Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing

Dyneema Pack Liner with One Way Valve?

I have a roll top Dyneema dry bag and really like it due to how dry it keeps my down jacket, hood, and booties. I want to extend the same protection to my sleep system. I found two down side with the roll top bags, one is that it traps a ton of air and the seconded is the hook and loop at the top of the bag can mess up lighter denier fabrics. I want to make a pack liner that I can just squeeze the air out quickly and still block out water. I figure if I get a one way air valve and place it near the bottom this will solve my first world problem of too much air in my pack liner. My question is, what would be the best way to install a one way air valve on to Dyneema. Is there a glue that would work on the fabric and the valve and keep it water proof? I have seen glues for Dyneema to Dyneema, but not any information on how that glue will react to other plastics. I guess I should also ask if it is even reasonable to do such a thing, too.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,
    Redrum

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Redrum, this is how Sea-To-Summit does it with their dry bags. The cylinder and roll top of the bag is made of waterproof material. The end of the bag is made of eVent (a Gore-Tex competitor). These are “compression” bags so they have straps to shrink them down. But the idea is to mostly have a water proof covering with a panel of waterproof/breathable material like some variant of Gore-Tex. That gives you your one way valve. I use those bags for my down gear in my kayak - where the “wet factor” could be much greater than rain getting in your pack; but about the same if you slip crossing a stream.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have a roll top Dyneema dry bag and really like it due to how dry it keeps my down jacket, hood, and booties. I want to extend the same protection to my sleep system. I found two down side with the roll top bags, one is that it traps a ton of air and the seconded is the hook and loop at the top of the bag can mess up lighter denier fabrics. I want to make a pack liner that I can just squeeze the air out quickly and still block out water. I figure if I get a one way air valve and place it near the bottom this will solve my first world problem of too much air in my pack liner. My question is, what would be the best way to install a one way air valve on to Dyneema. Is there a glue that would work on the fabric and the valve and keep it water proof? I have seen glues for Dyneema to Dyneema, but not any information on how that glue will react to other plastics. I guess I should also ask if it is even reasonable to do such a thing, too.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,
    Redrum
    This can be solved easily with rolling technique.

Put the item(s) in the bag and—without rolling the top at all—smoosh the contents down as small as possible, and flatten the top of the bag to expel most of the remaining air. Then start rolling the top while using your fingers to keep a little pressure on the smooshed contents. I've been doing this for ages with Zpacks DCF bags and it is not hard to do. The type of hook-n-loop material they use has never snagged on any quilt I've ever put in it, down to 7D denier.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I don’t think you need a valve so much as practice rolling and expelling the air. I have the Sea to Summit e-vent bags and plenty of regular stuff sacks and dry bags including old Seal Line bags meant to withstand submersion. I’d suggest practicing different rolling and compression techniques like cmoulder described; it’s not that hard to get the air out and compress things down and away from the roll top. There’s a glue for everything, but I think adding a valve is uncecessary. Another way to look at this is: If there was a reason to build a bag like this, some company would be doing it and charging an arm and a leg for the convenience!

The only caveat I’d add is to (maybe) not go hog-wild compressing something you need to loft up quickly to keep you warm. I have some pretty “lightweight” quilts that can be compressed down to the size of a softball but I usually don’t squeeze the crap out of them because I want them to loft up when I take them out of the sack. Maybe I’m being too cautious. But I’ve never had an issue with them getting caught on the roll top fasteners.

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    I think the main point was lost in all my words. I would like to know what would be the best, most waterproofed seal between Dyneema and another type of plastic. I have no issue with rolling the bag and don't really jam my dry bag full and smash it down. My issue is not operator error. Like I had said, I am just trying to solve first world problems. I do like that e-vent dry bag, that is pretty cool. I am also guessing I need to start making one way valve kind of dry bags and start selling them, from what I am hearing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good advice not to overcompress... With a zpacks medium sack I generally give it about 3-4 folds when rolling it.

And I typically only use a stuff sack with frameless packs, preferring instead to skip the stuff sack with framed packs and stuff the quilt itself directly into the bottom of the pack.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I think the main point was lost in all my words. I would like to know what would be the best, most waterproofed seal between Dyneema and another type of plastic. I have no issue with rolling the bag and don't really jam my dry bag full and smash it down. My issue is not operator error. Like I had said, I am just trying to solve first world problems. I do like that e-vent dry bag, that is pretty cool. I am also guessing I need to start making one way valve kind of dry bags and start selling them, from what I am hearing.
    IMHO this is overthinking the problem. People have been using trash compactor bags and Nylofume bags for the job for a long time.

Also, waterproofness is overrated. When you experience wall-to-wall rain for a few days in a row and/or are exposed to long periods of fog, everything is going to be damp, or *very* damp, anyway and putting stuff into a dry bag isn't going to help at all. It is a myth that everything can be kept dry in such conditions.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Have a look here for something on adhesives with DCF.

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    thank you but the link didn't take me there.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    thank you but the link didn't take me there.
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/72202/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast