Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

drastic differences in fill weight / temp ratings

Help me understand..Im trying to decide which would be a better deal. I already have a good hammock

A 20* XL Wookie has 9.84 ounces of down (+- $250) without hammock

A 15* Superior Hammock has 17 ounces of down (+- $360) with hammock

Its hard to tell if the Superior has that much more volume that needs filling. But 7 ounces difference with fairly similar temperature ratings ???

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Yeah, generally I think temperature ratings are primarily a function of how much loft the quilt has.

The Superior will require more down than most any underquilt for the same loft / temperature rating because of the design (no matter what way you position yourself you’ll be insulated— the entire width of the hammock is insulated). With the Superior, you trade weight efficiency and some level of modularity with for the simplicity / foolproof insulation— you never have to fiddle with an underquilt to get proper fit or worry about the UQ sliding off your foot or shoulder. (At least as might be the case with a standard UQ).

The Wooki only insulates a cross-section of the hammock, so it doesn’t need as much down to do that. I haven’t used a wooki, but provided it fits your hammock properly, it sounds like it provides some (or much) of the advantage of less fiddle without the penalty of added weight. I’m sure other Wooki users will chime in though

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Is the fill power the same in those comparisons?
    Also, one companies temperature rating is hard to compare to another companies. In my experience there can be a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    hmm.. my 11' Dutch hammock and 20* XL Wookie weigh in 3#. (850 fill)

The basic 15* Superior hammock w/o the bells and whistles weighs in approx 3# also. (800 fill)

Im still confused. Wookie covers underneath well but was hoping the Superior might have some obvious advantages

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Hopefully this image will do the differences justice. They're laid out ahead of a hike on Sunday, so let me know if you'd like any more info.

Front: HG 20* Burrow (that probably needs a good wash at this point)
    Middle, right: SG 15* hammock
    Middle, left: Wooki XL 20*
    Back: EE 10* Revelation

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I looked up the dimensions of the 2 items, the Superior regular size is 58" x 78" and the Wookie is 44" x 76" with a an addition taper to the foot end .... so there is a significant size difference between your candidates. The Superior is also using 800 FP down as standard and the Wookie is using 850 .... so it isn't surprising that you are seeing a fair weight difference between the two.

I assembled a temperature vs loft table from several of the cottage vendors and they were all pretty much the same. Weight is not really a good way to judge a quilt, you really need to consider the loft, that is pretty much the starting point for temperature rating. There are a few others factors, but loft is the single most important value, regardless of the down used.

This is the table I use:

Down Information Table
    Imperial Metric
    Degrees F Loft Height (in) Loft Height (cm) Degrees C
    40 1.5 3.81 4.44
    30 2 5.08 -1.11
    20 2.5 6.35 -6.67
    10 3 7.62 -12.22
    0 3.5 8.89 -17.78
    -10 4 10.16 -23.33
    -20 4.5 11.43 -28.89

Brian

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks everyone for taking time to educate me. At this point it looks like its time to do some practical experience. Looks like a Superior hammock will come my way in a while.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    hmm.. my 11' Dutch hammock and 20* XL Wookie weigh in 3#. (850 fill)

The basic 15* Superior hammock w/o the bells and whistles weighs in approx 3# also. (800 fill)

Im still confused. Wookie covers underneath well but was hoping the Superior might have some obvious advantages
    Regarding overall weight and bulk, the shell material also has a huge impact. There's a stark difference between 20D and 10D and for sure 7D.

So you might be comparing apples and kumquats.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Regarding overall weight and bulk, the shell material also has a huge impact. There's a stark difference between 20D and 10D and for sure 7D.

So you might be comparing apples and kumquats.
    True that ^^^^

In my opinion a Wooki also sleeps a little chillier because it does not wrap up high along the sides so the Superior Gear would have the advantage there with the cost of weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    With this reply I'm not trying to start something, but am curious and seeking understanding about quilt shape design.

In the olden days (pre-Wooki), most-all UQs were rectangular unless they were something like a pea-pod. I presume (key words), the design thinking was probably something like, "have rectangle, fill it with down". One day, the Wooki UQ hit the scene with its asymmetric design to fit an asymmetric hammock. The design thinking was something like (I presume), "only use down in places where the human body will contact the down since those are the places that benefit from down's insulating properties." The down-filled corners of a rectangular UQ aren't doing nearly the warming work as the center of the quilt since body parts rarely touch the corners.

If my presumptions are accurate, that emphasizes the points made above that loft is the key factor and makes a point about design efficiency and weight of an UQ. To counteract the possibility that the Wooki "might" sleep chillier, the companion top quilt design shape is important as well. In the same way that the Wooki UQ is designed to fit asymmetric hammocks, the Mamba and Diamondback TQs are also designed to make sure all points of your body are touching insulation especially down by your feet (round enclosed footbox) and up by your shoulders (wider cut) where the Wooki tapers away.

Caveat: I've only experienced a Wooki and a Mamba in a Blackbird XLC so my presumptions may not reflect experiences with other designs/products.
    The game is the best teacher.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast