DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    One can always jump into the reddit dumpster fire.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One can always jump into the reddit dumpster fire.
    Definitely when it's on fire it's a cluster fire. But overall I think it's okay. I've actually found some super helpful people on Reddit, and generally get more responses. I quite like it because it caters more to DIYers and seems to have broader support for more vendors. Not a critique of HF but there's a lot more people out there who make stuff than the main ones we see here.

But that might also depend on which sub one checks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The owner of the site is entitled to make a profit. It's not just the cost of maintaining the forum. Beyond that, it's an advantage that the public pages are only for hammock related posts. When I click "New Posts", there's enough to look over, without having to wade through a lot of non-hammock related stuff. I used to be a paying customer, but now I don't need the extra content. Once or twice, I have posted things that I knew would go into the paying forum and therefore knew I wouldn't be able to follow any discussion. That's okay.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    Definitely when it's on fire it's a cluster fire. But overall I think it's okay. I've actually found some super helpful people on Reddit, and generally get more responses. I quite like it because it caters more to DIYers and seems to have broader support for more vendors. Not a critique of HF but there's a lot more people out there who make stuff than the main ones we see here.

But that might also depend on which sub one checks.
    I guess I joined at the wrong time. There was a lot of political strife at that time with certain members, led by "Deputy Sean" calling for the boycott of one of our favorite vendors here on HF. So I immediately ordered a quilt from said vendor and ditched /r.

Oh well, that was a fun 3 weeks lol.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I guess I joined at the wrong time. There was a lot of political strife at that time with certain members, led by "Deputy Sean" calling for the boycott of one of our favorite vendors here on HF. So I immediately ordered a quilt from said vendor and ditched /r.

Oh well, that was a fun 3 weeks lol.
    Yup, I pretty much checked out around the same time. A lot of politics, virtue signaling and "there's only one way....." messaging there. Heaven forbid you don't like no-drop shoes and cutting the headband off your head lamp! I'd much rather be in a place where people are civil and there's demonstrable evidence the people do what they claim to do. I think a fair amount of people on R are there for the e-companionship and don't actually go outside.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tplusfive View Post
    The title has backpacking in it. I was trying to find a thermometer I could hang in my hammock but I don’t recall the exact wording of my question and I can’t get access to the thread to see it. What was the reason for creating the donating members forums?
    There is a hammock thermometer thread in the general forums. Try the search feature. I use one by Thermoworks.....size of a half-dollar coin and seem pretty accurate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Yup, I pretty much checked out around the same time. A lot of politics, virtue signaling and "there's only one way....." messaging there. Heaven forbid you don't like no-drop shoes and cutting the headband off your head lamp! I'd much rather be in a place where people are civil and there's demonstrable evidence the people do what they claim to do. I think a fair amount of people on R are there for the e-companionship and don't actually go outside.
    One of the best things about HF, for sure!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Painter's Plastic
    Insulation
    Z-Lite with SPE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thank you for the comments everyone. I have a little better idea of the intention of the donating forum members area now. I understand the need for funding the forums - someone has to pay for this.

If I was writing that post now I would title it a little differently so it is more clear that it is about hammocks. When I come to this forum I am here to talk hammocks. So that is always the context for me overall, and when I put backpacking in the title I was narrowing down a bit to where/how I use my hammock (while backpacking) so that the recommendations are appropriate (e.g. not bulky or heavy).

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Closing thread as OP has their answer
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12