Hammock
    Warbonnet BB

Hello, from NE Tennessee

I'm retired and live in NE Tennessee, about 6 miles from the AT, although there are an abundance of trails closer in which I prefer. I am new to hammocks, and just got my warbonnet lightweight double yesterday. Just hope I'm not to old for such an adventure as this. Even now I'm wearing my pack around the house in order to strengthen my legs. So much I need to learn, especially the weight / bulk factor. I'm almost 74 so wish me luck, or even laugh, I don't care.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Welcome! Good on you for getting into it, and no one here will laugh at you. It is just like any other activity, practice and getting in shape to have fun is just a part of it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Haven Safa
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Snugpak cocoon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from Arkansas. Never too old to start any hobby. Start slow and light and get heavier as you go.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome from Texas! Take your time, have some fun, and be safe!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
    I'm retired and live in NE Tennessee, about 6 miles from the AT, although there are an abundance of trails closer in which I prefer. I am new to hammocks, and just got my warbonnet lightweight double yesterday. Just hope I'm not to old for such an adventure as this. Even now I'm wearing my pack around the house in order to strengthen my legs. So much I need to learn, especially the weight / bulk factor. I'm almost 74 so wish me luck, or even laugh, I don't care.
    Welcome to HF, Bushmaster.

Knowing absolutely nothing about your background ..... If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to get a thorough physical exam including a good cardiac workup to make sure all is in order as you embark on this journey. Older people in good shape can train to reach a very good aerobic output level with decent endurance.

The good news is that you're getting into the activity at a great time because there's a huge number of choices for lightweight and ultra-lightweight gear that render obsolete the ponderously heavy backpack loads that were the norm. In 'ye olde dayes' I'd carry a 35lb pack for the typical 2-3 night 3-season backpacking trip, but now I carry something like 14-17lbs depending upon location, temps, weather etc. And that includes all gear, food, fuel and a liter of water.

I know this will run counter to a lot of other folks' views, but my advice is to NOT carry a heavy pack but rather do regular walks at 65-70% of maximum heart rate, including hills (take smaller steps, don't stop!), and gradually build distance and endurance.

And I say this as a 65yo who occasionally hikes with people who are 20-30 years younger.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    Beautiful area to go out camping. I love that area! Also I am sure if age hasn't stopped you yet, you'll be fine out on the trail. God's speed to you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yup, pay attention to your body and outfit your gear to suit. You live in a good area with mountains and trails, so your legs are probably in pretty good shape. I use a heavier pack than some because it works better than lighter packs I've tried. Comfort rules. Be prepared to lose muscle mass in the next few years. I did at your age, but it hasn't changed what I can do very much. I hope you have the same experience.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Welcome and glad you are going to get out and see more of the world!
    The mountains are beautiful and there are also many great day hikes around too.
    Great to have you on the forum!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Welcome. I spend about half my life now in southeast TN near BMT. You are still young enough to enjoy the outdoors, but not as energetically as you did when 50 (or even 60). I am a few years ahead of you so know all too well.
    Watch southeast section for information on several hangs close by. Hope to meet you somewhere this year.

Bob

• + New Posts