Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Calf ridge increase during breaking in WBBB...

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird that I hang permanently. I hung this replacement a few months ago and I've noticed that as time progresses, the calf ridge is getting more pronounced.

I'm a bit confused, because I thought that calf ridge is caused by an over-tight hang with not enough dip. Why would the calf ridge do this as it's getting worn in? Has me second guessing myself on how to readjust it.

Just a note: I'm using Warbonnet's buckle cinch straps. Also- if it even needs said- there was no calf ridge when it was first hung.

Thank you for any responses.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Im thinking you may need to readjust the length of your hammock ridgeline. I actually cut my ridgeline and added more cord to each end so I could readjust it as need. I know its a crude fix but I found it made a great difference in comfort.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm going to second crawldaddy, try lengthening your Ridgeline slightly to account for the hammock body stretching a hair.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Did you switch to a single layer BB or a lighter fabric? The calf ridge is basically caused by the heavier torso, and the more stretchy the fabric is, the more pronounced it gets. It also depends on how diagonal you lie in the hammock. While the ridge is always there, you only notice it when the pressure can not be distributed to a sufficiently large body surface, i.e. if it runs under your knees and/or calves. If you can lie either more inline (so that the ridge starts under tighs) or more diagonal (so that the ridge stays under your tighs), the ridge shouldn't be a problem anymore. If neither is possible, try a small pillow (e.g. a stuff sack filled with something soft) under your calves. This is what I do because it's the easiest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Did you switch to a single layer BB or a lighter fabric? The calf ridge is basically caused by the heavier torso, and the more stretchy the fabric is, the more pronounced it gets. It also depends on how diagonal you lie in the hammock. While the ridge is always there, you only notice it when the pressure can not be distributed to a sufficiently large body surface, i.e. if it runs under your knees and/or calves. If you can lie either more inline (so that the ridge starts under tighs) or more diagonal (so that the ridge stays under your tighs), the ridge shouldn't be a problem anymore. If neither is possible, try a small pillow (e.g. a stuff sack filled with something soft) under your calves. This is what I do because it's the easiest solution.
    Nope. It's a double 1.7 WBBB. I was more looking for information regarding adjustments up or down, and why it would START with no calf ridge, but develope one later. I had thought that if it WAS stretching, it would kinda work like boots where the kinks work themselves out.

This is my forth hammock, so I'm fairly okay in regards to knowing how to hang and lie in it. I'm just baffled by this development with the WBBB. I'll adjust it myself to correct the problem, I just don't understand why it's necessary in the first place.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So the same BB has been hanging in the same place and you haven't changed the suspension length or angle, and still a calf ridge has developed?

As I said, the calf ridge is always there, and provided nothing changed in the hammock (e.g. the whipping slipped) or the suspension (e.g. one side slipped down an inch or two), I'd guess that either your perception changed (e.g. for whatever reason you have started focusing on the area) or you started lying differently in the hammock.

I'd check the suspension carefully. It sounds as if either the cinch buckles are slipping or one strap has been slipping. Both would result in a different lay that could move the calf ridge. I also sleep in a Warbonnet hammock at home, and I have simply put an old feather pillow under my legs. This eliminates any calf ridge and also prevents knee over extension and heel pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    So the same BB has been hanging in the same place and you haven't changed the suspension length or angle, and still a calf ridge has developed?

As I said, the calf ridge is always there, and provided nothing changed in the hammock (e.g. the whipping slipped) or the suspension (e.g. one side slipped down an inch or two), I'd guess that either your perception changed (e.g. for whatever reason you have started focusing on the area) or you started lying differently in the hammock.

I'd check the suspension carefully. It sounds as if either the cinch buckles are slipping or one strap has been slipping. Both would result in a different lay that could move the calf ridge. I also sleep in a Warbonnet hammock at home, and I have simply put an old feather pillow under my legs. This eliminates any calf ridge and also prevents knee over extension and heel pressure.
    Appreciate the feedback. Unlikely, but not impossible that the cinch buckles have slipped. I'll fiddle with it to figure it out. At this time of the year (it's not that cold in Florida right now) I just slip my sleeping bag off my feet and under my knees. But, when it gets cold I'll likely use some of my midlayers.

By the way... since you seem to be familiar with Warbonnet, have you any experience with Warbonnet's bridge hammock? I've heard that it's even more comfortable than the WBBB. Just curious. Might buy one.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Cinch buckles do slip. I sleep full time in a GE hammock.

I actually need to replace my straps each year at home. Every night use even without set up and tear down is hard on them.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Cinch buckles do slip. I sleep full time in a GE hammock.

I actually need to replace my straps each year at home. Every night use even without set up and tear down is hard on them.
    Thank you for that! I've been sleeping in it nightly for about six months so far, so I suspect you're right, then. Didn't realize that they needed replaced that often.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast