Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

Appalachian Trail 'Flip-Flop' Thruhike 2021

I recently completed an AT flip flop thruhike (VA to Katahdin, Springer to VA) using my hammock(s), and will provide a brief summary of my experience aimed at those who may want to do this. I began preparing for the hike several years ago, when I switched from my Duplex tent to a hammock, so I had made a number of short trips for equipment testing, in addition to the usual backyard testing. My preparation was enhanced through the tremendous resources of Hammockforums and those who post highly relevant topics, comments and videos here. A highlight of my trip was meeting for dinner with CMoulder during the hike, to share hammock and backpacking stories, as I had relied on him for some very helpful preparation advice.

I started north in midApril in Shenandoah with a Dreamhammock Darien and 20 degree TQ/UQ combination, and an HG DCF tarp with doors, switched to a 40 degree setup in the warmer months, then back to the 20 degree setup at the end (which was delayed into December due to a 2 month layoff for foot injuries). Having a tarp with doors was very useful for cold, windy nights spent on ridgelines, more than just staying dry; in early December I added an UQ protector for more warmth. Many of the shelter and campsites are on fairly exposed ridgeline, since of course the AT runs along ridges, or in gaps that channel the wind; these sites often have great views but can expose you to shifting winds on cold nights. When it got really cold and windy I would try to descend at night to protected areas, which also have the advantage of more reliable access to water.

After I tore the Darien through user error, I completed the trip with a WB Eldorado. I had initially chosen the Darien for weight savings, and both were similarly comfortable. On a rare occasion when I was eating dinner in my hammock during a heavy storm, I dropped some food in the hammock, and while reaching back for it fell backwards into the hammock like an upside down turtle. While trying to spin back out I tore the mtn 1.3 fabric, but I think even heavier fabric might have torn. This does point out that thruhikers tend to abuse their equipment as an inherent part of the longterm effort, so having a backup hammock available for mailing is a good idea, rather than waiting for a new order. After a long day hiking 20-24 miles you have a lot of fatigue, you’re often in a hurry to set up before darkness, and you’re more likely to make mistakes that can lead to equipment damage (and personal injury). One aspect of the Eldorado that was superior to the Darien was dual zippers on the WB; since I used a ¾ length UQ I had to make adjustments at times for cold spots, which is much easier with two zippers, and in my opinion worth the extra carry weight.

While I had some initial concerns about finding adequate trees during the hike, particularly in the Northeast (potentially above treeline), as others have noted in this Forum it is easy to hammock on the AT. I typically stopped near shelters, but only spent 3 nights in shelters as I don’t like sleeping in them. Almost all shelters have trees suitable for hammocking nearby, with the additional advantages of a picnic table, water source, privy, and some great conversations. Using these areas also reduces the dispersion of damage to wooded sites; while there are obviously plenty of trees elsewhere on the trail, many are in areas with heavy undergrowth that makes it more difficult to find a clear spot, and I didn’t want to clear brush under my hammock as a part of LNT principles. I used 15 foot Dutchware spider straps, which gave me a lot of flexibility for tree selection, although I think 8 or 12 foot would have been fine; the Eldorado seems to set up better with a really high foot hang, and having longer straps made this easier. There are a lot of dead and dying trees on the AT due to disease and past fires, which was worst in parts of Virginia, so I had to spend significant time avoiding tree hazards (which of course threaten tents as well). After leaf fall it became more difficult to setup after dark, as it is a lot harder to judge the health of your hanging trees at night. Low-lying areas near creeks in the south can be a problem, due to heavy laurel and rhododendron growth, and a relative absence of good trees, but typically if you hike uphill a half mile or so you can find plenty of adequate trees.

I carried my old torso-length uberlight pad as a backup for nights I had to go to ground; given that this was only 4 nights, if I did it over I’d leave it behind, and use my empty pack and sit pad as ground insulation for those rare occasions. I had had concerns about hammocking in New Hampshire, but the tenting areas there are fine for hammocking, and one isn’t allowed to camp above treeline in most areas anyway (and it’s cold up there).

You occasionally run into some odd situations. In NH several camphosts told me to set up over tent platforms; then I had to deal with angry tenters who showed up later, so I stopped doing this (and those platforms increase undersplash). A ranger at a NY state park told me no hammocks were allowed at any NY state parks, although I only found one that enforced this. You have to be careful at a number of campsites that have areas taped off for reforestation, which reduces available trees; you also want to avoid campsite ‘sprawl’ by inadvertently enlarging campsite areas through your choice of hammock location, if possible. In the Smoky mountains thruhikers are required to sleep in shelters unless they are full, but this rule was suspended due to Covid this year. I doubt that this is rigidly enforced in other years, and there are plenty of great trees near the shelters. One reason I avoid shelters is due to loud snoring (interestingly this seems more common for short term backpackers, as thruhikers lose weight [30 lbs in my case] and seem to snore less); however, not uncommonly someone would set up their tent near me and snore all night, so I tried to pick spots away from obvious tent sites, typically on slopes.

One more thing I learned the hard way is, don’t hang too close to a fire ring; someone may come along later and want a fire, which is hazardous to your tarp and hammock, they will often stay up later and keep you awake, and the ash debris on the ground from overused fire pits tends to get on your belongings. On one particularly bad night at a NE hostel the drunken revelers were up until near midnight, and decided to burn whole pizza boxes, which then blew into the air while still alight; I had to temporarily take down my highly flammable tarp until I convinced them to cut that 'stuff' out. I used to enjoy fires in the back country, but my thruhiking experience has convinced me they should really only be done in highly developed campsite areas, to contain the damage that is inherent in this practice. In the Smokies, where dispersed camping is banned, the trail has a visibly more natural ‘feel’ to it, which I think is due in part to the lack of campfire activities outside of organized camping areas.

Two items that made a major difference were bugnet snakeskins from SLD. For my tarp it seemed obvious to add this, but it was also worth it for the hammock, which I could stuff in my pack with both quilts and my pillow in the snakeskin, and there was a useful strap pocket to remind me not to leave these behind (which I saw happen several times on the trail, a real disaster). On the AT you want to do everything the same way most times, to avoid leaving things behind, and the hammock tarp sleeve helped with that, in addition to making it easier to compress the bulky quilts in the bottom of my pack. It's great to be able to make and break camp really efficiently, particularly on windy, wet days, keeping sleeping gear off the wet ground.

In summary my hammock made a huge difference on my AT thruhike, I can’t imagine doing this with a tent and pad setup. I would encourage anyone considering this to go for it.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Nice report! If I were to ever attempt the AT, it would be with a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Great write-up! Very insightful and helpful, even for folks not planning a thru hike as long as the AT.
    Thank you for taking the time to put this together!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great job on your hike!!!!

And thank you for sharing your experiences. Very beneficial!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I recently completed an AT flip flop thruhike (VA to Katahdin, Springer to VA) using my hammock(s), and will provide a brief summary of my experience aimed at those who may want to do this. I began preparing for the hike several years ago, when I switched from my Duplex tent to a hammock, so I had made a number of short trips for equipment testing, in addition to the usual backyard testing. My preparation was enhanced through the tremendous resources of Hammockforums and those who post highly relevant topics, comments and videos here. A highlight of my trip was meeting for dinner with CMoulder during the hike, to share hammock and backpacking stories, as I had relied on him for some very helpful preparation advice.

I started north in midApril in Shenandoah with a Dreamhammock Darien and 20 degree TQ/UQ combination, and an HG DCF tarp with doors, switched to a 40 degree setup in the warmer months, then back to the 20 degree setup at the end (which was delayed into December due to a 2 month layoff for foot injuries). Having a tarp with doors was very useful for cold, windy nights spent on ridgelines, more than just staying dry; in early December I added an UQ protector for more warmth. Many of the shelter and campsites are on fairly exposed ridgeline, since of course the AT runs along ridges, or in gaps that channel the wind; these sites often have great views but can expose you to shifting winds on cold nights. When it got really cold and windy I would try to descend at night to protected areas, which also have the advantage of more reliable access to water.

After I tore the Darien through user error, I completed the trip with a WB Eldorado. I had initially chosen the Darien for weight savings, and both were similarly comfortable. On a rare occasion when I was eating dinner in my hammock during a heavy storm, I dropped some food in the hammock, and while reaching back for it fell backwards into the hammock like an upside down turtle. While trying to spin back out I tore the mtn 1.3 fabric, but I think even heavier fabric might have torn. This does point out that thruhikers tend to abuse their equipment as an inherent part of the longterm effort, so having a backup hammock available for mailing is a good idea, rather than waiting for a new order. After a long day hiking 20-24 miles you have a lot of fatigue, you’re often in a hurry to set up before darkness, and you’re more likely to make mistakes that can lead to equipment damage (and personal injury). One aspect of the Eldorado that was superior to the Darien was dual zippers on the WB; since I used a ¾ length UQ I had to make adjustments at times for cold spots, which is much easier with two zippers, and in my opinion worth the extra carry weight.

