Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    i been going there every year since 2019 sometime multiple times. Roan mountain area, Damascus, Grayson Highlands, Hot Springs MC and Max Patch is my favorite places on the AT that i've been on. Laurel Falls close to hamption tn and not far from roan mountain is a pretty hike also.
    I haven't been out to the Laurel Falls way or to the Damascus stretch. If they are as good as Roan, Grayson Highlands and Max Patch to Hot Springs I might have to check them out

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Three of us (smkymtns, El Gordo, and me) attempted the full section hike from Hughes Gap to 19e back in Oct. It rained the first two days and turned to freezing rain/sleet/snow the first night at Thomas Knob shelter. Reportedly the highest elevation shelter on the AT, we were thankful for a dry spot to change our clothes and cook some warm dinner the first night, but boy was it a cold night in the hammocks. We ended up bailing the next day at Culver’s Gap due to lack of dry clothes and continued rain. Looking forward to doing it again when the weather is less severe. Great hike but the elevation and exposed Balds sure can test your gear and spirits. Thanks for the video Layne, looks like a whole other hike in the summer setting.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Three of us (smkymtns, El Gordo, and me) attempted the full section hike from Hughes Gap to 19e back in Oct. It rained the first two days and turned to freezing rain/sleet/snow the first night at Thomas Knob shelter. Reportedly the highest elevation shelter on the AT, we were thankful for a dry spot to change our clothes and cook some warm dinner the first night, but boy was it a cold night in the hammocks. We ended up bailing the next day at Culver’s Gap due to lack of dry clothes and continued rain. Looking forward to doing it again when the weather is less severe. Great hike but the elevation and exposed Balds sure can test your gear and spirits. Thanks for the video Layne, looks like a whole other hike in the summer setting.
    That sounds like quite the adventure, and not at all out of the norm for that area. Even for me in the summer on day 3 it hailed. Hope you get to make it back in better times to fully enjoy Roan

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12