Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Not that I know much but in general, overstuff will prevent the down from migrating as much, add a marginal difference in warmth, and I recently learned apparently adds life to the quilt since as down ages it loses it's ability to do what it does. Overstuff helps with all these things.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    --"Allow the quilt to maintain its temperature rating when dirt and oils between washings or dampness reduce loft--"
    So my question would be, after so many proper washings, can original loft ever be restored?
    The first two quilts I purchased in 2005 still work great. I wash them either once a year or after a muddy or dusty extended trip.

The key is to wash them correctly which includes using a down specific cleaner in a front load washer. It is also important to removed and regular detergent or fabric softener from the dispenser tray. Regular detergents and fabric softeners leave residues behind that reduces downs ability to loft.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    We have tested quilts without any overstuff and they will keep you warm to the rated temp but you have to be more diligent in getting the down evenly distributed and giving it a good shaking every time you get in and out of the hammock.

In the other direction, we tested more overstuff and saw no difference over 25%-30% overstuff until around 40% where quilts drastically lost performance. My thought is it was because there was too much down it was compressed and not allowing enough loft.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions.
    This is FANTASTIC information! Seriously some of the best info about overstuff I've ever read.

I got two quilts on order yet from LocoLibre but my next one will be a JacksRBetter!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I prefer 3-4 oz of overstuff in my quilts for two reasons. As has been mentioned several times, the down doesn't move as much. With my standard fill quilts, I have to be way more careful to distribute the down - preferably before every use. And the more you use a quilt, the worse this problem gets. I have found that all my down gear loses down constantly. I can see tiny down feathers on my dark woolen sweaters when I wear my down vests or jackets. I also find plenty of small down feathers in my hammock and in my UQP. My 11 year old overstuffed 25° Western Mountaineering sleeping bag that has seen probably more than 3,000 nights of use now looks like a 40° sleeping bag. I will have to have it refilled if I want to go on using it much longer. So overfill gives me a longer time period where the quilt functions in the original temperature range.

From my understanding baffle height has more to do with temp rating. I think that overstuff prevents the down from shifting as much which can increase the warmth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12