Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Hang family going to Idaho - 2022

It's official, we've booked an airbnb for 2 months (June, July) for our family next to the Big Lost River. I'm so excited I've already put tentative hikes out there for each weekend, organized my fly boxes to create a dedicated fly box for the trip, and stimulated the economy by purchasing a few nice-to-haves.

I could use some help around 2 points in case someone has feedback on the tentative trips I'm planning relevant to these points:
    1. My daughter will be 4 at the time, so if you've done these hikes or know any other good ones in the Sawtooth/White Cloud/Franklin Church area that are suitable for young ones.
    2. Spring runoff. I have never experienced this and have absolutely no clue what to expect. I've tried to minimize creek crossings because they will be a PITA and potentially dangerous with the dog and daughter. Am I being too concerned about it with the trips planned?

Planned trips
    1/2 nighters - Stanley Lake to Hansen Lakes (probably the most questionable route), Hell Roaring Lake, Langer/Ruffneck Lake, Iron Bog Lake, OCalkens Lake, Merriam Lake (if I can rent a side by side to drive up to the TH)
    3/4 nighters - Alpine Creek Basin, Boulder Chain Lakes, Eagle Cap Wilderness
    Week-long trip without the kid when the parents visit - Hailey-Washakie Loop in WRR with a couple of backup hikes in the Sawtooths and Bighorn Crags

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That sounds fantastic! I don't know if you have been to that area before, but that area is one of my favorites. Just beautiful.

Hang,

Spring runoff out here, is a thing that needs to be addressed. However, it is too early to tell how it will affect your trip for next summer. All depends of course on snow levels and then how the melt off takes place.

Figure out which USFS Ranger District oversees the area(s) in which you plan to hike. Give them a call now and then check in more as the date looms. They would be glad to help. Right now it is the off season for them. Thus, they may be able to spend a good deal of time on the phone with you.

June/July is prime skeeter time for that area. Factor that in. They can make or break a trip.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That sounds fantastic! I don't know if you have been to that area before, but that area is one of my favorites. Just beautiful.
    I did a trip out there last year and it was awesome enough to justify my WFH office changing IP addresses for a little while.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Hang,

Spring runoff out here, is a thing that needs to be addressed. However, it is too early to tell how it will affect your trip for next summer. All depends of course on snow levels and then how the melt off takes place.

Figure out which USFS Ranger District oversees the area(s) in which you plan to hike. Give them a call now and then check in more as the date looms. They would be glad to help. Right now it is the off season for them. Thus, they may be able to spend a good deal of time on the phone with you.

June/July is prime skeeter time for that area. Factor that in. They can make or break a trip.

Have fun.

Bob
    Good idea, I'll reach out and start the dialogue with them. I'll try to find a few more hikes without stream crossings and low elevation just to have some backups.

• + New Posts