Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    Thanks, that helps a lot. I also changed my search to DCF rather than Dyneema and that has seem to help bring in more results.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You can always go with a DCF pack and skip the pack liner

Takes a few trips in the rain to build confidence but the Bonefire Raven is a dry bird. I still carry a green garbage sack in the very bottom of my pack but it's mostly an afterthought.

The nice thing about Hammock UL is after making camp you don't have a lot left inside the pack body if any at all. The pack hangs nicely from the hammock suspension well under the tarp and becomes a bit of a wind break. Hang it from the end you expect to take weather. If that doesn't pan out, very easy to switch ends with it. All my clothes, gloves, insulated jacket go in one of Dream Hammocks ridgeline storage sacks suspended from the SRL above my head. Used with prussiks it can be pushed completely out of the way or stretched out to give a little more coverage there too. Learning and tuning never really stops
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    I am new to making gear. Just made my first hammock the other day, I'm not read to make a backpack yet. I feel I would spend more money in mess ups that I am willing to spend. This is as Gucci as I can get on the cheap and with my skills. "If it's raining, we ain't training" never flew well from my former line of work and I have been hitting the trails during some downpours. Everything stays dry during my trips and I am the only thing that really gets wetted out at some points. I do have to agree that learning never stops and I am trying to learn me bonding of DCF to other plastics. I will give the Locktite U09FL a try and hope to not cry. It seems like the best option is to put a deflator valve in. Someone said I was overthinking, I am thinking that they are right. A one way valve is overthinking it, plus its hard to find a near flat one way valve. That's how I can to the option of the deflator valve, basically a hole you can plug after you roll all the air out of the liner.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's how I can to the option of the deflator valve, basically a hole you can plug after you roll all the air out of the liner.

When using the roll-top DCF bags, after you scrunch down the contents and fold/secure the buckles the item(s) will expand again in a few minutes because it's not a 100% hermetic seal. So at least with the typical DCF roll-top bag the one-way valve wouldn't help. And that's okay—good, actually—because it doesn't over-compress the items and it fills up the bottom of the pack without leaving a lot of wasted voids.

As Rolloff mentioned, I normally don't use stuff sacks at all and just stuff the quilts directly into the bottom of my pack, letting the weight of contents above compress them. However, with frameless packs I use a roll-top compression bag for my quilts so that the pack itself does not form a sausage shape which makes it fit poorly against my back. Any extra clothing items go into one of those plastic bags that Amazon uses to ship soft goods.

Here is a related thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/153828-Why-You-Need-a-Vacuum-Bag?highlight=vacuum+bags+storage

Personally, I do not find all these extraordinary measures necessary or effective.

"If it's raining, we ain't training" never flew well from my former line of work and I have been hitting the trails during some downpours. Everything stays dry during my trips and I am the only thing that really gets wetted out at some points.
    It all comes down to relative humidity (RH) and time. If RH is high and you stay out long enough, stuff will get damp... one night of heavy fog can wet out everything in your kit.

These photos are from the morning after one night of moderate fog. Everything was soaked, and the moisture on the DCF tarp came from fog alone; it did not rain.

hammock_harriman_fog_01.jpg hammock_harriman_fog_tarp_02.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    When using the roll-top DCF bags, after you scrunch down the contents and fold/secure the buckles the item(s) will expand again in a few minutes because it's not a 100% hermetic seal. So at least with the typical DCF roll-top bag the one-way valve wouldn't help. And that's okay—good, actually—because it doesn't over-compress the items and it fills up the bottom of the pack without leaving a lot of wasted voids.

[/COLOR]As Rolloff mentioned, I normally don't use stuff sacks at all and just stuff the quilts directly into the bottom of my pack, letting the weight of contents above compress them. However, with frameless packs I use a roll-top compression bag for my quilts so that the pack itself does not form a sausage shape which makes it fit poorly against my back. Any extra clothing items go into one of those plastic bags that Amazon uses to ship soft goods.

Here is a related thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/153828-Why-You-Need-a-Vacuum-Bag?highlight=vacuum+bags+storage

Personally, I do not find all these extraordinary measures necessary or effective.

It all comes down to relative humidity (RH) and time. If RH is high and you stay out long enough, stuff will get damp... one night of heavy fog can wet out everything in your kit.

These photos are from the morning after one night of moderate fog. Everything was soaked, and the moisture on the DCF tarp came from fog alone; it did not rain.

hammock_harriman_fog_01.jpg hammock_harriman_fog_tarp_02.jpg
    Fog and all. Looks like a nearly perfect hang there. Those trees couldn't have been planted any better!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Ripstop by the roll has DCF dry bag kits that are reasonably priced and include all the components if you want to experiment with gluing in a valve before spending the money on a pack liner sized piece of DCF.
    You could probably get a one-way valve if you cannibalized a cheap vacuum storage bag.I used to have a dry bag with this type of valve in the corner, similar to what is used on many self-inflating pads and pillows, but I can’t seem to find them on their own easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    I am waiting on a part from a kite supplier, I am going with a deflater valve. It will be water tight and easy to work. I just hope that the adhesive will work. I talked to the supplier and they said that the adhesive work with PU coated things in kites and I found out that the outer layers on DCF are a PU coated laminate. I thought about a pool float kind of valve, but those only allow you to blow in and then squeeze the valve to let it out. I would have to hold the valve as the air starts to billow up. The deflater valve will allow me to use both hands to roll the bag down and let the air come out the bottom, then I can cork it back up after if clip the roll closed. I will post pics when I figure the valve out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've used 3-M VHB Adhesive Transfer Tape to put a regular Zip-Loc bag closure (polyethylene?) on a Dyneema (back then it was called cuben fiber, and the surfaces were polyester) stuff sack. It worked okay. I don't suggest using Zip-Locks like this, but the glued connection, polyethylene to polyester, remained strong. I'd guess that any adhesive sold for Dyneema would work for the one way valve attachment.
    ------
    I just re-read your post, and if the outer layers of the current DCF are "PU coated laminate", my information may be out of date. The old "cuben fiber" was high molecular weight polyethelene fibers (what's now referred to as "Dyneema", I think) sandwiched between thin layers of polyester under heat and pressure.
    Last edited by WV; 01-10-2022 at 11:00.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sea-to-Summit made a dry bag with a rubberized plug/seal near the bottom. You’d stuff in your compressible gear and roll the lid/squash the down down. Then push in the plug at the bottom. Hasn’t failed yet (10+ years). At the risk of heresy in a DIY forum, it sounds like what you are trying to make has already been done and tested. For me, DIY is fine for non-critical projects. But for mission critical - like keeping my gear dry if I should slip crossing a stream (more likely- flip my kayak) - I’ll go with a tested product. Then again, a large plastic sack (can liner), with a tightly rolled top held with some wraps of cord, would probably work too.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    Thank you all for the info and all. Using to older name and all the other name DCF goes by has help a ton. I even found out that I should be using a sharp and thin needles to sew due to it making smaller holes making it harder for water to get in.

I did get my kit air dump valve in today, but I am unsatisfied with how difficult the valve is to open and close. It's about half an inch tall and it has two ridges on the male part. They make a real nice fit when seated into the female part, but it's too tight. I normally only open my current pack liner once a day, that's at night when I set up, then in the morning, I stuff my sleep system into the liner and go. I don't think that the tightness of the valve would damage the DCF with the limited use it will get, but like I said, I am unsatisfied with the valve. fixmykite.com is the place I picked up the dump valve patch from, they have a ton of cool stuff but I don't think it will do for what I want to do.

As I stat and wondered what the next type valve I would need to try, that is not a proprietary valve on a high priced item, I remembered the Trekology pillow I got for a ground dwelling friend. It has a pretty flat lay and the valve body is still pretty light. The valve may work better with it's push bottom style. Now I will look like I am deflating a DCF sleeping pad or hug pillow. Anyway, I ordered another one of those pillows so I can salvage the valve in hopes of solving my first world problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12