While I had some initial concerns about finding adequate trees during the hike, particularly in the Northeast (potentially above treeline), as others have noted in this Forum it is easy to hammock on the AT. I typically stopped near shelters, but only spent 3 nights in shelters as I don’t like sleeping in them. Almost all shelters have trees suitable for hammocking nearby, with the additional advantages of a picnic table, water source, privy, and some great conversations. Using these areas also reduces the dispersion of damage to wooded sites; while there are obviously plenty of trees elsewhere on the trail, many are in areas with heavy undergrowth that makes it more difficult to find a clear spot, and I didn’t want to clear brush under my hammock as a part of LNT principles. I used 15 foot Dutchware spider straps, which gave me a lot of flexibility for tree selection, although I think 8 or 12 foot would have been fine; the Eldorado seems to set up better with a really high foot hang, and having longer straps made this easier. There are a lot of dead and dying trees on the AT due to disease and past fires, which was worst in parts of Virginia, so I had to spend significant time avoiding tree hazards (which of course threaten tents as well). After leaf fall it became more difficult to setup after dark, as it is a lot harder to judge the health of your hanging trees at night. Low-lying areas near creeks in the south can be a problem, due to heavy laurel and rhododendron growth, and a relative absence of good trees, but typically if you hike uphill a half mile or so you can find plenty of adequate trees.

I carried my old torso-length uberlight pad as a backup for nights I had to go to ground; given that this was only 4 nights, if I did it over I’d leave it behind, and use my empty pack and sit pad as ground insulation for those rare occasions. I had had concerns about hammocking in New Hampshire, but the tenting areas there are fine for hammocking, and one isn’t allowed to camp above treeline in most areas anyway (and it’s cold up there).

You occasionally run into some odd situations. In NH several camphosts told me to set up over tent platforms; then I had to deal with angry tenters who showed up later, so I stopped doing this (and those platforms increase undersplash). A ranger at a NY state park told me no hammocks were allowed at any NY state parks, although I only found one that enforced this. You have to be careful at a number of campsites that have areas taped off for reforestation, which reduces available trees; you also want to avoid campsite ‘sprawl’ by inadvertently enlarging campsite areas through your choice of hammock location, if possible. In the Smoky mountains thruhikers are required to sleep in shelters unless they are full, but this rule was suspended due to Covid this year. I doubt that this is rigidly enforced in other years, and there are plenty of great trees near the shelters. One reason I avoid shelters is due to loud snoring (interestingly this seems more common for short term backpackers, as thruhikers lose weight [30 lbs in my case] and seem to snore less); however, not uncommonly someone would set up their tent near me and snore all night, so I tried to pick spots away from obvious tent sites, typically on slopes.

One more thing I learned the hard way is, don’t hang too close to a fire ring; someone may come along later and want a fire, which is hazardous to your tarp and hammock, they will often stay up later and keep you awake, and the ash debris on the ground from overused fire pits tends to get on your belongings. On one particularly bad night at a NE hostel the drunken revelers were up until near midnight, and decided to burn whole pizza boxes, which then blew into the air while still alight; I had to temporarily take down my highly flammable tarp until I convinced them to cut that 'stuff' out. I used to enjoy fires in the back country, but my thruhiking experience has convinced me they should really only be done in highly developed campsite areas, to contain the damage that is inherent in this practice. In the Smokies, where dispersed camping is banned, the trail has a visibly more natural ‘feel’ to it, which I think is due in part to the lack of campfire activities outside of organized camping areas.

Two items that made a major difference were bugnet snakeskins from SLD. For my tarp it seemed obvious to add this, but it was also worth it for the hammock, which I could stuff in my pack with both quilts and my pillow in the snakeskin, and there was a useful strap pocket to remind me not to leave these behind (which I saw happen several times on the trail, a real disaster). On the AT you want to do everything the same way most times, to avoid leaving things behind, and the hammock tarp sleeve helped with that, in addition to making it easier to compress the bulky quilts in the bottom of my pack. It's great to be able to make and break camp really efficiently, particularly on windy, wet days, keeping sleeping gear off the wet ground.

In summary my hammock made a huge difference on my AT thruhike, I can’t imagine doing this with a tent and pad setup. I would encourage anyone considering this to go for it.
    Thanks for sharing. Regarding the snakeskin for the hammock and quilts, did you find that allowed everything to compress down in the bottom of the pack and fill all the little air pockets as well as just putting the quilts in the bottom of your pack liner without the snakeskin? Also, would you see any benefit in using a waterproof fabric for that snakeskin as opposed to the mesh?

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I used a nylofume waterproof liner inside my pack for the hammock setup. I had a chance to compare stuffing the individual components in with and without the mesh hammock sleeve, and found the sleeve much easier, although I never tried out a compression bag. The individual components tended to push back up on one side when you put them in, while in the sleeve, you could push the whole mass down together; the air squeezes out of the mesh snakeskin, and you can 'seal it' by twisting the top of the nylofume bag. It's also remarkably fast to get the hammock up when you camp, and take down in the am is just as fast. I had about a 12lb base weight in warm weather, about 13.5 in cold, and I never had trouble fitting everything in my pack above the hammock and quilts. I started with an old zpacks arcblast then switched to a nunatak bears ears with a bear can on the bottom for the south, after getting a tear in the bottom of the arcblast. If you had a really small volume pack the combined volume of the hammock and winter quilts could be a problem.

At really windy sites the hammock snakeskin works particularly well, as the quilts weigh the hammock down. One particularly windy day I had to put everything up separately (used the quilts in a shelter the night before), and the empty hammock and under quilt protector were like giant wind socks. When you have everything together this doesn't happen.

People have tried DCF skins for tarps and reported that they can accumulate internal moisture, as a wet tarp stays wet in the waterproof sack, hence the mesh seems to be superior. When my tarp was wet I just stored it in the front pocket in the mesh skin. I always hung my tarp sleeve first, then the hammock one. On nice nights the tarp stayed in the snakeskin. If I was concerned about possible rain coming (as opposed to setting up in a storm) I would hang the open tarp over the hammock sleeve, which would prevent getting it wet from a sudden rain, and then decide about whether or not to stake it out later.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    13.5 is pretty good with a 20 degree setup. I'd be curious if you have a gear list already made up. I have a 65L pack and it's a pretty tight fit when I have about 5 days of food in there (or am carrying all of my dog's stuff as well).

Re: DCF skins I would only consider for the hammock/quilts.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I think the reason you may not want a dcf snakeskin for hammock and quilts is that it might be hard to get the air out, although it's possible it could work like a type of compression system, and the sock has to stretch a bit when you're dragging it over the hammock and tarps. I'd like to give a shout out to Jared at SLD, he makes great bugnet snakeskins and ships in just a couple of days. As I mentioned the pocket on the sleeve for the hammock for the spider straps was a great reminder to always pack them away in the same place, and to not leave them behind due to distraction, which is surprisingly easy to do. I found a couple of spider straps on trees at the "Fontana Hilton", a famously luxurious shelter with hot showers and flush toilets near the Fontana dam. By a stroke of luck I then reunited the straps with the young hiker who had left them behind, when I ran into him in the Smokies. He'd been barely getting by with a paracord workaround.

I kept my weight down by using a lot of UL tricks (while trying to avoid 'stupid light' mistakes). My puffy weighed only about 6 ounces, and doubled as pillow stuffing in a goosefoot down pillowcase (critical since I used a 3/4 length quilt), and I had a polartec alpha fleece from macpac in Australia that weighed about 4 ounces, for example. I used an old MLD DCF poncho tarp for rainwear that weighed about 5 ounces, and this doubled as a ground sheet on the rare occasion I went to ground. Since I had a couple of years in preparation I could accumulate some really lightweight stuff, sometimes used (like DCF winter tarp with doors), that would have been more expensive if purchased new at one time. I found that the varied combination of a lightweight long sleeve merino t shirt, the alpha fleece, and a montbell wind shirt (2 oz) covered me for most walking days, at a really light weight. One other item that was really useful was a north x north merino balaclava for sleeping (2 oz) and cold mornings.

I have some old lighter pack lists but my kit changed so many times during the trip that they don't match, and I've found that most people seem to exaggerate their UL status on these anyway. With my heaviest setup (nunatak with bearcan, 5 days of food, and 2l water) I could still be around a carry weight of 25-27 lbs. However, I ran into a lot of hikers with heavier packs who of course did just fine, you can really carry the ultralight idea too far, as many have...). The two snakeskins did add about 8 ounces to my carry, but I was happy with the convenience.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Chef4, Mega congrats on finishing your trip!

Glad to hear that the footwear change prevented a re-occurrence of the injury. Thanks for sharing so many of your hard-earned insights and practical tips for the trail.

And thanks for the reminder about NYS-DEC campground hammock prohibition. At which campground did you encounter this?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I believe it was Fahnestock; I should clarify that I didn't test this apparent prohibition, I called the park office after someone told me about it (perhaps a mistake to have asked permission). Ordinarily thruhikers are allowed one free night camping at that campground, which is about a mile off trail and therefore fairly convenient. There is actually in general very little enforcement of rules along the AT, its up to the hikers to monitor their own behavior, which mostly works fine; the only place I encountered rangers was at Baxter State Park, which of course has a lot of rules and a lot of people enforcing them (but they're fine with hammocks there). The Smokies have more rules than some parks, but I only encountered a pleasant ridge runner who told me to hang my bear can (a few smart bears there had learned to roll them down hills, and the cans could be lost).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast