Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Video: Hot Tenting, Maiden DIY Sink Stove Test

My DIY sink wood stove was a huge success after a test at home, but I needed to get it out and into the hot tent for several days to be sure. Would it fit my new stove jack location? Will it heat the tent efficiently? Will it overheat, melt down and take me out faster than Rona? Let's have a lookie:

I burned JUST shy of 4 days nonstop...95 hours to be exact. OK so I was a little off in the video; it got down to 33° not 40° at the cold point in the middle of the night. And that was the 9° night! Still pretty good after a nice 5 hours of sleep. TON of coals still. Stoke. Back to sleep. I'm just used to splitting wood small for my small stoves. This time I obviously went bigger, but I should have went bigger yet with some large round logs as all-night burners. I'm sure I can get even a longer burn. I wasn't even planning on burning all night on this trip!

I don't cheat by hanging the thermometer; yes of course heat rises. But I'm hammocking and sitting in a chair away from the stove at 16", so I place the thermometer on the other side about 14" off the ground. Outside temps were mostly hovering 24-29° the first two days then down to 9° with highs of about 15-17°. I was comfortably keeping the tent between 68-85° without much work.

The toboggan handled really well. I lost some space due to the non-folding stove obviously, so I used a smaller duffel down low with the tank on top half-loaded. I am going to sew my own low-profile tank just to keep it a bit more sleek.

The wide firebox burns a little slower and more evenly. The coals can be spread to fit more wood, yet still stacked plenty high. Nice size cooking surface. The heat-powered fan...what an amazing difference that makes!!! A+++ would burn again!

Last edited by OneClick; 01-07-2022 at 08:08.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Great job, that stove looks amazing! And the best part is, you didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning- which is always a huge plus.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Great job, that stove looks amazing! And the best part is, you didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning- which is always a huge plus.
    Yes, I was surprised since someone on another forum seemed to think I made it incorrectly...it's a DIY stove from a frigging sink LOL!!! Don't expect top notch from a hillbilly from Indiana with average tools and DIY skills.

The Smokehouse has plenty of flow for fresh air when you consider the two peak vents, gap along the bottom, and any opening you have between the zippers on both ends for the hammock suspension.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Yes, I was surprised since someone on another forum seemed to think I made it incorrectly...it's a DIY stove from a frigging sink LOL!!! Don't expect top notch from a hillbilly from Indiana with average tools and DIY skills.

The Smokehouse has plenty of flow for fresh air when you consider the two peak vents, gap along the bottom, and any opening you have between the zippers on both ends for the hammock suspension.
    Well, it's a wood stove- it's not exactly rocket science, and people have been making them for thousands of years. As long as you have a heat source, oxygen flow, and proper venting, it's pretty hard to make one "incorrectly." Yours actually seems more functional to me- due to its size. Much better than the small, flimsy titanium stoves for cooking and accommodating larger logs.

Anyone who is hot-tenting isn't going UL anyway. And pulling a pulk or toboggan is the best way to go if there's snow on on the ground. So accommodating a larger/heavier stove really isn't much of an issue.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Right on... awesome performance from your DIY sink stove. Great in the field testing effort too & looks like a fairly comfy outing. Not to mention showcasing your culinary skills & outback food presentation with the split log cheese, sausage & cracker tray!

I noticed the stove door to seems to be crooked. JK

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 01-04-2022 at 11:55.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I noticed the stove door to seems to be crooked. JK
    Dang it! Yes, the first one was straight and this one (with the bend edges for reinforcement) isn't. Same hinge, so I must have just drilled the holes slightly off. But it's "leaning" up on the right side instead of down, so that's a good thing if it sags. But doesn't look like it will.

That's what I like about this design though; completely modular. No rivets. I can undo everything with a screwdriver, even in the field. I can even take the old door with no window, just in case I ever break that. A flat piece of metal that takes up no space. Something I might as well do next time.

OneClick,

Really, really nice setup. That stove is genius.

Did you make the hammock tent or buy it? If bought where'd you get it. Thank you in advance.

Happy New Year.

Bob

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    OneClick,

Really, really nice setup. That stove is genius.

Did you make the hammock tent or buy it? If bought where'd you get it. Thank you in advance.

Happy New Year.

Bob
    Thanks! It's a Smokehouse Outfitter. I have materials to make my own...sitting on my living room floor. Gotta get motivated to get started on that sometime.

One Click.

Thanks for the info.

Re: the materials, are going to use an industrial sewing machine to put it together?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    One Click.

Thanks for the info.

Re: the materials, are going to use an industrial sewing machine to put it together?
    No I use a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118 for all my projects. Some people go really light, like 1.6oz you would use on a tarp. But I like something more substantial for the "rough" winter use. It's not for backpacking anyway so the weight/bulk doesn't matter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast