Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Test: Superior Gear 30F insulated hammock and SMR Inferno 30F TQ at 25F

So, a couple of nights ago at 3300 ft elevation in NC, the forecast low was 18 to 24F, with 3 mph wind. I did not have all my gear with me. I did have my tarp, but did not want to bother pitching it on the Tensa stand. I was covered with a roof on the wide open porch of a mountain cabin, on a 2nd story porch.

There was a bit of wind getting thru- not much- so with a possible 18 plus maybe a little wind chill, I was a bit paranoid about getting by with 30F rated gear. So I layered up.

1: I took my UL down jacket and wrapped it around the foot end of my insulted hammock.

2: I was wearing cotton PJs and a cotton shirt.

3: Over that I placed my OR WPB rain gear(as a fake VB) with the TQ's built in hood over my head.

4:Over that, I put my 12 oz total weight hooded Climashield jacket and 8 oz Climashield pants. No long Johns.

5: in the foot box of my 30F rated TQ, I placed my thin AHE CCF foot pad. No wool socks, just my daily wear of thin nylon socks.

6: no tarp or UQP

I hopped in about 10 or 11PM, and put my feet, in the TQ foot box, under the down jacket that was wrapped around the hammock. I forgot my ear plugs. After a few hours, I woke up quite hot and needed to vent. My feet and head were particularly hot and starting to sweat. I reached down and pulled the foot pad out. I realized my head was uncomfortably hot, so I pulled down the hood on the TQ and tucked it round my neck, now only wearing the thin nylon hood of my WPB rain jacket. No cap or hat.

I was amazed at how long I stayed warm. My head felt much better except for my ears were a little cold. Some of the local farm animals were waking me up making a lot of noise, I had forgot my earplugs. I still needed to remove some layers, probably most of all needed to remove my fake VBs. I realized that, with all the animal racket, and especially if I got up to remove layers, I was going to be a long time getting back to sleep. But, as warm as I was- too darn hot and sweating actually- I knew I was going to make it with ease, even if it hit 18F, so I bailed about 0200 or 0300, at 25F. (maybe 27 or 28 when I climbed in a few hours earlier.)

So, by layering some of the clothing which I would almost surely have with me on any winter trip, including possible VBs, with my 30F gear, I was significantly over heating at 25F, which tells me that I would have been fine somewhere(how far?) below 20F. Or, if I had removed some layers, I still think I would have been fine down to about 20 to 25F. On my back or switching to fetal, I never a single cold spot any where. Without most of these layers, I feel sure that the Sierra Madre Reserach(SMR) 30F Inferno hooded TQ and Superior Gear 30F insulated hammock combo will be good by themselves, for me, somewhere below the 30F rating.

Also, considering that I was way too hot 5F below the ratings, I suspect that- just as I have been told- that even water proof/breathable (WPB) rain gear will serve fairly well- when close to skin and worn under insulation- as a VB.

Excellent gear.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good test and useful data points!

So often I read that extra clothing can make you colder but I also find that not to be the case for me. Down to about -10°F, many times I have used a 20deg-rated TQ combined with my down parka and pants (in addition to various other layers) and remained perfectly warm.

And I concur that 'fake VB' WPB shell layers actually do help a lot... not blocking but merely slowing down evaporation also helps.

Good to hear that with the Superior Gear 30deg hammock you did not encounter CBS. BUT, my 40deg EE UQ works fine for me down to low 30s, so I'm not surprised but happy to know their rating is conservative.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BillyBob58, thank you for your report. We’ve all heard that “Cotton Kills” but for me, that’s only if it gets wet. Otherwise,”Cotton gives comfort.” - especially in night clothes. Or in really hot/summer environments, wetting a hat or shirt gives necessary cooling.

I haven’t been chilled by wearing extra layers under the TQ but I miss the EoW (Envelope of Warmth), that I feel when the warm air, trapped by the TQ, surrounds me. With extra clothing layers, I’m not cold, but I’m not as comfortable.

The most important cold weather item for me is a balaclava. And when it’s really cold, one that I can pull over my nose.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    sooo.. does the Superior trump the ol Peapod?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think I remember Shug saying that he's taken his 30° Superior hammock well-below the temp rating and stayed plenty warm. I'm thinking that 30° is probably a very conservative rating for them. Just from what I've heard, it could probably be more like a 10° setup.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I think I remember Shug saying that he's taken his 30° Superior hammock well-below the temp rating and stayed plenty warm. I'm thinking that 30° is probably a very conservative rating for them. Just from what I've heard, it could probably be more like a 10° setup.
    Had my 30º SG to 14º.....was warm and good.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Thanks all for the interesting comments!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Good test and useful data points!

So often I read that extra clothing can make you colder but I also find that not to be the case for me. Down to about -10°F, many times I have used a 20deg-rated TQ combined with my down parka and pants (in addition to various other layers) and remained perfectly warm.

And I concur that 'fake VB' WPB shell layers actually do help a lot... not blocking but merely slowing down evaporation also helps.

Good to hear that with the Superior Gear 30deg hammock you did not encounter CBS. BUT, my 40deg EE UQ works fine for me down to low 30s, so I'm not surprised but happy to know their rating is conservative.
    Yes, for sure, anyone who knows anything about me knows that I am a layer kind of guy. Like you, many is the time that I have pushed gear well past their rated limits by adding layers. This SG hammock looks so darn lofty that- as confirmed by Shug's experience- I probably would not have needed any layers at that nights mid 20F lows or maybe a good bit lower. But, like I said, since I had very little experience with this brand, and the forecast temps were well below it's rating, plus some slight wind chill(no tarp or UQP), like I said: I was paranoid! Plus, though the SG hammock-to me anyway- looks warmer than 30F- I could not exactly say that about the SMR TQ. Sure, it looks at least as lofty as other 30F TQs, but not more so. So, layers it was! And boy did that work! Too well!

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Thanks for the report, I am going to get me one after first of the year! I’m curious as well, does it compare to the pea pod? I like that you can snap the top quilt in and make a cocoon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    BillyBob58, thank you for your report. We’ve all heard that “Cotton Kills” but for me, that’s only if it gets wet. Otherwise,”Cotton gives comfort.” - especially in night clothes. Or in really hot/summer environments, wetting a hat or shirt gives necessary cooling.

I haven’t been chilled by wearing extra layers under the TQ but I miss the EoW (Envelope of Warmth), that I feel when the warm air, trapped by the TQ, surrounds me. With extra clothing layers, I’m not cold, but I’m not as comfortable.

The most important cold weather item for me is a balaclava. And when it’s really cold, one that I can pull over my nose.
    Yep, I am a "cotton kills" believer, and I never take cotton as insulation on backpacking trips. I might take some as a cooling layer when I have plenty of non cotton. But in non critical situations, when a bail out option is certain, I sleep in cotton all the time, and have not yet needed to bail because of that, and when it is truly dry it can really be comfy. In this case, I was really pushing "safety", since I had my faux VBs over these cotton layers, so if my body vapor condensed or I sweated much at all, it could not wick or otherwise escape and I would be stuck with that well known terror: wet cotton in cold conditions. But then again, the warm cabin door was about 10 ft away, and cotton was all I had other than bare skin, so what the heck. Though I'm sure my feet were sweating(no VB, nylon socks) and my head was about to sweat until I removed the hood, I did not notice any damp cotton. And it for sure did not make me cold. So, this time- and once again- cotton did not kill. But I would not trust it for a NY minute in the outback, unless cold or even cool weather was not reasonably possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    sooo.. does the Superior trump the ol Peapod?
    Now, there is a tough question. I certainly had nothing but total success with my Speer Pea Pod. It was the bomb, wish I still had it. But I suspect that this SG set up approaches the pods draft proofing as far as the UQ function goes. I'm not sure, but it certainly seems totally free of cold spots, and it can not gap loose beneath the hammock like an UQ can. Of course, it does nothing to help my TQ be draft proof, though I do wonder if the SG TQs snap in place, which if so might lessen the possibility of a draft. I do not know. But, there were certainly no signs of a draft the other nigh, if anything I was in need of a small draft!

Then again, The SG insulated hammock is still an UQ, just one that is built in and requires no adjustment and which can not develop a need for adjustment during the night. But still an UQ. So no reason why a pod could not be added it to it, a roomy bag, even a "summer" weight, to encircle the pod and TQ and supplying the total draft proofing like a sleeping bag does. For when some extra warmth is needed. Like Shug has done with his DIY pods. Then again, the last thing I needed the other night was more warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Yep. Based on his comments, and the way this thing looks, 30F seemed really conservative to me, though people vary. But my TQ seemed to be of a thickness more like a true 30F TQ. So, with some possible wind chill and one forecast of 18F(other forecasts were more like 24F) I figured I was going to be cold, so I layered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Had my 30º SG to 14º.....was warm and good.
    Yep. I knew you had been to 19F and were toasty, did not know about the 14. But then again, you are Shug of the frozen and Great White North. Your acclimatization must be profound. I am from MS for goodness sake. Is it just me, or do you think this UQ seems unusually thick for a 30F?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Thanks for the report, I am going to get me one after first of the year! I’m curious as well, does it compare to the pea pod? I like that you can snap the top quilt in and make a cocoon.
    Hey there, Skippy! See my response to CrawlDaddy re: the Pea Pod. I think you will LOVE it. In addition to being a VERY efficient under quilt, I also find it to be an exceptionally comfy gathered end hammock. I lean towards bridge and 90º hammocks for overall comfort, but I find this GE at least as comfy as any other GE I have used, and maybe the best of them. Close enough that I might be willing to do away with my other hammocks. I know that the TQ can clip under the hammock to greatly boost it's range, but I'm not sure how that works for the TQ function. Shug? Any experience with that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast