Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

PeaPod @ 0 deg

I got the Pea Pod out to see how it would do at a little colder temperature than I've used it in the past, mid teens. It was 0 last night. 10 degrees when I set up. At that temperature you don't want to take gloves off! It was a crystal clear night, with snow cover, and a still very bright moon, but way to cold to enjoy that!
    Details as follows:

Open ended tarp shelter
    WalMart gathered end hammock
    Heavy weight unders, fleece baklava, Borah Gear down pants, wool socks, OH so warm Taiga Gear down booties, EMS down jacket (not a parka weight)

NO under pad or top quilt to start, only the Pea Pod, that's it.

1st hour: my back warmed slightly, but not "Sandy beach" warm. CBS very annoying, but I probably could have slept, except I didn't. It did warm up top side, and the enclosed space very well.
    2nd hour: By now the temp. is inching down to zero. I added my DIY car windshield sun screen under pad to the bottom with my back directly on it. END of cold, including CBS. Instantly.
    3rd hour: I wake up feeling cool, not shivering but knowing what direction things are heading. Time to add my Sierra Design Mobile Mummy. Ahhh, better.

2 am: my feet got cold in the booties.😭 Not good, moved around for a while, and that improved. It was probably poor circulation.

Observations on the Pea Pod:
    I've used it with a insulated pad before, with out a pad it's probably not going to be comfortable below 30/35.

1. It sets up fast, no adjustment, just reach out, grab both sides and pull it till you can feel it press up underneath
    2. Breathing with the balaclava pulled up over nose and mouth, and with the Pod well clear, no condensation.
    3. I should have prewarmed with a hot water bottle, that would have made a world of difference. My bad on that.
    4. Using a compression sack, the volume for packing is not bad, considering all the other stuff you don't need. But sled packing is perfect.
    5. Using my Goose Feet down pants, and having parka would be advantageous.
    6. A thermally reflective under pad, or insulated pad is absolutely necessary, even with a insulated pad..
    7. I can't Velcro and snap it closed with gloves on, and, it's a little finicky, especially in the dark, again my hands get real cold, real fast.
    8. It would be nice to have a draft stop on the closure, it doesn't close dependably, and I added more snaps.

I will refine a few things, and keep using it.

IMG_20211223_195959.jpg 95ac46f0-8560-4f74-b3da-1b3999e02a89.jpg Screenshot_20211224-024445.png
    Last edited by psyculman; 12-24-2021 at 04:14.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts