulder width is pretty average so shoulder squeeze may not be a big issue. In GE hammocks I generally prefer the lay in my single layer hammocks.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I got a double layer Ridgerunner and my preference is to always use mine with my nemo tensor insulated regular wide pad. When I got my RR I bought a 20 degree Lynx UQ and thought I would just be using that going forward. What I discovered over the next year was that I just found it more comfortable with the pad, giving it that extra structure. I have double up a pad and the lynx on colder nights but if I am taking one or the other it is the pad. Also gives me a little more peace of mind that if I ever have to go to ground I will be well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by unionmanbirch View Post
    My question would be for anyone with a bridge hammock, if you have a single layer, do you wish you had gotten a double layer for the pad, and if you have a double layer, do you actually use it for a pad?
    My wife has a double layer Ridge Runner and prefers it as is. She likes the firmer feel of the double and uses it with a pad, though she doesn't camp in particularly cold temperatures. I have a single layer bridge and usually use it with an underquilt, though I have supplemented with a pad in sub-freezing temps from time to time. To try and answer your original question, my preference is for a single layer used with an underquilt. My reasoning is that I can still use a pad if need be, but I like the comfort/stretch/feel of the single layer. If my intent was to use a pad 100 percent of the time I'd get the double layer because it is easier, I think, to use a pad between layers. But for me a bridge hammock is an occasional use item. Normally I'm in a gathered end hammock.

Bottom line: if using a pad a lot, double layer; if using a pad only occasionally, single layer.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I’m always amazed at how much of a personal preference it truly is as far as using a pad or not. I Have both and was really hoping to like using my thermarest xtherm in the dual layer but for me I just don’t like the feel. Turns out the single layer is best for me. Saves weight and and I believe like 30 bucks. If you’re not sure I would recommend getting the dual layer. If you really wanted to save some money, if you go under blem hammocks on the Warbonnet site they have first quality, overproduced, single layer blue 30d netted ridge runners for $130! Can’t beat that!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    TQ-GoLite UQ-Loco
    I have a single layer and have always been concerned by the stretch. I get gaps on the sides above the under quilt that I have to be careful with, when I lay on my back my arms are not covered by the UQ and if the TQ moves a little my arms get cold quickly. I am 5'5" and 190lb. I have learned to sleep on my side most of the time.

I wish almost every time that I had a double layer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Double layer Ridgerunner for me. I like the feel and added weight capability as I'm around 200lbs.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a double layer would be more versatile if I decide I want to use a pad, plus I'm not terribly concerned about the few extra ounces. That single layer Warbonnet Kmazuro pointed out is at a very tempting price though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast