Tarp
    DIY 11'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Salutations from a paraglider, France

Hi

I'm William. I stay nearby Toulon, south east of France, 10km from Mediterranean sea.

I'm 45. I've been paragliding since 2010, and spend most of my free time flying with friends. We are mainly into hike and fly, and, even if I'm not good in cross-country flight, I plan to go for bivouac trips with my paraglider.

I have thus stitched my own 11' ultralight hammock (480g with integrated bugnet, carriyng bag, suspensions, ridgeline - standing in a 12cm diameter and 20cm length bag - no fully compressed) made from Hexon 1.2 and noseeum, and I'm in progress for stitching a 11' cat cut tarp from Xenon Sil 1.1, and a full-size underquilt.
    The underquilt will be Climashield, as I'm a vegetarian and quite concerned about animal wellfare (I couldn't stand Peta video about down business). I guess it will be heavier and bulkier but it's ok. I plan less than 1 kg with 167g/m2 Climashield, 10D fabric and spandex conical suspensions. My concern is more about compression as I need to carry all this stuff in my backpack, together with the glider and harness (which are light but still take some space)

This set may follow me from April till October in the French Alps, where I can expect temperatures around 0°C during nigh time. If the underquilt is not sufficient, I will use the paraglider as another bottom layer.

I also do kitesurfing and love spending time in my garden, where I try to grow fruit trees (all kind, with a special preference for cold-resistant citrus / feijoas / old varieties of vines), and some veggies. I'm not a pro permaculturist, but I tend to apply Molisson principles as much as I can, and do my veggie garden with no soil work and almost no input except organic and local manure.

I have already taken a lot of information from the forum and would like to thank all of you for this huge and impressive database, and I hope to go on learning from you.

Regards

William

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome aboard.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF! How long have you been hanging from trees as compared to the clouds?

Also - I had never heard of feijoas before so I looked it up. Sounds delicious..."It is popular in New Zealand to stew them in a pot with sugar and serve hot with vanilla ice cream in the wintertime."
    The game is the best teacher.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, William.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DIY 11' with bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY 11'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    Welcome to HF! How long have you been hanging from trees as compared to the clouds?

Also - I had never heard of feijoas before so I looked it up. Sounds delicious..."It is popular in New Zealand to stew them in a pot with sugar and serve hot with vanilla ice cream in the wintertime."
    Hi

I have just few experiences of sleeping in hammock...so I would say that I spent much more time in the air under my glider than on the trees hanging in my hammock

Feijoas are just delicious, I discovered this fruit in NZ during a trip and immediately planned to have at home. It is originally from Brazil if I'm not mistaken, but kiwis love them and sell them on the side of the roads during season. The main issue and the reason why it is not very popular wolrdwide is mainly because it cannot be kept long and doesn't stand transport very well. It is a frit you need to consume on the spot, can be kept only 2 days max once picked from the tree. Tres can be planted in tempered areas ans stand for cold. So if you have some free space in thte garden, I highly recommend you plant one. Gemini (not to be confused with the underquilt system I found on this forum) and Mammoth are quite famous

I hope my english won't frighten you, as I'm a typical french guy, so not extra skilled for foreign languages.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from Arkansas. I fly Powered Paragliders since about 05. Very fun sport. You'll enjoy hammocking.

• + New Posts