Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There are 2 styles of Wookies. One is made to fit the regular BB and one is made to fit the XLC BB. Just make sure you get the right one. I have a 0 degree Wookie I use with my BB. Very nice.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I started with a cheap Amazon hammock and found head right comfortable in that.

Then I "graduated" to a proper hammock. After lots of back and forth on research on hammockforums I settled on the WBBB XLC because it promised reversability. It is technically true and I reversed it, because that's what I was used to and liked. But even though it's reversible, it's not actually exactly the same, at least on the version I got! The attachment loops for the tie outs on the bug net are different depending on whether you have it in standard lay or reversed. Also the little bit of fabric to tie the bug net up is completely in the way of the zippers when you reverse the lay. Not a problem in regular lay as you won't use that zipper to get in and out but very much a hassle (getting stuck in the zipper all the time) if you reverse it and get out that side ...

It was annoying enough to me that I actually got used to laying the other way instead of putting up with these differences. YMMV as always.

FWIW, I have a HG Incubator + SLD Trail Winder that I combine temp rating wise depending on season.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Lots of Wooki lovers out there. It sure what the figure four sleeping shape is. Though I side sleep on both sides and guessing one of them is the figure four.

Still really on the fence. I really like the concept of having a UQ that is specifically designed to work with my hammock. And have looked at the custom design options as I am not in a hurry.

though down itself is not a huge seller for me and from what I understand it is less weight and more volume that is the advantage to down over synthetic. Compressibility.

i have to talked myself into both options repeatedly.

Wooki - designed to fit, down is the premium option, might be narrow near the legs, buy once. Likely a 20C with a slight overfills (and 950 down)

Simply light - fit might not be ideal, could get 30C quilt with and snap to bring it won to 10C (though I do not generally camp when it is below freezing), synthetic might be better for damp Oregon.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Then I "graduated" to a proper hammock. After lots of back and forth on research on hammockforums I settled on the WBBB XLC because it promised reversability. It is technically true and I reversed it, because that's what I was used to and liked. But even though it's reversible, it's not actually exactly the same, at least on the version I got! The attachment loops for the tie outs on the bug net are different depending on whether you have it in standard lay or reversed. Also the little bit of fabric to tie the bug net up is completely in the way of the zippers when you reverse the lay. Not a problem in regular lay as you won't use that zipper to get in and out but very much a hassle (getting stuck in the zipper all the time) if you reverse it and get out that side ...
    It sounds like you want to switch your lay but not your entry side. If a person with a regular lay would want to do what you are doing, they would get in and out on the shelf side. While this is technically possible, it means that you are constantly colliding with the contents on the shelf and that the bug net tie-outs are in the way. If you would use the mirror lay XLC in the same way that most people use the regular lay XLC, you would get in and out on the shoulder side. What you want is basically a mirror lay but not a mirror entry/exit side. If the tie-outs are your only problem, simply cut them off.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    This is a funny conversation as it has ended up having little to do with my initial question. Though I have decided some things in my old man way and will close out what that is:

At this point I believe I am going to buy a Simply Light. And going to go non-asym. It will be a little heavier but I am really a poor sleeper. In the best of cases I will change positions six times a night (I made that number up). But really. I shift. Even in my hammock. I think I get the best sleep opposite of the designed lag.

I'm sure the Wooki is a great, easy to install gear. I thought about it for my XLC. However, I like to switch from side to side at times. As a result, I bought an Incubator and a Zeppelin. The flexibility of suspension gives so many options. I'm not expert and I have to adjust my quilt by myself. I've never been cold with either with my simple, "rough" adjustments.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Not that anyone besides myself probably cares but in the end I got even something different. UGQ Zeppelin. Long (I'm 6'2"). 20° with overstuff. There are just so many options out there it gets a little out of hand sometimes trying to figure out what to buy.

I should add that I believe this is the single most expensive piece of outdoor equipment I have bought that I have to carry (bikes and boats carry me). I am going from a $50 quilt to a $400 quilt. OOf.

On my budget quilts. I have two.
    - The Wise Owl is OK but not particularly warm. It is like a cheap sleeping bag. And it is actually OK for what it is.
    - King Showden is the other one. And I am very mixed on it. The shape of it is awkward though it has never left me cold. I actually hate it. But it has never left me cold. So there it is. Bulky? Yes. Heavy? Yes. Comfortable at 30°F? Yes.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 01-07-2022 at 18:25.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post

I should add that I believe this is the single most expensive piece of outdoor equipment I have bought that I have to carry (bikes and boats carry me). I am going from a $50 quilt to a $400 quilt. OOf.
    Right there w/ you on that. In fact my TQ even cost more than my bike and almost as much as my kayak.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Before you pull the trigger on that 950 fill, you might want to search for some threads - maybe the UL sub-forum - on 850 vs 950. It’s all a compromise so if you are looking at 950 fill and “just like 850 but lighter and more expensive” you might be missing and issue or two. I’m not at all saying 950 is bad. Just that UL isn’t aways, “Just as good but lighter and more expensive."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Ugh. Too late (maybe). Too many options. Which I guess is a good thing. Maybe.

and I did pick 950. And with overstuff. But mostly because of my axiom that if the difference in price is $100, get the better one. Though my quick reading suggests that there could be a moisture robustness difference. Which would be unfortunate as that is part of why I trend towards synthetics.
    And I should also add I do not buy gear very frequently. The cheap quilts were more because I was not sure I would like camping with a hammock. So I went ‘high end’ on the hammock itself and cheaper on the other bits. But have found I do like it and am now filling in the other bits.

Though the Wise Owl tarp is as good as I can find without going to Cuban fiber. So I suspect that could be with me for a while.
    Last edited by Sean McC; 01-08-2022 at 01:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast