SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

Lightweight Hammock Material

I'm considering ordering a second hiking hammock made out of either the mtn 1.2 XL material or Dutch's Hexon 1.2. I don't need/want a hammock wider than 60", so I would trim the mtn XL to save weight on finished width. Does anyone have experience using the newer Hexon 1.2? Any thoughts as to comfort/feel/stretch as compared to the mtn 1.2 XL? My weight usually ranges between 185 - 190lbs, so either appear to be rated within my specs. I'm aiming for a final hammock weight w/o suspension of sub 16 oz. hence narrowing in on these two materials. I've searched past threads here but unfortunately not much in the way of feedback on the Hexon 1.2.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a hammock chair of the Cloud .71.
    It's permanently up in my office right now.
    I take it on bike rides.
    Over the summer I had it up and down in my yard several times a week as well.

I have several hundred deployments and lord only knows how many hours swinging, bouncing, napping, actually sitting, and child rocking in it.

I find it a comfortable fabric.

I can't tell any wear on the fabric and haven't popped a single stitch.

If you're looking for some lightweight fabric give it a thought. I'm intending to buy chameleon out of it with a bug net for hot weather camping this year.
    *edit spell checked again.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks for the suggestion. It’s an interesting fabric for sure but I’d be concerned it would prove too fragile for my weight and intended use. I hike/camp in some pretty remote locations so while lightweight is important to me, it’s secondary to durability/reliability.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I wouldn't risk using Cloud 71 fabric hammock for hiking in remote locations, but Monolite 1.0oz fabric is really great choice.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I'm considering ordering a second hiking hammock made out of either the mtn 1.2 XL material or Dutch's Hexon 1.2. I don't need/want a hammock wider than 60", so I would trim the mtn XL to save weight on finished width. Does anyone have experience using the newer Hexon 1.2? Any thoughts as to comfort/feel/stretch as compared to the mtn 1.2 XL? My weight usually ranges between 185 - 190lbs, so either appear to be rated within my specs. I'm aiming for a final hammock weight w/o suspension of sub 16 oz. hence narrowing in on these two materials. I've searched past threads here but unfortunately not much in the way of feedback on the Hexon 1.2.
    I’ve worked with Hexon 1.0 and found it very slippery. I haven’t worked with Hexon 1.2, but I have worked with HyperD 1.2 and it was much easier to work and make a rolled hem as compared with Hexon 1.9.

I’m also a newbie and don’t have much experience. I’ve made 3 hammocks now, and Hexon 1.6 was the easiest to work. HyperD 1.2 was the next easiest - I’d suspect Hexon 1.2 to be similar to HyperD 1.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by AVatorL View Post
    I wouldn't risk using Cloud 71 fabric hammock for hiking in remote locations, but Monolite 1.0oz fabric is really great choice.
    Copy that! I tried warning a buddy about that fabric(Cloud 71) prior to our last section hike.... He ended up in an ENO by trip's end after a catastrophic failure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AVatorL View Post
    I've worked with HyperD 1.0 and it's super comfy; I've been interested in trying the Monolite. But I've read too many horror stories of abject failure in the Cloud 71 for me to risk lifelong back issues just to save half an ounce...we're talking total blowouts with little to no warning or sign of wear. My thoughts are it should have a warning if it's going to be used in a hammock.

It's no doubt a cool concept for a fabric but I think it's SUL for anything related to load bearing use. Even 1.0 Monolite or HyperD I'd still be super cautious and hang low or not pack it on longer hikes. Don't take chances with your body, guys!

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Man I was relaxing in my hammock chair earlier today and feeling so good I left a review and recommended it to other people.

I've never talked to anyone else that had trouble with one. Now I'm feeling bad I'm worried I might get someone hurt because I had a good time with it.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Anecdotal info here, but I’ve had my 11’ Dutch netless in Cloud 71 out about 14 or so trips, much of these before reports of catastrophic failure emerged. I’ve taken care of it, had no clothing with external zippers, and weigh 170ish lbs. No issues so far, and I’ll continue to take it on trips, but probably only short overnighters going forward.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    So I take it from reading these comments that at user weights closer to the 200lb stated limit (i.e. 180-190lbs), best to stay away from Cloud 71, Monolite 1.0, HyperD 1.0, and stick to MTN 1.2 or a material like Hexon 1.2 if looking for some weight savings? Any other users of Hexon 1.2 that can comment on its support/stretch/feel as compared to some of the more popular materials like Hexon 1.6 or HyperD 1.6?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast