Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

need opinion on Superior Hammock

I have a 11' long 68" wide hammock from Dutch I really like. Hence a great diagonal and flat lay. (not a big guy) Im concerned the more narrow Superior Hammock might be a little too constrictive for me. (58" X 11') Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 01-02-2022 at 09:32.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm not all that big either, just about 5'6". I also don't own a Superior, but I do sleep comfortably in a 10.5' DH Freebird every night and my Sheltowee Whisper which is my goto in my UL set-up, is only 10' but ASYM.

I don't have trouble getting a good diagonal lay in the narrower shorter hammocks but everyone isn't the same, and can have different expectations. I find the reduction in width gets rid of any excess material. which eliminates the need for knotty mods and such to keep it out of my face. It opens up the view from the hammock if those things mean anything to you.

The shorter length also allows for more coverage when you do hunker down using an UQP. They are not made to cover the entire length of an 11' hammock, but they do, when needed, on both the DH and Whipser.

For the price points and weight penalties involved, Tarp Doors vs UQP are almost a total push. Doors don't seem to be as effective for me against undersplash or sideways, shifting wind. I simply get more coverage from my UQP using a shorter hammock.

If you are on the short side and can get away with it, my vote is shorter/lighter whenever possible. Just for the record the 10' Sheltowee is the better lay than any hammock I own or have owned. I would expect Superior gear to be pretty much the same. Both are certainly the high-end in the tech curve atm. My feelings now on the integrated insulation kits is that they always have been.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I do not feel constricted in my SG hammocks. Both 10 footers. I like the open sides and view but lay very comfortably. Up to getting the two 10 footers I have been using 11' hammocks.
    Though I can't say how you would feel in one as it is a subjective subject.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    Lite AF
    Insulation
    CRO30 TP CRO20 UQ
    Suspension
    SG Suspension
    I felt a little constrictive when I got mine but I am 6'3 so I exchanged mine for a 12ft and currently waiting for its arrival.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    well, Im a tad shy of 6' and pushin 185/190....so Ive got the 11 footer ordered. Hope that works... thanks all

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    5'10". I camp comfortably with a 11 footer, and have a 9ft brazilian at home for sleeping that works just fine with neck and leg pillows. It's all about the angle of the hangle.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I bought a 10' Superior with the integrated UQ for the following three reasons:
    1. I already had a Warbonnet 10' sock to put it in.
    2. I have always wanted to try an integrated UQ hammock to reduce the UQ suspension fiddle factor.
    3. There was an introductory sale offer going on that also allowed me to customize it with high-end materials to make it lighter.

I am 5'9" and 135 lbs so a 10' hammock suits me fine. I whipped the ends to make it more like a Warbonnet Black Bird and also to make it easier to add my wookie in really cold weather.

I used it several times this summer and found it quite comfortable with no calf ridge issues. Having an whoopie sling type RL lets you adjust the sag and thus reduce calf ridge. However I will admit I did have my inflatable pad inside my center zip bag on two of those hangs. All in all I find it a good addition to my quiver of hammocks. Also, I might add that my 11' warbonnet wookie fits just fine on this 10 footer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    well, Im a tad shy of 6' and pushin 185/190....so Ive got the 11 footer ordered. Hope that works... thanks all
    I am 6'1" and up and down between 205 and 210 lbs recently ( all time max 226). I have all the room I could ever use in my 11 ft SHIH. I don't know how much diagonal I am able to get, but it matters not to me as I am able to be diagonal enough to avoid knee extension or calf ridge. The only purpose of diagonal lay IMO is to avoid those 2 things, and/or to allow side sleeping without side torque. Which I can do. Since one of my long time favs has been my 10 ft Claytor No Net(particularly with the revered- by me- Speer Pea Pod), I have wanted to try one of the SG 10 footers. But I was in a hurry and this was the last of the old models which they had on sale, so I went with the 11 footer. I do wonder, though, if the 10 footer would do at least as well.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by kibbosh View Post
    I felt a little constrictive when I got mine but I am 6'3 so I exchanged mine for a 12ft and currently waiting for its arrival.
    Yeah I’m hopeful the 12’ will do the trick for me too (6’4”— previously found 58” wide 11’ hammocks just a tad too narrow for me.)

Mine shipped this week— looking forward to trying it!

• + New Posts