Lynx underquilt modification

Has anyone added down to a full length Lynx underquilt, I ordered the 40 degree being in Florida but this thing is so thin. I’m doubting my decision. I’m thinking about adding a small amount of down to make it closer to a 30 degree. Has anyone done this before and how did it work.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Have you tried it out yet to verify?
    I personally would not modify, but sell and repurchase one that better suits your needs.
    if I’m being honest, keep the 40* and also purchase a 20* and I’d bet you’d not regret it.
    kris

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmazuro View Post
    Have you tried it out yet to verify?
    I personally would not modify, but sell and repurchase one that better suits your needs.
    if I’m being honest, keep the 40* and also purchase a 20* and I’d bet you’d not regret it.
    kris
    I concur. For warmer weather it's nice to have a wispy thin, barely there UQ, which you would likely need frequently in FL!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I agree too (also?). Keep the 40, purchase something else to supplement your Florida climate.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Daleneson, welcome to the forum.

From the getgo, I don’t know anything but the temperatures and humidity in Florida - except there is some. All my Florida experience comes from reading Travis McGee, Jesse McDermitt, and Hiaasen character novels. And I don’t know your comfort level with your local (or where you’ll go adventuring) night time temperatures and the gear you have now.

That said ...
    Two common sizes/ratings for TQ’s and UQ’s are 20° and 40°. Those cover most conditions except dead of winter (in some locations). Note that down has a wide comfort range. I don’t recall being overheated because of a UQ rating but I have had to vent a TQ if it got too warm.

Problem is, different people create different amounts of heat. Remember, the quilt doesn’t make the heat; you do. the quilt just “captures” the heat you make. So any quilt warmth rating is subjective to the user - and the manufacturer. Just as pants of size X from one manufacture fit nicely and pants of the same size X fit too tight or too loose from another, so there can be a variation between two vendor’s comfort rating. Yes, there are supposed to be standards but there are so many pieces in that equation.

So how do you learn. You just have to start. For example, I know if a quilt is rated at 40•, I will be comfortable at 50°. As the temperatures approach 40°, I pay more attention to wearing a sleeping cap, loose but warm jammies, etc. At some point near or below 40°, I’ll switch over to 20° gear. I’ve learned this by sleeping outside pretty much during every month of the year and in the winter I use one of the Min/Max thermometers that are mentioned in other threads. It tells me what the lowest temperature was during the night and I know if I was warm and cozy or not. So I learn what works for me.

From that, and reviewing the average nighttime temperatures around here (about 4000 ft elevation and above with a ski mountain just 25 miles away) for any new purchases I may switch over to a 10° and 30° set. But if I do, I’ll STILL KEEP, my 40° quilts because I kayak camp and at those elevations - just above sea level - summer time can be quite comfortable with just a 40° ¾ length UQ.

If you have a Lynx, that’s for a Ridge Runner, right? If so, some lore professed in these threads is that with a bridge, the TQ warmth has more impact than the UQ. So upgrading your TQ is a consideration. But if you need a little more warmth with your Lynx UQ, especially if you have a Double Layer RidgeRunner, you can experiment with a sheet of ReflexIt (at your local Home Depot or Lowes, etc.) to supplement the UQ. From the roll, it is already a good width. You just have to cut the length you want. If you don’t have a DL RR, others can recommend if you should put it in the body of the RR or between the RR and the Lynx. The Lynx fits snuggly so I’d imagine the Reflexit would fit between it and the hammock just fine - but I don’t know from experience.

If it works, the ReflexIt is a lot less expensive than an new UQ and may do the job if you just occasionally need to give your 40° Lynx a little help. If it doesn’t work, you can use the ReflexIt to make insulators for you cooking gear (YouTube is your friend).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-20-2021 at 19:26.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use a 40F 3/4 length HG Phoenix for nearly all my FL camping. I've found that as it approaches the lower 40s and paired with a 40F top quilt (HG Incubator), my lower legs and feet get cold. But, it rarely drops below the 50s at night during winter. However, I also have a 20F full length HG Incubator. There are a few times we get actual winter temps here, but those are from winter storms so we also get high winds and and usually get a wind chill factor.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    MtnFly
    Insulation
    lynx, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + prussik
    i have a single layer WBRR with a 20 lynx, and am usually camping in the western states from the coast to the rockies. i use a 10 TQ which definitely helps push the heat back down; i sleep cold, so this set up will comfortably only take me to about 35, unless it's a very dry cold, like in the desert.
    below that i use a synthetic throw that i just hang between the lynx and the body of the hammock. no attachments or anything, the lynx just holds it in place. thats taken me down to 10 deg, toasty warm. i havent been in conditions colder than that but my guess is i can go to 0 deg no prob.

i know this is colder than the OP's stated conditions, but i don't see why the principle shouldn't apply- just take a fleece or some other small throw like that and put it between the lynx and the hammock if you find your 40 isn't enough for you.

i also think that synthetic is better for adding to the lynx in anything but the driest of conditions. i've noticed the down loses from 5-10 deg of warmth rating with humidity, so more often than not, when i need more warmth its because there's moisture in the air, and the synthetic isn't affected. it also doesn't need to loft, so stuffing it inbetween the lynx and the hammock doesn't affect its ability to add to the warmth. if you add down, you'd need to string it to hang below the lynx, and there'll be a lot of fiddle factor trying to avoid gaps between the two.

so bottom line, my advice is to take a small synthetic throw with you. test your 40 lynx without it and if it isnt enough add the throw. then, if that still isn't enough, i'd consider trading or selling your 40 for a 20.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a comment about “adding down”. ... I discussed this with Hammock Gear at one time. They reminded me that’s it’s the loft, not necessarily the filling that contributes to the insulation. They said a little “over stuff” might keep the down from shifting a bit - but that can be a feature or a bug because if it can shift a little, you can “emphasize” the down in one area (or cool it if you are trying to loose some heat). Their point was, in general, if you are considering more that 2 oz overstuff, it’s better to just go for a warmer quilt.

Of course all “knowledge” is at a point-in-time. Now-a-days, with different materials, baffle patterns, fill choices, statements such as the above might be amended.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I've been thinking of seeing if I can get my WL top quilt altered, I might just have to re-buy one closer to my specs and sell mine. Marty at Wilderness Logics had his team convert my quilt from snaps and draw string to a round, sewn footbox but sadly he passed and Wilderness Logics shut down, I'd hate to have to sell.

• + New Posts